Nov.23rd Las Vegas FOX PPV PBC Deontay Wilder vs Luis Ortiz II

I don't see the problem w/ this fight. The first fight was great, it's not like Ortiz is ducking ppl he just can't get many big fights. Altho I will say in that interview it looks like he had an opportunity to fight AJ on short notice and passed so you can't blame AJ and co. for that, I guess.

But at the end of the day, Ortiz is old, he doesn't have the best resume, but he's objectively a very talented guy who's given Wilder his toughest fight to date. He's a difficult opponent as shown in the first fight, and Wilder could get Ruiz'd if he's not careful here. Ruiz is another guy who ppl thought was talented but not good enough to beat AJ, he didn't have any good scalps on his record either and look what happened.

This is a good fight. Even tho I'm a Wilder hugger I still think it's pretty bold of him to rematch the guy who basically had him out on his feet and almost finished. It's not a great fight but I don't get the criticism either, Ortiz is one of the better hw's out there.
when the first fight was announced, i was really hyped. the actual fight turned out to be exactly what we expected, and it was awesome.

but let's be real here. ortiz threw everything he had at wilder, and it wasn't enough. he was too old then, he couldn't recover when he got hurt and he didn't have the lungs to carry him through the whole fight. a year and a half + a KO loss later isn't going to make his odds any better. the first fight ended emphatically with ortiz lying in a heap, how on earth can it end any other way this time around?

when the first fight was announced, i was really hyped. the actual fight turned out to be exactly what we expected, and it was awesome.

but let's be real here. ortiz threw everything he had at wilder, and it wasn't enough. he was too old then, he couldn't recover when he got hurt and he didn't have the lungs to carry him through the whole fight. a year and a half + a KO loss later isn't going to make his odds any better. the first fight ended emphatically with ortiz lying in a heap, how on earth can it end any other way this time around?
By landed just 1 more punch more than what he did when he had Wilder hurt? Or he can use his technique and try staying away

If the wily old vet pulls it off, things open up, these fucking 0s hold up the big fights.

Wilder ends Ortiz as a contender in this go around. Tbh, Ortiz should have said no to this one and taken someone else.

i look at like he was close before, if he lands the right combo or that extra punch he can win the fight. not like wilder is gonna steamroll him (at least i dont think)

hes older now, but i think preparing smarter and learning from the first fight with wilder exceeds the worries about being 1 year older now. surely hes had to take something away from that first fight that hes gonna implement in the rematch

Wilder ends Ortiz as a contender in this go around. Tbh, Ortiz should have said no to this one and taken someone else.
Probably the difference in payday for Wilder and anyone else is pretty massive.

Probably the difference in payday for Wilder and anyone else is pretty massive.
Thats true. I wonder if it will exceed the offer from AJ. If it does (I dont think it will) its hard to knock him for taking it.

I just dont see him doing better the second go around.

Too far out. That sucks.

My hopes for the HWs are circling the drain.

2019 is the year of the pay per view.

Seems like an easy an easy, easy fight at this point. I don’t necessarily have anything against that sort of thing, but if Wilder is going to fight this level of opponent he ought to be fighting more regularly than he is.

My opinion is Ortiz is still a name in the division and wilder knows he can beat him. That’s why this fight is happening. He clearly doesn’t deserve the rematch and this is less risky than fighting an unknown quantity. And as you say the fella is now in his 40s. It’s a fckin cop out, instead of having a fresh, and potentially risky unknown challenge. Most fans can see through it. I’d much rather someone like kowanaki got his shot

i look at like he was close before, if he lands the right combo or that extra punch he can win the fight. not like wilder is gonna steamroll him (at least i dont think)

hes older now, but i think preparing smarter and learning from the first fight with wilder exceeds the worries about being 1 year older now. surely hes had to take something away from that first fight that hes gonna implement in the rematch

Not in my experience. I lost a lot, and quickly in my late 30s - early 40s. He will be a poorer fighter than the first fight because he is on the slide

My opinion is Ortiz is still a name in the division and wilder knows he can beat him. That’s why this fight is happening. He clearly doesn’t deserve the rematch and this is less risky than fighting an unknown quantity. And as you say the fella is now in his 40s. It’s a fckin cop out, instead of having a fresh, and potentially risky unknown challenge. Most fans can see through it. I’d much rather someone like kowanaki got his shot
Its getting frustrating seeing the same names recycled when there are a handful of guys who havent gotten in with any of them yet. Itd be nice to see guys like Kowanaki, Pulev, etc make for some refreshing match ups.

Where the HW division looked to be going a year or so ago and where it is now is such a gigantic disappointment. Fucking egos have made a mess of things.

Luis Nery confirmed as an undercard fighter

After Ruiz/Joshua surely the foregone conclusion thing has gone out of the window. Wilder should, on paper, win with relative ease. Wouldn’t faint with surprise if Ortiz lands a bomb either though.

Back