News Nunes, Namajunas, Nurmagomedov and Ngannou are nominated for Best MMA fighter in this year’s ESPY’s

Khabib hasn't fought this year tho? wtf
It should be Usman. He defended his belt twice and we are only in the first half of the year. If he defend the belt a third time it shouldn't even be a question.
Each Espy award ceremony is for the year preceding it so this years is to recognize the year of 2020 which Khabib did fight

IVx4YO.gif
giphy.gif

All I can think of right now is Chevy Chase playing golf

Francis
Or
Amanda

Lol at khabib being on this list like I get it but FFS

Oliveira? Usman? Why 2 WMMA fighters? Also Valentina is much more umpressive than Rose. Yes Rose landed a good kick but is only on a 2 fight streak and her previous fight was a split decision win over the chick Valentina totally dominated.

What dates do they use for the cut-off of the "year"? It can't be 2020, otherwise Rose wouldn't be there as she just had 1 fight and it was a split decision win over Andrade. Is it something like May 2020-April 2021? That's the only justification I can make for this particular set of fighters. Even then, Usman should definitely be there over Khabib (3 title defenses for Usman and 1 for Khabib in that span).

What dates do they use for the cut-off of the "year"? It can't be 2020, otherwise Rose wouldn't be there as she just had 1 fight and it was a split decision win over Andrade. Is it something like May 2020-April 2021? That's the only justification I can make for this particular set of fighters. Even then, Usman should definitely be there over Khabib (3 title defenses for Usman and 1 for Khabib in that span).
Each Espy ceremony is for the year before

It's gotta be Jan Blachowicz. The run he's gone on. Knocking out Corey Anderson, then Reyes to win the belt, then beating Adesanya who was undefeated and killing everybody in his own weight class. I don't know if there's anyone more deserving. Not quite sure I understand why Khabib is on there, except for maybe a career-accomplishment award or something haha.

Ngannou wins easy destroying goat HW all time but knowing UFC they pick rose only because it’s wmma and lacking division

Because she's already murdered everyone. Ngannou hasn't been winning championship fights, Nunes has.

Of the year dude, of the year. She fought Felicia fkn Spencer in 2020. Not much of a jump in competition in 2021 so far either with Anderson. Lets give awards to people who fight killers.

It's gotta be Jan Blachowicz. The run he's gone on. Knocking out Corey Anderson, then Reyes to win the belt, then beating Adesanya who was undefeated and killing everybody in his own weight class. I don't know if there's anyone more deserving. Not quite sure I understand why Khabib is on there, except for maybe a career-accomplishment award or something haha.

I agree. If it is for this year and I had to pick from the list, it would be between Francis and Rose. They both beat legitimate fighters.
Khabib shouldn't be on the list and Nunes has crushed 2 cans in the last 2 years.

I get the feeling that this has to do with things other than fighting.

Who? Jan fought once this year, and it was beating the other guy you mentioned LOL

Everyone but Khabib on the list fought once this year. At least Rose and Francis fought legit people, Nunes Beat up a girl who had no business being in there. The list should have been a lot different imo.

I would have at least dropped Khabib for not actually competing and Nunes for lack of competition. I would substitute Marty Usman and Jan if we are only allowed to draw from belt holders. If it is any fighter, that could change things again potentially.

I agree. If it is for this year and I had to pick from the list, it would be between Francis and Rose. They both beat legitimate fighters.
Khabib shouldn't be on the list and Nunes has crushed 2 cans in the last 2 years.

I get the feeling that this has to do with things other than fighting.
Yeah. Exactly. I understand Nunes being on there because she smokes everybody she fights, but if we're being honest here. Beating Felicia Spencer and Megan Anderson isn't more impressive than beating Corey Anderson, Dominick Reyes, and previously-undefeated Israel Adesanya, who could lay a claim for "Fighter of the Year" in his own right. Or in Francis' case, blasting through Rozenstruik traveling mach 1 and then KO'ing the most accomplished UFC heavyweight of all time is definitely more impressive than what Nunes or Rose accomplished this past year. I'm fans of both of those women, but that's how I honestly feel about it. With a few title defenses, Rose definitely deserves to be on that podium. But she JUST won the belt back. She needs to defend it a few times, in my opinion. Khabib being on there is purely about a career accomplishment thing and honestly, he deserves some kind of award just for that. Retiring undefeated. Smoking everybody he ever fought. Absolutely. But should that supersede what Blachowicz has done? He wasn't even supposed to be champion, much less blow through several top contenders in a row and then beat one of the best P4P fighters in the sport. It's him for "Fighter of the Year" and I can't believe he's not even in consideration.

Give it to thug rose 90% of sherdog said she would lose and that it was a horrible stylistic match up! Yet rose finished her in quick minute.

Two fighters I don't know (women or midget I'm guessing) and one guy who fought just once? Wtf are those options.

Back