Now YOU can grapple just like Marcelo Garcia!!! :)

Drew Foster

Silver Belt
Reaction score
This guy posted this match on MGinaction. He said every technique in the match he learned off the website. Pretty cool actually.

guard pull - push kick sweep - 1 legged X-guard - full X-Guard - shin-in ankle trap sweep - step pass from standing - North/South choke FTW!

Last edited:

BTW, I just got the World 2010 today. In Marcelo's 1st two matches, He does two passes straight to the N/S choke in a combined time of just a few minutes. Insane. I didn't even know people tried that with a gi on.

How's your N/S choke coming along?

That's so weird to see. Everything he did was vintage Marcelo.

I've got the shoulder pressure, elbow to the hip and lat flare all worked into one movement. Haven't had much success in sparring yet, still working.

the guy in white rashie didn't put up any resistance at all after he got swept..

This.

I train at Marcelo's academy in NYC and these are some of things he really emphasizes into putting into our game.

Its sick to see how the simplicity and effectiveness of Marcelo's game transfers over to someone who studied his technique.

I swear man...everyday I train at the academy I just keep thinking how I need to simplify my game more and more.

I always wonder how well Marcelo's game would work for someone that is not Marcelo size.

sweeps should be used a lot more in mma.

sweeps used to be really common but as wrestlers/judo guys with strong bases and knowleges of BJJ technique came to the game BJJ guys had a harder time sweeping, it not as easy as saying this guy should sweep.

Looked very smooth. Definately was technique over muscle in that match.

I'd love to see a video of me next to this one.....I'm sure I look much more spastic and trying to muscle everything compared to this guy.

This.

I train at Marcelo's academy in NYC and these are some of things he really emphasizes into putting into our game.

Its sick to see how the simplicity and effectiveness of Marcelo's game transfers over to someone who studied his technique.

I swear man...everyday I train at the academy I just keep thinking how I need to simplify my game more and more.

I remember having trouble passing guards, and my friend had recently bought the Winning Techniques DVD. So we watched the passing guard stuff over pizza. The step-over pass blew my mind.

This.

I know Marcelo doesn't teach it to you guys (tat I know of) but does anyone there teach you guys the Darce, Anaconda, etc?

I know Marcelo doesn't teach it to you guys (tat I know of) but does anyone there teach you guys the Darce, Anaconda, etc?

Why do you think Marcelo wouldn't teach those techniques? I know he doesn't use them, but I'm sure he teaches stuff that is outside of his game.

Why do you think Marcelo wouldn't teach those techniques? I know he doesn't use them, but I'm sure he teaches stuff that is outside of his game.

They don't seem to be taught on MGinaction.com.

They don't seem to be taught on MGinaction.com.

Does Marcelo mostly teach stuff from his game (from what you see on Mgination.com)?

Like, does he go over spider guard and DLR guard, or is it mostly seated, HG, xguard?

Honestly, out of all the classes I've been to (average 3x a week since his school opened) never been to one where he has.

But as mentioned above, most if not all of Marcelo's classes are recorded and put on the site pretty fast, so you're getting a very large portion of what he teaches at the academy

Back