Now would be a good time for Jon to retire

clivers

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Sorry to add to the list of Jon Jones threads plaguing the boards currently but as many have already said I think Jones has peaked and is no longer getting better, he arguedebly lost his last two fights and I think its only going to get worse from here.

Anyway now would be the perfect time to retire having beaten Gsps record for title defences he could leave on top without tarnishing his legacy (ye I kno its already kinda tarnished)

One thing I'll add though is I think it would be good if he came back to fight someone like Israel once he became a bigger star and just do money fights every so often what are your thoughts? At this point he has nothing else to prove.

Makes sense to me. GSP kind of did the same thing after he get rekt by Hendricks and it worked out great for him. Jones could also come back for the HW title if there is a weak champ and be the clear GOAT, since he has no losses

I can absolute see fans saying "If he had only returned after the Reyes fight..."

Would like to see how he would do at HW first.
I'd say he still has some fights left in him.

Yeah otherwise he seriously may very well lose to the Jan vs Corey Anderson winner, which will be strange.

Sorry to add to the list of Jon Jones threads plaguing the boards currently but as many have already said I think Jones has peaked and is no longer getting better, he arguedebly lost his last two fights and I think its only going to get worse from here.

Anyway now would be the perfect time to retire having beaten Gsps record for title defences he could leave on top without tarnishing his legacy (ye I kno its already kinda tarnished)

One thing I'll add though is I think it would be good if he came back to fight someone like Israel once he became a bigger star and just do money fights every so often what are your thoughts? At this point he has nothing else to prove.
Its true, the last 3 fights he didnt was the "OLD" Jon jones, how a fighter ends his career have a lot of influence in his legacy. Nevertheless the legacy of JJ as the GOAT his ruined for his problems with the PEDs.

Makes sense to me. GSP kind of did the same thing after he get rekt by Hendricks and it worked out great for him. Jones could also come back for the HW title if there is a weak champ and be the clear GOAT, since he has no losses

USADA change the game, after the JJ issues with the drug test his performance started to going down, Jonny Hendricks is the perfect example, look how it change his performance in the octagon.

He should retire then come back in a few years at Heavyweight when there is a one eyed weak champion, win that belt then disappear again without defending the title.

Yeah otherwise he seriously may very well lose to the Jan vs Corey Anderson winner, which will be strange.
That's honestly a great fight for Jones to go out on. Rack up 1 more defense just for good measure.

Let's face it, Jan or Corey are no threat to Jones at all.

His legacy is fucked if he goes out losing to Adesanya or something.

Any time would be good, but so long as he can make another few mil or more per fight, he will keep doing that.

He should fight well into his 40's. He should be able to be a champ for another year at LWH, then move up to HW, maybe get lucky like DC did with a good matchup.

Then keep fighting after his loses, just keep making money off his big name until he is a gatekeeper in his 40s.

He doesn't seem like he would be good at anything else and would probably get into a lot of legal troubles if he had more free time.

Isn't he like only 30?

For a fighter, it is still in the Prime age range but definitely getting towards the end of it.

There is no real formula but "generally" fighters start to slow down past their mid 30's.

He definitely needs to plot his next moves very carefully.

Although his speed and reflexes and beginning to diminish, he appears to still have a wicked chin. Heavyweight seems like a good move since his declining attributes won't be as noticeable up there. Stipe sounds good. If he wins that, maybe a title defense against DC. Then retirement.

Back