Nothing Shocking

DIDM

Honk Honk
Banned
Reaction score
I searched, didn’t see anything on one of my favorite albums of all time. I was lucky, born in Feb of 1980, right in the midst of change.

But this is about this album

Nothing Shocking
By: Janes Addiction

In my opinion, this record encapsulates my growing up, and to this day it stands up as one of the best. Thankfully we have these gems of the past, as today’s music blows goats

What I posted in a thread titled "Your most important album"

"Skating in my friends pool in the summer of 1989 I was introduced to this album

MI0002215536.jpg

And even though I think Jane's follow up Ritual de lo Habitual is my favorite album of all time, it was really Nothing's Shocking that got the ball rolling for me in expanding my musical horizons."

Jane's Addiction was a huge band when they came out and were important in changing the musical landscape. All my friends, including the metal heads, were stoked on the new Grunge scene in general. Jane's was part of the new sounds, but different and people really got into them.

my friends and I were obsessed w/ Jane's. Great album.
Their self titled live album is one of my favorite live albums and favorite albums altogether.

I had "The Gift" on VHS and wore that crazy movie out in 1992. Deconstruction was a cool Avery/Navarro album from 1995(?) when Perry split for PFP. Ya'll should check it out if you havent already.
Early Jane's was more, in my mind, at the forefront of the new musical revolution, steering away from the glam pretty boy shit rock that dominated everywhere.. They were totally original and heavy, but still more pop accesible than the heavy thrash I was and still am into. Jane's really beat Nirvana and the Seattle scene to the punch for turning the page from hair metal.

A friend of mine played me Janes Addiction live debut album and I was not that impressed. There were certainly songs I liked, but overall , I didn't give them much thought. Then Nothings Shocking came out and I was blown away. It was all I wanted to hear. Ocean Size, Standing In the Shower, Summertime Rolls, Pigs in Zen, Mountain Song, I just couldn't get enough.

Then I came across this video on VHS called Impact Video that was going to be a monthly video magazine, and the first issue featured Janes Addiction (as well as the Butthole Surfers who I was really into at the time) and it was hosted by Alex Winter. I remember making copies to give to my friends who went to different schools so they could spread the good news about Janes Addiction.

"Cowboys have no sense of humor"

The first time I got to see them was in St. Louis at the old Kiel auditorium. Desert Storm had just broken out and Perry had some thoughts about that. It was the fuel I needed. I remember absolutely vibrating for the entire 4 hour drive back home. Set list:

1. Up the Beach
2. Whores
3. Idiots Rule
4. Ain't No Right
5. Thank You Boys
6. Three Days
7. Been Caught Stealing
8. Trip Away
9. Ted, Just Admit It...
10 . Then She Did...
11. Mountain Song
12 Stop!
13 Summertime Rolls
14. Ocean Size

Later that year I got to see Janes Addiction again at the first Lollapaloza in Chicago. I spent the day looking for some acid. I really wanted to trip for the Butthole Surfers set. But I didn't find any until Janes hit the stage. Their second set was something I'll always remember. As was the 3 hour drive home tripping balls. :eek:

(Kids - don't do this. Its irresponsible and dangerous and I'm lucky to have made it home alive)

Deftones is dat album that takes me back in time. When it dropped I'd just moved to the UK for university so it ended up defining that new era

Back