Not understanding the Bader hate- called gatekeeper?

He's a gatekeeper to the elite and a springboard to a title shot. It's all context and semantics.

Yeah I dunno just cus he's clearly not a threat to the title people seem to dismiss him. There are lots of great fights in the top ten and even 5 for him (he had Glover on the ropes, him vs Rashad would be interesting)

I think a lot of people are viewing "gate keeper" as a negative thing... he's clearly a top 10 fighter and talented, there's just another level of talented near the top of the division.

I was feeling you until you compared CB to Weidman. If that CB fight would have went the distance machida should've just announce his retirement.

As for Bader? Idk. Getting dropped by Ortiz is not a good look. Even if it was in tito's prime. And Bader is just an uninteresting guy in a division where the champ already beat him. Baders personality is just as dry as his fighting style.

I still am pretty shocked how Bones was able to beat him in that fashion. Bader is a strong guy

There is nothing wrong with being a gatekeeper, only a small minority will become champions. Bader is still a very good fighter.

cool. others don't. that's all this whole thread is.

except that for some reason you seem to equate "gatekeeper" with "scrub". why is that, TS? why do you think something like the 7th best fighter in the world - someone who beats most but isn't quite up there with the elite several of their era - would be a scrub?!?

because ive heard him called so on these forums. I didn't equate the terms.

I wasn't aware that if you weren't top 5 you are then a gatekeeper. What specifically is your definition?

It just works that way with Bader and LHW.

To me, a gatekeeper is someone that the UFC can use to test another fighter to see if they are title contention worthy.

Everyone knows Bader will never seriously contend for a title, but he sure as shit will beat people that aren't worthy to contend either.

He is a gatekeeper. He will be stuck in the edge of the top 10.

For some weird reason the UFC tries to make him a contender (just like they are pushing Schaub) but he gets knocked off by #5 fighters. Shoulda woulda coulda doesn't count.

Whose calling him a gate keeper ? The guy is 18 - 4 he's a bad ass, if he can run through phil (IF) id say he has a good chance at a title eliminator

Thoughts? People act like bader is a scrub.

First, 'gatekeeper' does not equal 'scrub'. Part of the issue is the negative connotation you are attaching to the label of 'gatekeeper'.

IMHO, 'gatekeeper' is actually a neutral, if not complimentary, term that meant for a fighter who is not considered to be among the best, or not really a title contender, but beating them 'means something' in the division because they usually handle lower-ranked fighters and/or put up a tough fight for almost any top tier guys.

Chris Lytle at WW is a great example. Chris Leben at MW is another.

And saying that Bader was "winning every second" of a fight that lasted less than three minutes, and ended with him getting his head bounced off the canvas, is not the best evidence to present. Re-watch the fight too...Glover was ok against the cage before he dropped Bader.

three straight decisions against non-elite fighters in his last outings only furthers the argument that he is a gatekeeper, no? the guy is a solid, dangerous fighters...but the gatekeeper label doesn't seem off the mark, IMHO.

mma_e_evans11_576.jpg

mma_e_nogueira11_576.jpg

07_Ortiz_Bader_large.jpg
07_Ortiz_Bader_large.jpg

07_Ortiz_Bader_large.jpg
07_Ortiz_Bader_large.jpg

Gatekeeper means that you are not going any higher. You are not going any lower, you are stuck at the level, and people either pass you on their way up or are denied.

I like Bader, but I think he is a gatekeeper at this point.

Does anyone think he will make a run for a title? Not me.

because ive heard him called so on these forums. I didn't equate the terms.

actually, that's exactly what you did; equated "gatekeeper" and "scrub":

So what is all this gatekeeper nonsense, to me....calling someone a gatekeeper means you cant beat anyone in the top 5....which I think he could.

Thoughts? People act like bader is a scrub.

If you look up gatekeeper in the dictionary it is literally defined as "Ryan Bader"

A gatekeepers not a bad thing you know, just means their in the bottom half of the top 10 that's all.

Back