Not understanding the Bader hate- called gatekeeper?

elbowsandwiches

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Every fighter gets (1) mulligan in their careers, including the TUF winner: Ryan Bader.

GSP with Matt Serra
Ryan Bader with Tito Ortiz
Renan Barao with TJ
Jon Jones with Matt Hamill
Silva with Weidman (when he was showboating)

you get my point. So if you allow one mistake for Bader's career it would be Tito Ortiz (who some would argue isn't a extreme slouch)

with that excluded lets take a look at his other three losses:

Glover: if you watch this fight Bader was winning every second and had glover rocked, against the cage.... when bader gets caught by a hail mary punch in the flurry. Glover was on a 20 fight win streak. Bader could have easily won this match.

Jon Jones: p4p best fighter in the world. nuff said.

Machida : Look at what he did against CB. Not crazy to think he could beat Weidman in a rematch.

So what is all this gatekeeper nonsense, to me....calling someone a gatekeeper means you cant beat anyone in the top 5....which I think he could.

Thoughts? People act like bader is a scrub.

Until he actually proves otherwise he is a gatekeeper. A very solid gatekeeper.

Ryan Bader is the definition of a gatekeeper.

Who exactly in the top 5 is he beating?

Gate keeper is to far i agree. Leben was a gatekeeper, not bader

Bader is a beast

Yeah, idk if you can clearly be top 7 in the world and be a gatekeeper...

Yeah, idk if you can clearly be top 7 in the world and be a gatekeeper...

At LHW you can be.

Again, who does he beat in the top 5? There's just another level at LHW and Bader isn't anywhere near it.

Gus, Rumble, Jones, Cormier destroy him.

He's on a very good streak and has been improving a lot imo.. He won't be champ, but no shame in that when Jones is champ.

So what is all this gatekeeper nonsense, to me....calling someone a gatekeeper means you cant beat anyone in the top 5....which I think he could.

cool. others don't. that's all this whole thread is.

except that for some reason you seem to equate "gatekeeper" with "scrub". why is that, TS? why do you think something like the 7th best fighter in the world - someone who beats most but isn't quite up there with the elite several of their era - would be a scrub?!?

Rashad? Glover? Davis? ....not saying could beat handsdown, but I wouldn't be shocked if bader won.

You can only consider one of those top 5, because you have Jones, Cormier, Gus, Rumble.

Glover knocked him out, Davis beats him wherever he wants, and I'd bet on old Rashard as well.

Bader's second tier talent, and a good way to measure if a fighter belongs in the upper echelon or not, he's a gate keeper.

Every fighter gets (1) mulligan in their careers, including the TUF winner: Ryan Bader.

GSP with Matt Serra
Ryan Bader with Tito Ortiz
Renan Barao with TJ
Jon Jones with Matt Hamill
Silva with Weidman (when he was showboating)

you get my point. So if you allow one mistake for Bader's career it would be Tito Ortiz (who some would argue isn't a extreme slouch)

with that excluded lets take a look at his other three losses:

Glover: if you watch this fight Bader was winning every second and had glover rocked, against the cage.... when bader gets caught by a hail mary punch in the flurry. Glover was on a 20 fight win streak. Bader could have easily won this match.

Jon Jones: p4p best fighter in the world. nuff said.

Machida : Look at what he did against CB. Not crazy to think he could beat Weidman in a rematch.

Thoughts? People act like bader is a scrub.

1) Agreed, he gets too much hate for one lapse
2) That's not what gatekeeper means
3) Regardless, I don't think he has a chance against any top 5 except Davis, and I'd still have him a solid underdog there.

until ryan bader learns to move his head he will be a gatekeeper

Bader is a great athlete and can beat a lot of guys. I wouldn't call him a gatekeeper, but he has trouble with the top guys. I do think he can beat Glover, and I would like to see how he would do against Phil Davis. Rashad, Rumble, Gus, and DC would run through him.

At LHW you can be.

Again, who does he beat in the top 5? There's just another level at LHW and Bader isn't anywhere near it.

Gus, Rumble, Jones, Cormier destroy him.

I wasn't aware that if you weren't top 5 you are then a gatekeeper. What specifically is your definition?

He is a solid top 10 guy but I dont see him ever challenging for the belt. The top 5 is too good for him

Back