Not so sure Jake vs Robbie will be as exciting as people think

I don't think it matters if Jake is smart and will try to use his wrestling. Lawler is in his prime and looking better than ever. Lawler was able to defend the beards takedowns almost the whole fight. If it wasn't for that takedown that Hendricks got in the last minute that he did nothing with, Lawler would be your WW champion right now.

He probably defended those TDs because Hendricks had a fucked up bicep that required surgery. Plus, you have to remember that JH got the takedown because he rocked Lawler, something that Jake is certainly capable of doing. I still think that Robbie wins this one, but lets not get carried away.

Jake is going to be tentative for fear of taking a nap and the fight will be dull unless one of them gets ko'd.

Ellenberger is a boring fighter with monster KO power. People sometimes mistake the KO power with being exciting. You are right. He probably will try the takedown game. The guy wanted nothing to do with John Howard standing years ago. I imagine he probably doesn't want anything to do with Lawler's power. The good thing is Lawler has solid TDD and ability to get up.

This.

I hope Berger flattens him inside 60 seconds and Sherdog implodes.

I like Robbie but I want to see a new contender emerge and Jake is cool.

Forced to bet, I would say Lawler gets the finish though.

65 / 35 Fight IMO in Lawlers favour, wouldn't surprise me to see Jake win by KO though.

If you've listened to Jake talk a lot it's clear that he's a pretty smart guy, and if you've listened to him talk about this fight on the MMA Roasted podcast it sounds to me like he's going to fight smart and try and take Robbie down. He's also fought very strategically and conservative in the past, so I doubt he's going to be doing much trading on the feet with a guy like Robbie.

If Jake's game plan is to take Robbie down I think he'll be successful as Robbie has shown that he doesn't have the greatest tdd when it comes to well timed explosive shots in the middle of the octagon and Jake has a very good and very explosive double leg. Rory went 3-5 on td's and the 3 td's he got he got from shooting on Robbie and got them easily, Koscheck shot on Robbie once at the beginning of their fight and got the td easily.

If Jake is able to take Robbie down I don't think Jake is good enough on the ground to do much to Robbie and I think he'll just be trying to hold Robbie down, and if Robbie gets back to his feet he'll probably be a lot more hesitant to be aggressive and commit to strikes. Robbie was very conservative on the feet against Rory for fear of the td, minus a couple explosive bursts where he hurt Rory.

Both those guys you mentioned also got beat. He does get taken down for sure (because very few are willing to bang with him), but he's a great wrestler, and really good and jumping back up when taken down. Johnny wasn't throwing him around like Condit or anything. I think Robbie wins this fight, but Jake is a monster so you can never count him out.

Ellenberger is a boring fighter with monster KO power. People sometimes mistake the KO power with being exciting. You are right. He probably will try the takedown game. The guy wanted nothing to do with John Howard standing years ago. I imagine he probably doesn't want anything to do with Lawler's power. The good thing is Lawler has solid TDD and ability to get up.

C'mon man, thats not too fair - lets look at his UFC fights:

vs Condit - one of my fave WW scraps ever
vs Pyle - TKO start of 2nd round
vs Howard - Average but got the finish and messed up Howard
vs Rocha - Can't remember watching this to be honest
vs Person - Nasty KO in first round
vs Shields - Epic KO in 1st round
vs Sanchez - Awesome back and forth scrap, FOTN
vs Kampmann - Short and savage fight, almost finished Kamp in the 1st
vs Heiron - Average fight - not boring as such but he was tentative
vs Marquardt - Nasty, nasty KO (better than Lombards effort IMO)
vs Rory Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

So mixed bag, but definitely better than average with some great scraps and KOs easily outweighing snoozers.

Yea and Koschek shot on Robbie again, got sprawled on, and got blasted with heavy shots for his troubles. Robbie Lawler's TDD and and grappling are completely underrated. I blame that on Jacare raping him in Strikeforce in a weight class Robbie had no business fighting in.

exactly. robbie did well against hendricks ffs.

I'd love someone to show me one fight where Ellenberger's supposedly top-notch wrestling has remotely come into play, in the UFC.

He isn't taking Lawler down, even if he wants to. I can see a slow, boring 1st round and then Lawler erupting in the 2nd and finishing him.

Well, at least Robbie isn't Rory....

After the Rory fight, Ellenberger has to know he'd be on thin ice if he has another dud like that.

At the very least, he wouldn't get a title shot off a win like that. Everyone is trying to impress. Or at least should be.

Despite all of this, I believe Robbie's still got the R1 T/KO in this one.

C'mon man, thats not too fair - lets look at his UFC fights:

vs Condit - one of my fave WW scraps ever
vs Pyle - TKO start of 2nd round
vs Howard - Average but got the finish and messed up Howard
vs Rocha - Can't remember watching this to be honest
vs Person - Nasty KO in first round
vs Shields - Epic KO in 1st round
vs Sanchez - Awesome back and forth scrap, FOTN
vs Kampmann - Short and savage fight, almost finished Kamp in the 1st
vs Heiron - Average fight - not boring as such but he was tentative
vs Marquardt - Nasty, nasty KO (better than Lombards effort IMO)
vs Rory Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

So mixed bag, but definitely better than average with some great scraps and KOs easily outweighing snoozers.

The heiron fight was absolutely terrible, the only good part is when heiron attempted a single and Ellenberger decided to float.

The rest of his fights were pretty good.

People seem to forget strikeforce Robbie. His latest ufc run really flatters him. He beat a washed up koshchek, a nobody then got a dream stylistic matchup in Hendricks. I really think he's overrated probably a top 5-10 welterweight. Fortunately that is exactly were I see jake as well. However I think if jake uses his wrestling he can definitely get the W. And at juicey odds too.

I think you're right that there's a great chance that Ellenberger will look for takedowns- I just don't think it'll work out too well for him.

I recall what Lawler said to Greg Savage about the Rory fight: "If you thought someone was going to beat me with just a jab, you're absolutely crazy." I think the same thing goes for takedowns.

Lawler's looked sensational in his last few and I don't he's getting laid on by anyone right now. Ellenberger has big power but nowhere near the overall game / cardio of someone like Hendricks.

I hope Berger flattens him inside 60 seconds and Sherdog implodes.

I like Robbie but I want to see a new contender emerge and Jake is cool.

Forced to bet, I would say Lawler gets the finish though.

65 / 35 Fight IMO in Lawlers favour, wouldn't surprise me to see Jake win by KO though.

agree

Back