Novice question....

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Kalma, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Kalma

Kalma Orange Belt

2. LatFlare

LatFlare EADC

Watching a snail crawl along a straight razor.
    The very first session you will have no idea how strong you are so for your first warm up set, start with just the bar. Since its your first time, and you don't know how strong you are, add a little bit to the bar for the next warm up set.

"when you reach a weight that feels heavy, but not so heavy that your form has changed, stay there and do two more sets" i.e. when you reach an appropriate weight for 5 challenging reps, but no so challenging that you have to fudge them, stay there. They are the work sets of your first session.

Many people will still use just the bar as a first warm up set, but then increase the weight in larger increments to get to their work sets.

3. Kalma

Kalma Orange Belt

thanks for the reply...just to clarify , this is all happening within your first workout though ?

i.e. first day on this programme could breakdown like this (hypothetical numbers)

5 reps of just bar
    5 x 20 kg (oh ok I think I can do more)
    5 x 30 kg (hmm harder but stil ok )
    5 x 40 kg...(oh here we go this is more difficult, I think I'll stay here for my next two sets)

4. LZD

LZD Purple Belt

That is correct. And it is always best to start conservatively. This applies to all beginner programs - starting strength, SL5x5, Bill Starr 5x5 etc.

Lot's of people start with nothing but the bar.

5. Sentient Sin

Sentient Sin Guest

Good thread.

Im on week 3 of SL 5x5 and I started with an empty 45lb bar even though it wasnt that heavy. I thought about increasing the weight on the first day but decided to just go slow. Make sure my form is great with the lighter weight so that when I eventually go up to the heavier stuff there's less risk of me hurting myself with poor form.

Speaking of SL, would it be ok for me to split the workouts between morning and nights? Like, I do squats in the morning before work, and save the other two exercises after I come home. I feel like its no problem to my strength development since Im still increasing weight every workout day but Im not sure.

6. Kalma

Kalma Orange Belt

great, thanks for the replies.

Sentient Sin, did you add any weight to the bar at all on the first workout or just go through the motions with the bar and then add weight on the 2nd workout ?

7. Sentient Sin

Sentient Sin Guest

Thats exactly what I did. The first workout day, I squatted only using the empty bar. i added weight on the second workout day. Im most likely going at a snail's pace but Im new to weightlifting so I figure its safer to start small rather than potentially overdo things and hurt myself and my progress.