Novice Strongman contest in NC, Sept 25

Hypothetically speaking, what kind of equipment would one need? Belt, wraps, straps, sleeves, chalk?

Also, how would one want to adjust the intensity of their current program to plan for this? Continue as is until a week before the contest then deload for that last week? Or something else?

Hypothetically speaking, what kind of equipment would one need? Belt, wraps, straps, sleeves, chalk?

Also, how would one want to adjust the intensity of their current program to plan for this? Continue as is until a week before the contest then deload for that last week? Or something else?

You don't need anything for the contest. Chalk and tacky will be provided. A few guys might wear a belt for the Fingal Fingers I suppose, but I find a belt for the other events to be far too limiting when it comes to movement. Wrist wraps on the Fingers would be a good idea if you like the support they give for pressing- I have wrist wraps anyone can use if they don't have em, as well as a belt. Sleeves are just another personal preference, I don't use them but some guys do.

Bus pull and tire flip are 60 feet, Farmer's Walk is 50 ft.

Are the atlas stones, tire, etc. the same weight regardless of weight class?

I wore a belt for Farmer's, but it was 200+ per hand, not 120.

Honestly, if I was close, I'd come to this contest to compete because, like the poster said, it is really light.

Aug 23, 2010 around 5pm I will be helping Kenny promote the contest at the University YMCA in Charlotte, NC. implements will be there for ANYONE to come try out, this practice session is to increase interest among potential competitors. I'll bring some stone tacky so guys can have at the Atlas stones.

University City Branch YMCA YMCA of Greater Charlotte
8100 Mallard Creek Road
Charlotte, NC 28262-2238
(704) 716-6700

Both Strongman shows I competed in I had no idea WTF I was doing. The first meet, I had never pulled a firetruck, never hoisted and carried a Conan's Wheel, never cleaned and pressed an axle, never used a yoke, and done a true Farmer's Walk, and never loaded an Atlas Stone.

I placed 5th out of 12.

I learned on the fly by watching my fellow competitors lift, and by failing. The moral of the story is to stop analysing and start moving some shit.

Great point, if you're interested in strongman just get in there and do it. My first strongman contest I bombed out pretty bad and placed behind a girl, she was strong though, beat at least 5 of us boys.

I wore a belt for Farmer's, but it was 200+ per hand, not 120.

Honestly, if I was close, I'd come to this contest to compete because, like the poster said, it is really light.
I've always felt like the belt slows me down on Farmer's.

I would love to do this but im in the wrong country!!

I now have a PDF of the entry form, if anyone wants it PM me with your email.

Open practice will be Monday, Aug 23 6pm at the University YMCA in Charlotte. Everyone's welcome!

University City Branch YMCA
8100 Mallard Creek Road
Charlotte, NC 28262-2238
(704) 716-6700[/quote]

There will be 4 open practice days before the contest- Sept 15, 16, 21, & 23. All will be at the Salisbury Y and will be in the late afternoon. And for you guys coming into town the day before the contest (Sept 24) Kenny said it would not be a problem to practice events then.

This thread has a lot of views! Anyone else considering competing?

This thread has a lot of views! Anyone else considering competing?

I'm thinking about making the trip. I'm competing in a crossfit/strongman steeplechase in Oct., and this would be great practice. I don't have any experience with tires etc, so this would be a good event to get my feet wet.

I'm thinking about making the trip. I'm competing in a crossfit/strongman steeplechase in Oct., and this would be great practice. I don't have any experience with tires etc, so this would be a good event to get my feet wet.

Then this contest would be perfect for you. PM me your email if you'd like me to send you the entry form.

Back