Now YOU can grapple just like Marcelo Garcia!!! :)

Does Marcelo mostly teach stuff from his game (from what you see on Mgination.com)?

Like, does he go over spider guard and DLR guard, or is it mostly seated, HG, xguard?

Yeah, mostly that.

He teaches what he knows works. like you mentioned above hg, butterfly, xguard, taking the back, guilliotine, n/s choke, some armbars, rnc ...etc

However, he does teach escapes/guard passes when you find yourself stuck in spider or dlr so you're not at a loss when you find yourself in these situations.

fun stuff man. if anything, try to visit the academy, he'll def roll with you if he's there and not injured.

Yeah, mostly that.

He teaches what he knows works. like you mentioned above hg, butterfly, xguard, taking the back, guilliotine, n/s choke, some armbars, rnc ...etc

However, he does teach escapes/guard passes when you find yourself stuck in spider or dlr so you're not at a loss when you find yourself in these situations.

fun stuff man. if anything, try to visit the academy, he'll def roll with you if he's there and not injured.

Is his reasoning tthat he thinks the stuff he teaches will work against everyone, regardless of size?

I always wonder how well Marcelo's game would work for someone that is not Marcelo size.

Marcelo has always said that his game would work even better with someone bigger.

The bjj he teaches and uses is specifically non-attribute based.

It's not really about "bigger".

For example, right now I'm like 170lbs, around 6'2. If I were to compete, I'd go down to leve. I'd have a hard time playing x guard on a lot of the stockier guys in that weight class. I guess other stuff he does would work. Leo Santos is about my height, and 10-15lbs lighter, and played butterfly guard.

Man, that shit was awesome; a guy above posted that it was exactly like watching vintage Marcelo and I didn't believe that, but it certainly, certainly was.

I used the arm drag to leg-trip and then the single leg from there, in my last comp-- both of which I got from MGInAction (and his ADCC with Renzo). [Mine were nowhere near as graceful or good as this guy's stuff though-- that was fantastic to watch].

sweeps used to be really common but as wrestlers/judo guys with strong bases and knowleges of BJJ technique came to the game BJJ guys had a harder time sweeping, it not as easy as saying this guy should sweep.

I disagree with this. If growing knowledge of sweeps killed sweeps in MMA as an effective technique, then why didn't growing knowledge of submissions kill the submission game in MMA?

I'd argue that the issue is simply a matter of preference. Most people like to submit from their back rather than sweep. At our academy we even do "sweep only" specific training to force guys to spend more time learning how to effectively set up sweeps instead of just throwing up submission attempt after submission attempt.

Neither submitting nor sweeping is "easy." But I think it is incorrect to suggest that one is inherently more difficult than the other in MMA.

I'm not sure if marcelo has seen this but it's pretty cool.

I was actually quite impressed. You can surely see Marcelos style in his grappling.

Marcelo has always said that his game would work even better with someone bigger.

I find it very interesting that he said that....b/c I am a lot bigger and I study his game via MGinAction intensively and it works very well for me.

My thinking was that if it worked so well for him as a smaller guy, then maybe my size/strength advantage doing the same moves would pay off even better, and thats pretty much been the case.

Thanks for posting this, I feel like my theory has been validated by the master.

Does Marcelo mostly teach stuff from his game (from what you see on Mgination.com)?

Like, does he go over spider guard and DLR guard, or is it mostly seated, HG, xguard?

The great majority of it is stuff from his game.

Could someone elaborate specifically on what exactly is one legged x-guard? Thanks

The great majority of it is stuff from his game.

Cool.

There are certain things he does that make more sense to me than the alternative. For example, I focus on omoplata's more than triangles, even though I am built for triangles. It makes more sense because there are some people that still smash right through them (of course, I am also working my triangles so I can lessen the number of people that can stop them). I don't like kimuras or head and arm chokes, and myprime objective is to take my opponents back.

Some of this other stuff, xguard, seated guard, I will need to work on at some point. Not anytime soon.

Could someone elaborate specifically on what exactly is one legged x-guard? Thanks

watch the video.

it's where you trap the opponents leg with your arm (around your hip). Your outside leg is hooked around his leg and your heel post on his hip. your inside leg is pressed against the same leg that you have trapped. you raise your hips and pinch (like an armbar almost).

easily transfers into full x-guard which is what the guy did in the video.

Back