Nunes striking light years ahead of Ronda, could beat her today

tumblr_nssodaGWWG1rofocqo1_500.gif

tumblr_nssodaGWWG1rofocqo2_500.gif

Pretty cool sequence in the first gif. You can tell Sara does not respond well to getting hit.

This much is clear: Lioness will put up a much longer and more competive fight than Rousey's last three opponents combined.

She's rough/tough, no doubt...but don't be in such a hurry to feed her to Ronda. She could really be something in a year or so. Young division, I know, but still. You don't send a AA prospect pitcher up to face MLB sluggers just because you don't have attractive arms in the bullpen. Let the stew cook.

As an observer who is unskilled in striking technique (I tend to rely on my one shot KO power), I have always wondered why so few fighters try to take advantage when their opponent throws spinning shit and misses. Seems like you would have a split second to time and throw a shot before they get their bearings again.

Nunes does exactly that here, and I really liked it. Most fighters seem to give their opponent a few seconds for a free reset.

Daniel_Straus_vs._Pat_Curran_2.gif

I love it when fighters capitalize throwing a telegraphed leg kick then take ages to completely spin around(usually with their guard down).

As for why it's so rare in MMA I guess it comes down to the risk of rushing into a backfist disguised by the kick or some other strike. The timing is not the tightest but it's something you have to be fully committed to as soon as the opponent begins to turn.

Really, more often than not a fighter landing a shot off a slow kick + spin of their opponent leads directly to a knockdown. So, the reward is worth the risk which makes it all the more frustrating to see that go unpunished so often.

Ronda beats her in a round, but her standup is stellar. I'd like to see her fight Holm. That should be the next #1 contender fight IMO.

You make match-ups like that when a division is deep and stacked. Right now, that would be knocking off contenders. The UFC, being business smart, will do their best to keep contenders lined up for Rowdy.

Meh. It's hard to imagine any of the women at 135 beating Rousey anytime soon.

She's a better striker but Ronda is a better fighter and athlete and would take her down and smash her.

she could probably win if it was a boxing match.....but then you have to factor in Ronda's unbreakable chin and the fact that she is most likely the heaviest hitter and strongest woman in the division despite having sloppy striking

Lol dafaq was that spinning maneuver from McMann... She should be cut just for that.

Kidding. But seriously, that was bad.

I think you'd be surprised at how many elite fighters do it and most don't even pay for it.

I guess alot of fighters really don't want to get Shonie'd.

I have always wondered why so few fighters try to take advantage when their opponent throws spinning shit and misses. Seems like you would have a split second to time and throw a shot before they get their bearings again.

Fear of spinning shit?

I like Amanda, but its going to take more than good stand up to win against Ronda. Could she put a fight? Yes, I think so because Amanda has good striking, and is a BJJ black belt/Judo brown belt.

But Ronda is a master at adjusting, and the minute she feels threatened she will adjust and end it.

You make match-ups like that when a division is deep and stacked. Right now, that would be knocking off contenders. The UFC, being business smart, will do their best to keep contenders lined up for Rowdy.

If they do that they will continue to be plagued by claims that Ronda isn't fighting "real" competitors, that title shots are just given away so Ronda can beat up a new face.

I think it's more reasonable that the Nunes Holm loser would just take 1 step back and fight for the title a year (or two title fights) later.

Not really, Holm should at least have another 2-3 fights before thinking about a title shot.

That fight would make her 10-0 in MMA, she's already fought a 5 round title fight in MMA. She's 33 which means she's headed out of her prime. She's been a professional boxer since 2002 and a professional fighter for 4 years. She's won multiple belts in boxing and kick boxing. She's not exactly wet behind the ears anymore. What do you consider ready?

Ronda fought for the title in her 5th pro fight.

In a standup only fight, Nunes would whoop that ass. But it wouldn't be a standup only fight. Ronda would take her down and sub her.

I'm happy that Amanda has continued to improve as she seemed to have a lot of hype a few years back that was unwarranted.

No fighter is invincible and Ronda will eventually be defeated but at this point she has the benefit of the doubt and a fighter would have to definitely win a round in the cage before I say that fighter could beat Ronda.

If they do that they will continue to be plagued by claims that Ronda isn't fighting "real" competitors, that title shots are just given away so Ronda can beat up a new face.

I think it's more reasonable that the Nunes Holm loser would just take 1 step back and fight for the title a year (or two title fights) later.

The people that say that, will most likely say that no matter what they do.

Back