Not very happy with my school...

JH34PG

White Belt
Reaction score
hey guys...if you followed me here youd see i recently began training BJJ again.

i joined a nice small bjj school with good instruction and reasonable price.

i live in miami...today we were supposed to have a level 3 tropical storm...means alot of rain. come 7pm to train, no rain, no wind, a nice day.

when i go to the gym, come to find its closed...i call my instructor, he said he called me but when he read me the number he has for me, 2 numbers were switched...thats not what upset me

the fact that the weather ended up being nice and they cancelled classes which they did in the morning...

now its hurricane season...this wasnt the first and def wont be the last tropical storm/hurricane of the season.

so what im thinking is does that mean with every hint of something happening my school will be closed???

well i pay for three classes a week. theres only instruction 3 times a week.

im nervous that everytime theres a possibility of a little storm coming that there going to close the gym. thats my issue.

the big gyms you pay a certain amount of times per week because classes are offered everyday.

my gym doesnt have that luxury

What is the problem?
not being informed about the closure or do you want a refund on the missed class?

a little bit of both. but what im trying to say is tropical storms are very frequent in south florida during hurricane season...so if my gym closes for every lil warning...then how much training can i actually get done..and do they have the right to just close it whenever and have me still paying?

Dude, if you have already have issues.

My suggestion would be to move on to another sport or club.

i love the sport...maybe diff school...but I signed a contract.

If you are not happy, just complete your contract and move on.

If you stay and you are not happy, it is just gonna be harder to leave later on.

IMO, it was probably an accident that the numbers got switched. Also, I have lived in FL for my whole life. From experience, you never know how bad a storm is until it gets there and you have to make decisions hours, if not days, in advanced on what should be done. There was no way for your instructor to know what the weather would be like when he had to make a decision on the safety of his students that morning. Its better to be safe than sorry, IMO. Just think if the storm slowed down, progressed into a small hurricane, or created the environment for tornados? IT sounds to me that you have more that this against your school. You should go to the instructor and request a makeup class and see what happens. Then make your decision.

Have you lived in South FL long? If not, you have to understand that it's not beach weather all the time and these storms can be quite serious.

You should talk to the gym owner about communication and ask them to set a storm policy - something like "We will decide whether to close the gym by XXpm, please check our facebook group when inclement weather is forecast."

I live on the North Atlantic - we have storms year-round, from hurricanes to blizzards. It's a fact of life everyone deals with.

It just sounds unlucky to be honest. I would suggest asking for a refund because it's not right to make you pay for a service that you didn't recieve.

jerrycan-metaal-20.jpg

here's a jerrycan with some petrol, go do something with it..

That's not cool...just sucks to be so hyped to train only to be let down

I am trying to see your point but you come across as a bit of a whiner. Or even that one customer that no matter what just can't be satisfied.

Is there a tropical storm every week? No. Will you miss a handful of classes due to inclimate weather? Yep, it happens.

Dude I missed a class in TEXAS due to ice/snow and the gym was closed. Your instructor cannot control the weather
We had bad weather one night and 3 people showed.

Looking back it was stupid for me to drive and m put myself at risk to be on the road that night. Maybe your coach thought it would be safer for everyone to stay home and was looking out for your best interest with not being able to 100% predict the weather.

If it bothers you that much ask about a make up class if he only is open 3 times a week.

So your instructor thought there was going to be a storm, and decided there was no class that day, and then there wasn't a storm and you missed a class. And based on that one single experience you're going to leave an otherwise good school? Think about that for a second.

IMO, it was probably an accident that the numbers got switched. Also, I have lived in FL for my whole life. From experience, you never know how bad a storm is until it gets there and you have to make decisions hours, if not days, in advanced on what should be done. There was no way for your instructor to know what the weather would be like when he had to make a decision on the safety of his students that morning. Its better to be safe than sorry, IMO. Just think if the storm slowed down, progressed into a small hurricane, or created the environment for tornados? IT sounds to me that you have more that this against your school. You should go to the instructor and request a makeup class and see what happens. Then make your decision.

Have you lived in South FL long? If not, you have to understand that it's not beach weather all the time and these storms can be quite serious.

Good point. I'm originally from WI, but moved to the Carribean for a flying job. We have to evacuate the airplanes if we think a hurricane is going to hit. It would not be wise to say, "the storm won't be too bad, or maybe it won't hit." If it is a risk, we have to move them. Now the next day if the storm didn't hit, the company wouldn't get mad about it. You have to look at the risk. If your instructor thought it was going to be bad and made the call, then you have to live with it.

Same thing happened while flight instructing too. TAF shows shit weather and there is a severe thunderstorm watch/warning out and you call the flight. The student looks up at the sky and wonders why.... urrg!

Anyways, sorry to rant but it is THE SEASON so to speak. Life happens! You will be fine. Have fun learning some BJJ. :)

Florida has a ton of schools that are open almost everyday of the week, how did you happen to find one that only trains 3 times a week? Also you sound really into training. So why would you sign a contract knowing you only get training 3 times a week? Though, i wouldn't be so mad at your instructor for this as he probably made the right call.

You should talk to the gym owner about communication and ask them to set a storm policy - something like "We will decide whether to close the gym by XXpm, please check our facebook group when inclement weather is forecast."

I live on the North Atlantic - we have storms year-round, from hurricanes to blizzards. It's a fact of life everyone deals with.

Pffft, Halifax :p

Back