Now YOU can grapple just like Marcelo Garcia!!! :)

In another two or three weeks I'll start taking one advanced class (which Marcelo teaches) per week. I'm also looking into saving up for private lessons with him.

Such a beast.

love that site. i used his stuff in all of my matches at the nationals last week. helped tremendously!

How is the NYC academy? im looking to finally try bjj after years of procrastination. im old and just looking to train for fun and fitness. i'd be coming from staten island but willimg to commute twice weekly if the atmosphere is welcoming.

This.

I train at Marcelo's academy in NYC and these are some of things he really emphasizes into putting into our game.

Its sick to see how the simplicity and effectiveness of Marcelo's game transfers over to someone who studied his technique.

I swear man...everyday I train at the academy I just keep thinking how I need to simplify my game more and more.

how do you like training with paul schriener there now? dude completely changed my back control and choke game.

I disagree with this. If growing knowledge of sweeps killed sweeps in MMA as an effective technique, then why didn't growing knowledge of submissions kill the submission game in MMA?

I'd argue that the issue is simply a matter of preference. Most people like to submit from their back rather than sweep. At our academy we even do "sweep only" specific training to force guys to spend more time learning how to effectively set up sweeps instead of just throwing up submission attempt after submission attempt.

Neither submitting nor sweeping is "easy." But I think it is incorrect to suggest that one is inherently more difficult than the other in MMA.

I still would say a sweep is just a tad more difficult to pull off than a submission but
in either case sweeps and submissions become inherently more difficult when one is being punched, or having to worry about getting punched, during a fight.

I've been training there since day one and I gotta tell you it's the best school in the city. Both Paul and Marcelo have so much to share and teach.

It's so weird when you can hear people you reognise in the background of these videos.

Back