Now we know what was like to live in '74

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by prikoke, Jan 3, 2015.

1. prikoke

prikoke Brown Belt

Imagine being a Muhammad Ali hater in 1974 (there were A LOT of reasons to hate the guy). You knew you were in for several years of Ali dominating the sport, trash talking everyone, being disrespectful but still the best fighter. Watching the Thrilla in Manila documentary is way harder than seeing DC cry on FX.

I guess we're in for the same treatment, boys.

2. jx820

jx820 Black Belt

Not me, I'm pretty content with having a monster sit at the top of the division breaking records, elbows, and spirits.

Time will redeem him the same way it did Ali.

3. peytonlucy

peytonlucy Silver Belt

I was a Muhammed Ali hater in 1968. I got to see the tv replay on ABC 30 days after the first Frazier fight where Frazier handled him easily. I was pleasantly surprised to see Norton beat him in the first fight, again on ABC, and two very close decision wins over Norton. I watched Ali - Norton II in slow motion in its entirety (those Ali jabs were often glancing or not even with a solid closed fist.)

I predicted that Ali was going to throw the first Spinks fight about 6 months to a year before they fought and before the fight was announced. Ali fought a fair number of bums so it was pretty consistently he should of lost or he beat a bum in the second reign. I didn't get any pleasure out of seeing Holmes humiliate him or the Berbick loss.

I sometimes wonder what it is with people who can think Louis Farrakhan is a race baiting dog but love Ali - they are the same thing and in the late 60's in the same photo's if you've been paying attention.

4. prikoke

prikoke Brown Belt

You were alive in 1968??

5. emax

emax Black Belt

Here's an interesting take on Muhammed Ali: http://www.danielpipes.org/3161/muhammad-alis-beautiful-soul

I mean, shit dude, as annoying as Jone's dominance is and as fuckin annoying as his worshippers and fanboys are, history has indeed taught us it could always be worse.

6. Kickwrestler

Kickwrestler Orange Belt

Ali was a heavyweight.

[/thread]

7. spin

spin Gold Belt

dude, no