nothing is wrong with point-fighting, love it, embrace it, understand it...

The UFC has a series of DVDs titled "Ultimate Knockouts".

The UFC also has a series of DVDs titled "Ultimate Submissions".

There's a reason the UFC does not sell videos titled "Ultimate Decisions".

I respect fighters. But do not forget that MMA is a sport. And professional sport is competition for entertainment and profit.

If point fighting is less entertaining, which I think it is, then it is bad for professional MMA.

I know purists will poo-poo this assessment, but MMA fighters fight for our entertainment.

No they wouldn't. True purists are for NHB.

1)
point fighting is fighters trying to win according to the rules of the game and the game is the 10-point must system. it's a sport with rules, not a mortal combat vdo game, grow up.

Gay

2)
point fighting is fighters trying to win however they can within the rules. this is their paycheck. winning and losing can be the difference of half a purse -- that's house payment, car payment, alimony, cocaine habits, hookers, etc... it's a profession, an occupation... not the plot of a jean claude van damm movie, grow up.

not only that, it's a career path, losing could derail a career, so they are going to try to play it smart and win by points if that's the best available option, rather than go head-hunting to satisfy the blood lust of idiotic, neanderthal fans... even everyone's favorite bangers, cowboy cerrone, goes for a late takedown and hang out in the guard, to secure a win (eddie sanchez fight)...

Guys who have the most job security are the guys who bring it. Ask Fitch and Okami how point-fighting for wins worked out for their career.

3) point fighting is fighters trying to protect their brain cells. this is their life, who wants to have brain trauma? look at gary goodridge, and all the other tragic stories of combat sports. this is real life, not fans' immature, infantile, fantasy fighting, grow up.

All part of the sport and come with the territory. If you are concerned about brain damage go to school and get a desk job.

Word.

Not everybody has the power to end fights with strikes. So it would be foolish for them to go balls out and put themselves at risk when even if the strike lands, it's not going to KO anybody.

Also it's difficult to submit people with the rules as they are (stand ups and all, ironically), so you can't really hold that against fighters.

Dominant victories by decision where the winner did little to no damage (nor came close to finishing) are boring. You can't force yourself to like it.

We can't go back to the original UFC or vale tudo, but the spirit of this sport is fighting. I want to see something as close to a real fight as possible, but with obvious rules and safety.

Because people are idiots?

There have been a number of great fights that went to decision.

definitely nothing wrong with it in my eyes
i don't even care if the whole fight is on the ground
fuck them other fans anyway lol

yes, to make money...

same as the reason why fighters may play it safe.... to prolong career, secure wins, in order to make more money...

Because people are idiots?

There have been a number of great fights that went to decision.

Agreed. But most decisions are not Shogun-Hendo I, and many decisions end with both fighters unmarked, neither fighter getting rocked, and neither fighter attempting any subs.

I respect fighters. But do not forget that MMA is a sport. And professional sport is competition for entertainment and profit.

If point fighting is less entertaining, which I think it is, then it is bad for professional MMA.

I know purists will poo-poo this assessment, but MMA fighters fight for our entertainment.

mma fighters fight to make money.... that's the ultimate goal.

Agreed. But most decisions are not Shogun-Hendo I, and many decisions end with both fighters unmarked, neither fighter getting rocked, and neither fighter attempting any subs.

Very true.

I'm just saying this fetish of "finishing" fights is a sure sign of someone whose shoe size rivals their IQ.

2)
point fighting is fighters trying to win however they can within the rules. this is their paycheck. winning and losing can be the difference of half a purse -- that's house payment, car payment, alimony, cocaine habits, hookers, etc... it's a profession, an occupation...

This is the absolute dumbest reason to point fight. Especially if the fighter in question is making less than $50k/$50k.

Point fighting doesn't guarantee a win.

Also, they are essentially giving up a chance at a $50k bonus by fighting not to lose.

All the fighters on the undercard should be going balls out to try to win the PON bonus since its essentially double their contracted pay.

If Im an 8/8 fighter I would rather lose and get $58k with the PON than win a boring decision to get 16k.

definitely nothing wrong with it in my eyes
i don't even care if the whole fight is on the ground
fuck them other fans anyway lol

Word.

This sport was fun as hell when it was a niche sport. I still remember when Shamrock sat in Gracie's guard for half-an-hour and we all thought it was awesome. These days both guys would've been booted from the UFC and would be fighting in WSOF, if at all.

At first I thought all the new fans would allow the fighters to be paid a lot more, but I don't really think that's happened, so the knuckehead fans can fuck right off.

This is the absolute dumbest reason to point fight. Especially if the fighter in question is making less than $50k/$50k.

Point fighting doesn't guarantee a win.

Also, they are essentially giving up a chance at a $50k bonus by fighting not to lose.

All the fighters on the undercard should be going balls out to try to win the PON bonus since its essentially double their contracted pay.

If Im an 8/8 fighter I would rather lose and get part of the PON than win a boring decision to get 16k.

nothing guarantees a win.

but if a fighter realizes he can't take his opponent out and calculates that the risk of trying is not worth it... then he would go for the most likely scenario of winning the fight, which is to win on points...

see Cerrone vs Eddie Sanchez (you provide an ''if i were'' theory as evidence. i give you fact)

Back