Not sure how to ask

Malik111

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
But this is serious. I started weight training a few months ago, after a long break ( 5 years ) So now I have a specific "problem"
When I do benchpressing - I warm up and before starting the real weight I do like 30 pushups then rest 2-3 mins then I make 10 reps with 170 pounds to warm up and then I do my sets with 200 pounds 9 -10 reps which is at the moment the max I can do, like when I do the 9th rep I know I cannot go another one, impossible ! I train with that weight for about 4 weeks already, so I thought if I can do 9 reps with 200 pounds I should be able to do like 11-12 with 185 pounds. But I can do only 9 -10 reps just as if its 200 pounds. I thought maybe I had a bad day or I lost some strenght But I can do the 185 pounds as much as the 200 pounds I tried several times..

So WHY is that ?

Are you trying this after you bench 200lbs? If that's the case, it's normal. It's called fatigue. Also, why are you doing push ups to warm up for bench? Why not just do lighter bench presses?

What I'd try is doing less reps in your warm up sets, like stick to 3-5. Don't make warm up sets working sets. If you think you need to add a bit more strength go heavier than 200lbs for 3-5 reps, or if you want to keep working high rep maybe try the 11-12 reps of 185lbs first.

Are you trying this after you bench 200lbs? If that's the case, it's normal. It's called fatigue. Also, why are you doing push ups to warm up for bench? Why not just do lighter bench presses?

What I'd try is doing less reps in your warm up sets, like stick to 3-5. Don't make warm up sets working sets. If you think you need to add a bit more strength go heavier than 200lbs for 3-5 reps, or if you want to keep working high rep maybe try the 11-12 reps of 185lbs first.

I tried the 185 reps 11-12 times But I cannot do more than 10. Even if its my first set of reps, thats why I am so confused. I can do 185 pounds as my first set or 200 pounds but I wont be able to do more than 10 reps.

I tried the 185 reps 11-12 times But I cannot do more than 10. Even if its my first set of reps, thats why I am so confused. I can do 185 pounds as my first set or 200 pounds but I wont be able to do more than 10 reps.

It might actually be a conditioning thing. You are expending alot of energy doing higher reps like this. It might sound weird, but improving your cardio might help you here.

It might actually be a conditioning thing. You are expending alot of energy doing higher reps like this. It might sound weird, but improving your cardio might help you here.

I'll give it a try :) thx

Back