Social Notre Dame fire: Billionaires haven't paid a cent yet despite grand promises

JDragon

Lawn and Order!
@Gold
Reaction score
Whole article:

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/18/ruins-notre-dame-billionaires-french-philanthropy

The lesson from the ruins of Notre Dame: don’t rely on billionaires

(...)

Barely has the fire been put out before some of the richest people in France rush to help rebuild it. From François-Henri Pinault, the ultimate owner of Gucci, comes €100m (£90m). Not to be outdone, the Arnault family at Louis Vuitton put up €200m. More of the wealthy join the bidding, as if a Damien Hirst is going under the hammer. Within just three days, France’s billionaire class has coughed up nearly €600m. Or so their press releases state.

A few folk question this very public display of plutocratic piety, but we are of course professional malcontents. Some of Paris’s 3,600 rough sleepers protest at how so many euros can be found for a new cathedral roof yet not a cent to put a roof over their heads – still, what do the poor know of the sublime? From all other seats, the applause is deafening. “Billionaires can sometimes come in really handy,” remarks the editor of Moneyweek. “Everybody is at our bedside,” says French TV celeb Stéphane Bern. Flush with cash, French president Emmanuel Macron vows the gothic masterpiece will be rebuilt within five years. Front pages scored, studio hours filled, the world moves on. You almost certainly haven’t heard the rest of the story – yet you should, because it comes with one hell of a twist.

Weeks go by, then months, and Notre Dame sees nothing from the billionaires. The promises of mid-April seem to have been forgotten by mid-June. “The big donors haven’t paid. Not a cent,” a senior official at the cathedral tells journalists. Far humbler sums are sent in, from far poorer individuals. “Beautiful gestures,” says one charity executive, but hardly les grands prix.

That prompts a newswire story, after which two of the wealthy donors, the Arnault and Pinault families, stump up €10m each. Followed by silence. Questions I put this week to the various donors and charities went largely unanswered. (Perhaps their offices are busy or emptied out by the summer holidays.)

(...)

As another charity executive, Célia Vérot, said: “It’s a voluntary donation, so the companies are waiting for the government’s vision to see what precisely they want to fund.” It’s as if the vast project of rebuilding a 12th-century masterpiece was a breakfast buffet from which one could pick and choose.

Meanwhile, the salaries of 150 workers on site have to be paid. The 300 or so tonnes of lead in the church roof pose a toxic threat that must be cleaned up before the rebuilding can happen. And pregnant women and children living nearby are undergoing blood tests for possible poisoning. But funding such dirty, unglamorous, essential work is not for the luxury-goods billionaires. As the Notre Dame official said last month, they don’t want their money “just to pay employees’ salaries”. Heaven forfend! Not when one could endow to future generations the Gucci Basilica or a Moët Hennessy gift shop, so you, too, can enjoy the miracle of sparkling wine, or a nave by L’Oréal (tagline: Because Jesus is Worth It).

For the super-rich, giving is really taking. Taking power, that is, from the rest of society. The billionaires will get exclusive access to the “vision” for the reconstruction of a national landmark and they can veto those plans, because if they don’t like them they can withhold their cash. Money is always the most powerful casting vote, and they have it. Never mind that much of this cash actually comes from the public, as French law grants a whopping 66% tax relief on any donation – the power is entirely private. The annual cap on such contributions doubtless constitutes a prudent reason for the big donors to stagger their generosity.

---

The article goes on and actually is worth the read even if you disagree with the sharp tone.

What say you, Sherdog? Should billionaires who have already received the positive feedback from the public honor their pledges and pay up or should they get a say in the precise 'how' it is put to use in a case like this one?

Public Shaming sounds very warranted here. Glad there was some real journalism digging into what amounts to lite fraud (declaration for favorable pr with no follow through seems not illegal, but kinda fraudish)

The interesting thing about it is...there have to be better charitable causes out there to donate 8 or even 9 figures to - if you are a billionaire. Not saying there’s anything wrong with trying to help build the Notre Dame but, there’s so much more you could do with $100m

So, when one hears that really rich families are donating this insane amount to this, there was a cynical kind of “oh so you’ll donate to a building....” type attitude happening. But really, people who choose such a target, it should have been pretty easy to predict there was a good chance they wouldn’t follow through.

How about we get an investigation in to how it burned down before anyone gives anything? Did they ever even release a root cause?

It's like when you get drunk and do a load of coke with people at parties and make plans to start a business/take over the world, but the next day you're like "fuck that, I haven't got the time".

Whole article:

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/18/ruins-notre-dame-billionaires-french-philanthropy

The lesson from the ruins of Notre Dame: don’t rely on billionaires

(...)

Barely has the fire been put out before some of the richest people in France rush to help rebuild it. From François-Henri Pinault, the ultimate owner of Gucci, comes €100m (£90m). Not to be outdone, the Arnault family at Louis Vuitton put up €200m. More of the wealthy join the bidding, as if a Damien Hirst is going under the hammer. Within just three days, France’s billionaire class has coughed up nearly €600m. Or so their press releases state.

A few folk question this very public display of plutocratic piety, but we are of course professional malcontents. Some of Paris’s 3,600 rough sleepers protest at how so many euros can be found for a new cathedral roof yet not a cent to put a roof over their heads – still, what do the poor know of the sublime? From all other seats, the applause is deafening. “Billionaires can sometimes come in really handy,” remarks the editor of Moneyweek. “Everybody is at our bedside,” says French TV celeb Stéphane Bern. Flush with cash, French president Emmanuel Macron vows the gothic masterpiece will be rebuilt within five years. Front pages scored, studio hours filled, the world moves on. You almost certainly haven’t heard the rest of the story – yet you should, because it comes with one hell of a twist.

Weeks go by, then months, and Notre Dame sees nothing from the billionaires. The promises of mid-April seem to have been forgotten by mid-June. “The big donors haven’t paid. Not a cent,” a senior official at the cathedral tells journalists. Far humbler sums are sent in, from far poorer individuals. “Beautiful gestures,” says one charity executive, but hardly les grands prix.

That prompts a newswire story, after which two of the wealthy donors, the Arnault and Pinault families, stump up €10m each. Followed by silence. Questions I put this week to the various donors and charities went largely unanswered. (Perhaps their offices are busy or emptied out by the summer holidays.)

(...)

As another charity executive, Célia Vérot, said: “It’s a voluntary donation, so the companies are waiting for the government’s vision to see what precisely they want to fund.” It’s as if the vast project of rebuilding a 12th-century masterpiece was a breakfast buffet from which one could pick and choose.

Meanwhile, the salaries of 150 workers on site have to be paid. The 300 or so tonnes of lead in the church roof pose a toxic threat that must be cleaned up before the rebuilding can happen. And pregnant women and children living nearby are undergoing blood tests for possible poisoning. But funding such dirty, unglamorous, essential work is not for the luxury-goods billionaires. As the Notre Dame official said last month, they don’t want their money “just to pay employees’ salaries”. Heaven forfend! Not when one could endow to future generations the Gucci Basilica or a Moët Hennessy gift shop, so you, too, can enjoy the miracle of sparkling wine, or a nave by L’Oréal (tagline: Because Jesus is Worth It).

For the super-rich, giving is really taking. Taking power, that is, from the rest of society. The billionaires will get exclusive access to the “vision” for the reconstruction of a national landmark and they can veto those plans, because if they don’t like them they can withhold their cash. Money is always the most powerful casting vote, and they have it. Never mind that much of this cash actually comes from the public, as French law grants a whopping 66% tax relief on any donation – the power is entirely private. The annual cap on such contributions doubtless constitutes a prudent reason for the big donors to stagger their generosity.

---

The article goes on and actually is worth the read even if you disagree with the sharp tone.

What say you, Sherdog? Should billionaires who have already received the positive feedback from the public honor their pledges and pay up or should they get a say in the precise 'how' it is put to use in a case like this one?

361lxz.jpg

How about we get an investigation in to how it burned down before anyone gives anything? Did they ever even release a root cause?

Yep, it was refurnished and workers were totally negligent smoking cigarettes in places they shouldn't.

If I had 2 billion, I would donate a million right now.

Remember when within minutes then need media told us all that for sure this wasn’t arson? Perhaps done by leftists or Muslims?

I remember.

Even though the fire started in a hidden area and the people in charge of the building were scrambling to find the fire and couldn’t.

They blamed workers tools and that’s not what did it. Then they blamed a short circuit. Not that either. They are “still investigating”

Smokers. Fucking. Smokers.

Lol workers were not in the building that day. Remember that story?

And how did the person get in such a hidden area? Lol what a bullshit cover story.

Obvious.

Lol workers were not in the building that day. Remember that story?

And how did the person get in such a hidden area? Lol what a bullshit cover story.

Obvious.

Obvious it was right wingers setting up a false flag.

Looks like probably Euro chapter of Patriot Front or Proud Boys.

Yep, it was refurnished and workers were totally negligent smoking cigarettes in places they shouldn't.

I do not believe that was the case. There were too many failsafe measures in place. And the fact the investigators were saying it wasn't arson within 24 hrs is highly suspicious - it would take a lot longer to get an investigation complete than 24hrs. Heck it would take probably 18-24 hours just to get it cool enough to enter.

BTW - I was there the day it burned down. I saw it firsthand.

Remember when within minutes then need media told us all that for sure this wasn’t arson? Perhaps done by leftists or Muslims?

I remember.

Even though the fire started in a hidden area and the people in charge of the building were scrambling to find the fire and couldn’t.

They blamed workers tools and that’s not what did it. Then they blamed a short circuit. Not that either. They are “still investigating”

I don't get it.

What are you trying to imply? That the fire was an intentional act by 'leftists' or 'Muslims' which is purposely being covered up by the media?

I don't get it.

What are you trying to imply? That the fire was an intentional act by 'leftists' or 'Muslims' which is purposely being covered up by the media?

100%

It was arson. No doubt about it. Which is why we got bullshit cover stories trotted out by media within MINUTES of the fire.

I can't be mad.

I could see someone promising a lot of money when it was to rebuild the church exactly how it was, but once people in government start talking about the 'vision,' now we're talking redesign and I wouldn't put it past the French government to make half of the building a mosque or some shit.

I would be cagey too. And I wouldn't let my money go to a mosque.

Back