NS choke high%

do you think its as high % or close to that of your average subs like arm triangles kimuras ect?
Besides a fully locked in RNC, in no gi the head and arm triangle is my highest percentage finish because there are few viable escapes as compared to omoplata, kimura, NS choke, etc.

NS is good, but for me it seems to take a little longer to lock in so the escape percentage is higher.

I learnt it years ago as a White Belt from a guy under Marcelo and the finish rate is really high % for me if i actually get there. I struggle to get to the position on anyone good though as they tend to see it coming a mile away.

It really is a feel thing i think as its much more about your body position than arm squeeze. I can't finish at all with my left arm even nogi :-(

The one of the biggest keys is to pull their chin back and tilt their head up with your arm, tilting your shoulder down into them. Toe walking.

It's the same thing with any neck choke, if their chin is tucked that changes what you do, if their neck is pulled open that makes it easy.

There are a lot of different things here and there that can all add up to extra pressure. Some people figure out one or two things that can let them get taps in rolls - like a grip structure that concentrates force, or moving back pulling their chin out to expose vulnerability, or circling into them to increase pressure, and so on - to be able to put anyone away though, it pays to give yourself the advantage by coordinating things, so that your forces from different parts all flow together to maximize your strength, and you don't exert forces in ways counter-acting other exertions of force weakening your strength.

Last edited:
It is one of my favorite no gi attacks. Imho what helps is that you have really good side mount pressure, i dont think alot of bjj guys practice side mount as much they practice back or mount....

I find myself in that position almost every time I'm on top but I cannot finish it (or if I do, only as a neck-crank kind of deal).

Used to train with someone that had an absolute naaaaaasty NS choke tho. Like the first time he put it on I remember instantly tapping but the world was already going black after just a couple of seconds, it was wild.

NS choke is my specialty. Took years to really perfect it. Works great in class, almost 100%, but not so much in comps. In fact according to bjjheroes in pro comps Marcelo has 17 rncs, 11 armbars, 8 guillotines, but only 6 ns chokes and he's the master. Food for thought.

NS choke is my specialty. Took years to really perfect it. Works great in class, almost 100%, but not so much in comps. In fact according to bjjheroes in pro comps Marcelo has 17 rncs, 11 armbars, 8 guillotines, but only 6 ns chokes and he's the master. Food for thought.

To be fair I feel like Marcelo is known for his RNC/guillotine. Monson is known for his NS choke, as is Marcelo. Marcelo, however, stands alone in his use of the RNC/guillotine.

How did you approach developing this technique?

monson hits them quite a bit too i dont think that guys r missing it n comps it smore of them not getting to the
position to hit it
To be fair I feel like Marcelo is known for his RNC/guillotine. Monson is known for his NS choke, as is Marcelo. Marcelo, however, stands alone in his use of the RNC/guillotine.

garcia goes through phases in 2007 he was super into omoplata crucifixes in 2009 he started to develop his ns choke and stoped really attacking the back as much now he seems to work guillotines the most as its easier to get to guys today have such scrambly guards that he doesnt pass as easily a she use to

int he past Marcelo was the best guard passer in bjj till around 2009 when open guards became a lot better he stoped attacking the back and ns as much and hits guillotines more

Being 230lbs+ and a wrestler, I get to this position all the damn time, especially in no-gi, and I've finished this choke exactly 0 times. I cannot, for the life of me, get a feel for how to finish it. I really need to find someone who is good at it and pick their brain.
If I'm not able to finish it it is usually because my bicep is not tight enough to the neck. Ask your training partners where they have space and work on closing it.

garcia goes through phases in 2007 he was super into omoplata crucifixes in 2009 he started to develop his ns choke and stoped really attacking the back as much now he seems to work guillotines the most as its easier to get to guys today have such scrambly guards that he doesnt pass as easily a she use to

int he past Marcelo was the best guard passer in bjj till around 2009 when open guards became a lot better he stoped attacking the back and ns as much and hits guillotines more
Some of this is just incorrect. Marcelo's NS choke was well developed before 2009. He did several in 2007 and he won adcc that year with a NS choke in the finals. He hit consecutive NS chokes in the 2010 worlds. In his final adcc in 2011 he passed everyone he subbed before subbing them.

Marcelo's guard passing didn't decline or get worse. His guillotine definitely got sharper as time went on but he never stopped passing and attacking the back.

Some of this is just incorrect. Marcelo's NS choke was well developed before 2009. He did several in 2007 and he won adcc that year with a NS choke in the finals. He hit consecutive NS chokes in the 2010 worlds. In his final adcc in 2011 he passed everyone he subbed before subbing them.

Marcelo's guard passing didn't decline or get worse. His guillotine definitely got sharper as time went on but he never stopped passing and attacking the back.

marcelo doesnt take the back and finish nearly of what he use to do its due to everyone else getting that much better though i remember him again rolling with guys back n the day and he could anything he damn near wanted but nowadays guys are just a lot better

marcelo doesnt take the back and finish nearly of what he use to do its due to everyone else getting that much better though i remember him again rolling with guys back n the day and he could anything he damn near wanted but nowadays guys are just a lot better

What is back in the day? Marcelo hasn't competed for the better part of a decade.

You make way too many assumptions based off training footage

Some guys are better at certain moves than other guys. NS is high % for me. But I can understand why it doesn’t work for everyone. It can be tricky getting the right angle.

But a fun little trick if you have the position but can’t get the right angle, you can mata leao your arms and shove your fist into their carotid.

I’ll try to find a vid

Edit. Something like this but from NS.

Last edited:
I love this choke. It can be really aggravating when you're not getting it though, but once you are really sinking into the mat, sliding down and back, laces down, thumb facing up, that's when good stuff happens.

This move really upsets me, because I used to have a decent feel for it and catch it pretty frequently then about two years ago it went away completely.
That's pretty interesting. What do you think changed - did you start doing more gi, or gain/lose weight or something?

for whatever reason the mechanics of most chokes have always come easy to me. arm triangles, guillotines and even N/S. I find its more about scooting back further than you think you need to, being heavy and dropping weight at a slight angle while flexing my chest and arm a little. the deepness of the set up is what really gets it done for me.

Back