Not UFC related at all but I can't help myself

You should have just made this thread in the Mayberry, Sherbro.

As a fellow dog lover, congrats Sherbro.

I hope you got a Rottweiler, best dog ever.

Monty turns 8 on May 13th. It sucks though cause average lifespan is 8-10 years. He's in excellent health though and weighs 120 lbs, which is the exact middle of the 110-130 lbs breed standard for males.

Loyal, smart, fun, aloof with strangers, and great with other animals from squirrels to birds, to cats and dogs, male or female.

I'll never own a different breed again.

20180927-114617.jpg

20210326-124046.jpg

20210509-214501.jpg

Screenshot-20210509-214649-Gallery.jpg

Last edited:

Monty turns 8 on May 13th. It sucks though cause average lifespan is 8-10 years. He's in excellent health though and weighs 120 lbs, which is the exact middle of the 110-130 lbs breed standard for males.

Loyal, smart, fun, aloof with strangers, and great with other animals from squirrels to birds, to cats and dogs, male or female.

20180927-114617.jpg

20210326-124046.jpg

20210509-214501.jpg

Funny you bring Rottweilers up. I've been thinking about Rottweilers lately and wondering if that should be my next dog. I just had to put my old boy, a Turkish Kangal, down last Tuesday. I'm so sad over him. I don't think I'm ready for another dog yet, but I like what i'm learning about Rotties. I like a kickass dog because I like for a dog to be able to be a protector. Also, if a dog assails us while on a walk, I want to be confident that he can handle himself. I like an intelligent dog, a dog eager to please, and a dog that can handle hot summers reasonably well. By the way, I love that face.

I love Rottweilers and had a mixed bred one as a kid. She looked like a killer but was super lovable to any person she encountered. Any other animal was a no-go for her though. Really wish I socialized her better but I think I was too dumb at that point.

Socialization with any dog is super important. Any type of "aggressive" dog breed, small or large can benefit greatly from it. Once my Rottweiler had his vaccinations I started taking him to the dog park almost every day for the first 2 years of his life.

Unfortunately a bunch of the regulars stopped coming because people started bringing their aggressive, unsocialized dogs and it led to dog fights.

Rottweilers are really susceptible to parvo, one of the most, so it's absolutely vital you don't let him near other dogs or areas dogs have been or defecated. It can kill them in just 45 hours.

https://www.rottweilerlife.com/parvo-in-rottweiler-puppies-what-you-need-to-know/

Good luck with the new puppy !

Funny you bring Rottweilers up. I've been thinking about Rottweilers lately and wondering if that should be my next dog. I just had to put my old boy, a Turkish Kangal, down last Tuesday. I'm so sad over him. I don't think I'm ready for another dog yet, but I like what i'm learning about Rotties. I like a kickass dog because I like for a dog to be able to be a protector. Also, if a dog assails us while on a walk, I want to be confident that he can handle himself. I like an intelligent dog, a dog eager to please, and a dog that can handle hot summers reasonably well. By the way, I love that face.

Sorry to hear about your loss. A good dog is a great companion and it sucks when they have to go.

As you see, my rottweiler loves being outside, they love adventures, swimming, hikes, etc.

I've been proud of how he has handled himself. There was a border collie at the dog park one day when Monty was maybe 12 months old. It kept nipping his legs and herding him out of the other dogs and into the fence. After he did this a couple times, he tried to rub his dick on my dog. Monty flashed his teeth and snarled and the collie fucked off and never went within 20 feet of him after that.

It's funny watching him work. If anything comes towards us, he always tries to place himself between us and whatever the "threat" is. He's not outwardly aggressive, just very confident with his head up and eyes always watching. He's laid back and super friendly, but I have no doubt if he felt like we were in danger, he would do something about it.

If he hears a strange noise he will immediately go investigate it, he has almost a self-imposed "duty" to guard us, and as they are a working breed and love jobs, it's one of the ones he seems to enjoy.

Also, how cool is this shit?

I highly recommend them, I've owned 4 schnauzers, a rat terrier, 2 jack Russell's, a pitbull, and now my rottie. They were all great dogs, but I won't ever have anything but a Rottweiler again.

If you end up looking for one and want to PM some questions, feel free. This is my first one, but I've had him for 8 years so I can tell you more in detail if you want to know.

20180927-114617.jpg

20210326-124046.jpg

20210509-214501.jpg

You have made me want a Rottweiler and kid

Always great getting a puppy you will not regret it a second

My hands regretted it the first day. Holy shit his teeth are sharp.
The thing I'm worried about and I probably shouldn't be is leaving him in his crate when I'm gone. Going to try and work on that over the next week and beyond so he knows he's OK with being alone for a bit. He has been in it for car rides and has done great. Just lays down and doesn't make a sound and eventually falls asleep. I brought the crate in today to start training inside and he's picked up on it well so far. Did three training sessions with him today where I just tossed his food and treats inside of it with encouragement. Closing the door a few times, leaving it open, etc. At the end of each I've closed the door and gave him a nice reward of treats/food at the end. First time he did not whine at all. Second and third he just whined for like 15 seconds then settled in. Here he is now on a Kong toy stuffed with food.

If you have any tips let me know, I'm all ears.

Parker-03.jpg

My hands regretted it the first day. Holy shit his teeth are sharp.
The thing I'm worried about and I probably shouldn't be is leaving him in his crate when I'm gone. Going to try and work on that over the next week and beyond so he knows he's OK with being alone for a bit. He has been in it for car rides and has done great. Just lays down and doesn't make a sound and eventually falls asleep. I brought the crate in today to start training inside and he's picked up on it well so far. Did three training sessions with him today where I just tossed his food and treats inside of it with encouragement. Closing the door a few times, leaving it open, etc. At the end of each I've closed the door and gave him a nice reward of treats/food at the end. First time he did not whine at all. Second and third he just whined for like 15 seconds then settled in. Here he is now on a Kong toy stuffed with food.

If you have any tips let me know, I'm all ears.

Parker-03.jpg
One thing that we did with the dog is we never put those pad things down on the ground. people say it trains them to go to the toilet in the house. If you keep running out with him when he's trying to go to the toilet eventually he will just bark at the door when he needs to go. That's one thing that helped me,
And he's cute btw.

Back