Not your average BJJ in the Olympics thread....

LordarshynBJJ

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We were talking about this in the gym the other day, and I was wondering what you guys think.

If BJJ/Submission wrestling make it to the Olympics, do you think it will be Gi, No Gi, or both?

probably gi, although i would love to see both

When I think Olympics, I think TMA's. Sub grappling is a bit of a hybrid, so I would think it would be Gi

Probably the gi - as it is the sport that is getting more standards like Judo. Weight classes, gi standards, recognition through Gracie mag.

The bjj federation is growing pretty fast. Everyone knows those tournaments - Panams, and Mundials.. They are on the road to making it an olympic sport, but it is a long road. Judo essentialy had to do the same thing

No-gi Has the ADCC every two years and is bit more free lance, injury laden... to alternative to be an olympic sport.

If gi ever makes it to the olympics you wont be seeing patched up gi's.. they will most likely be plain hite, or blue with country team on it.

Imagine united states bjj team - or Brazil.. would be a cool day in history.. and a tough fight to make the teams.

It'd be nogi and it'd be called submission wrestling, not BJJ (Olympic rules forbid the inclusion of sports named after a specific group of people, which is part of the issue with Muay Thai- they can't make it an Olympic sport until "Thai" is gone, but the Thai people won't let that happen)

It'd be nogi and it'd be called submission wrestling, not BJJ (Olympic rules forbid the inclusion of sports named after a specific group of people, which is part of the issue with Muay Thai- they can't make it an Olympic sport until "Thai" is gone, but the Thai people won't let that happen)

greco-roman wrestling?

That's different to a slight degree since the Romans don't exist anymore. I think "Greco-italian wrestling" might raise eyebrows.

I really just think it's a double standard. Must it be an existent people for it to be taboo? It's still associated with a culture. It just so happens to be the culture that originated the olympics(in the case of Greco of course), so we can make an exception in their case.

Regardless, there's no arguing with the IOC on the matter, most likely.

But it's really only called BJJ because Rorion trademarked Gracie JJ, right? In reality, it's just Jiu-jitsu.

its gonna be submission grappling or just grappling. trust me.

Would the UFC allow its fighters to compete?

I think they would have to...look at basketball they allowed Dream Teams. Hockey allows its players to compete BUT we all know that the UFC and Dana White are above anything fair and just! =)

You know that Greco Roman wrestling has nothing to do with Greeks and Romans, right ?

It's a name invented in late 1800 by an italian , Basilio Bartoletti.

wasn't it developed by the french?

You know that Greco Roman wrestling has nothing to do with Greeks and Romans, right ?

It's a name invented in late 1800 by an italian , Basilio Bartoletti.

No, I didnt know that actually. But my point was the name still references a specific people or culture, regardless of it's true origins.

Back