Novice Strongman contest in NC, Sept 25

Tamaon

White Belt
Reaction score
This is the perfect strongman contest for beginners. The Strongest Man at the Y will be held Sept 25, 2010 at the Salisbury, NC YMCA. Events:

-short bus pull
-Atlas stones (180lb, 235, 250)
-tire flip (600lb tire)- if you can DL 225lb then you can turn this tire over!
-farmer's walk (about 120lb per hand)
-Fingal Fingers

Weight classes:

under 175
176-210
211-250
251 & up

Entry fee is $25. I've done this contest before, it's well run and a good time. For more info contact Kenny Seagle at (704) 636 0111 ext 223, email [email protected]

Salisbury, NC YMCA YMCA of Rowan County
828 Jake Alexander Blvd West
Salisbury, NC 28144

Media coverage from last year:

Strong man competition | Salisbury, NC - Salisbury Post

Participants cheer each other on at Strongest Man at the Y event | Salisbury, NC - Salisbury Post

This strongman contest is designed with the absolute beginner in mind, you don't need any experience with the events!

Tosa are you going? Sounds perfect.

Salisbury to Edmonton is quite a haul. I'm guessing no.

Tosa are you going? Sounds perfect.

Guys, this is the perfect contest for anyone who wants to get into strongman. Almost all of the NAS events are too heavy for beginners, this contest bridges that gap.

This almost seems too easy. I would have an issue with the stones though.

This almost seems too easy. I would have an issue with the stones though.

The contest is designed for guys who train the basic lifts regularly, but have no experience with strongman. Last time everyone got at least the 180lb stone, tacky is allowed. Why don't you come and compete, you'll have a great time and meet some interesting people.

Damn wish I was in Carolina right now.

I wish they had something like this for me in Vegas. I'm sure they have but I wouldn't even know where to read about it :-/

I wish they had something like this for me in Vegas. I'm sure they have but I wouldn't even know where to read about it :-/

There just are not many strongman contests like this. If you want one you need to get involved, talk to the director of your gym & show them how you can supply most of what's needed. This involves making or buying some things, like Atlas stones. It can do done for not too much money. Mainly you need reliable people who will organize and judge the event.

God this looks awesome! Coming from Charlotte would be nothing. Shame I'll be out of the country... Hopefully this is annual?

God this looks awesome! Coming from Charlotte would be nothing. Shame I'll be out of the country... Hopefully this is annual?

If there continues to be enough interest there will be 2 contests per year, Spring & Fall. Next one after Sept will be in March, 2011.

I have plenty of grip tools I can bring if anyone is interested- grippers, Blob, TTK, etc.

Hmm. I might be interested when it's held again, but Sep. won't work for me. I'm right down the road.

The contest is designed for guys who train the basic lifts regularly, but have no experience with strongman. Last time everyone got at least the 180lb stone, tacky is allowed. Why don't you come and compete, you'll have a great time and meet some interesting people.

Sounds like an injury waiting to happen if not used to these types of lifts. Particulary the stone.

What weight do the real strongmen use?

Sounds like an injury waiting to happen if not used to these types of lifts. Particulary the stone.

What weight do the real strongmen use?

I think lifting the stone for the first time is safer than DLing for the first time, the shape of the stone limits greatly the poundage you can lift. I think the Atlas Stone record is 520lbs. Also some common sense is in order, you can simply use sandbags to lift if you don't have stones. I've never seen anyone get hurt lifting stones. Anyone who wants to not take any chances can sit at home and watch TV, all physical activity involves potential risk.

This sounds wicked. gosh if only are town had strongman competitions for beginners I would go every time.

Thomas Bowman, maker of Tommy Tack strongman tacky will be there and he's supplying his tacky free for everyone to use on the stone event. He'll also have Tommy Tack tacky for sale, $9.95 for the 4oz jar, and $29.95 for the 16oz tub, by far the best deal anywhere on strongman tacky.

Back