Now illegal to hurt Muslims' feelings in Australia

Trying to find the Hitchens video where he said there will be a time when we cannot challenge Islam. And we should challenge it every day while we still can.

I don't think things are going to go as they seem at the moment. Nothing's a slam dunk.

A united worldwide fight is going to have to happen now. As in sooner than yesterday.

You can't have a group that promotes what Islam promotes and that is ignorant and behind the civilized world in all categories literally bullying the civilized majority at every single turn through obscene violence and threats of obscene violence.

Back on topic... the current revisions to the national Australia discrimination legislation were introduced back in 1995. Despite Brandis and Hanson wanting to repeal them for obvious reasons, there's currently zero chance.

Nick Xenophon rules out support for removing 18C from Racial Discrimination Act

Crossbench senator Nick Xenophon has ruled out supporting any future changes to the Racial Discrimination Act, effectively blocking any amendments.
Liberal Democrat senator David Leyonhjelm plans to introduce a bill to remove section 18C of the Act, which makes it unlawful for someone to do an act that is reasonably likely to "offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate" someone because of their race or ethnicity.
Crossbench senators Derryn Hinch, Bob Day and One Nation politicians have also voiced support for amending 18C, which was brought in by the Keating government in 1995.
Attorney-General George Brandis ruled out changes to the legislation last week.
Senator Xenophon has told the ABC he would not support any changes, citing the failed attempt for amendments by the former Abbott government.
He said the proposed amendments, pulled off the table by former prime minister Tony Abbott in 2014,"weren't well considered".
"I can understand some of the arguments put forward," he said.
"But when you have both the Jewish community and Arab community on a unity ticket, in the same room, saying 'we think these amendments are reckless', then you know this is an area that we shouldn't go down."
If Labor and the Greens also maintain their opposition to changes, there is little chance any amendments will pass the Upper House.
Opposition Leader Bill Shorten has called on Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull to rule out using the Act as a bargaining chip for the crossbench.
Mr Shorten told media in Melbourne he was concerned it may become an issue as Mr Turnbull was "hostage to the right wing of his party".
"We've seen Turnbull back down on a range of issues," he said.
"He backed down to the banks, he's backed down in terms of supporting Kevin Rudd for an international position.
"Goodness only knows what he will do on 18C, if people put pressure on him."
The Racial Discrimination Act was first introduced in 1975 and changes to 18C were made in 1995 when Parliament passed the Racial Hatred Act.

Not so much. I don't mind a good rant. In fact long rants were the good old days of the War Room. Everything is going to shit with the number of people posting crappy memes and retweeting nonsense from nobodies. I'd go to facebook or twitter if I thought interesting political discussion was about brain dead drongos cut and pasting meaningless crap in response to stuff they haven't read and don't understand.

Boy, you're just full of rainbows and sunshine today, aren't you?

Time to release your stress in a more productive way than "whinging" about the WR.

People from Sydney call Canberra a hole.
I was referring to Newcastle as a great city. Canberra is generally considered a hole. I remember a clip of Billy Connelly in Canberra on a spot over looking the whole of Canberra saying "So this is Canberra, the national capital of Australia. Personally I think it looks like a shit hole" or something like that.

What one person deems insulting, another may just laugh off, it's so subjective.
You may call an Englishmen a 'pommie bastard,'[which is a common, tongue in cheek, 'insult.'] and the guy get really upset and makes a complaint.
Whereas you say it to another pom and they laugh and call the other person an 'Aussie dickhead,' or something.

Isn't there a different law that was created this year, a 'religious-vilification one?' It was put forward by the Greens[as far as i know] and they said it is there to stop people insulting Islam. Never said anything about other religions.

What one person deems insulting, another may just laugh off, it's so subjective.
You may call an Englishmen a 'pommie bastard,'[which is a common, tongue in cheek, 'insult.'] and the guy get really upset and makes a complaint.
Whereas you say it to another pom and they laugh and call the other person an 'Aussie dickhead,' or something.

Isn't there a different law that was created this year, a 'religious-vilification one?' It was put forward by the Greens[as far as i know] and they said it is there to stop people insulting Islam. Never said anything about other religions.

No. The state religious-vilification revisions to existing descrimination legislation largely evolved out of the Fredrick Toben holocaust denial cases.

Back