Not so sure Jake vs Robbie will be as exciting as people think

613MMAfan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
If you've listened to Jake talk a lot it's clear that he's a pretty smart guy, and if you've listened to him talk about this fight on the MMA Roasted podcast it sounds to me like he's going to fight smart and try and take Robbie down. He's also fought very strategically and conservative in the past, so I doubt he's going to be doing much trading on the feet with a guy like Robbie.

If Jake's game plan is to take Robbie down I think he'll be successful as Robbie has shown that he doesn't have the greatest tdd when it comes to well timed explosive shots in the middle of the octagon and Jake has a very good and very explosive double leg. Rory went 3-5 on td's and the 3 td's he got he got from shooting on Robbie and got them easily, Koscheck shot on Robbie once at the beginning of their fight and got the td easily.

If Jake is able to take Robbie down I don't think Jake is good enough on the ground to do much to Robbie and I think he'll just be trying to hold Robbie down, and if Robbie gets back to his feet he'll probably be a lot more hesitant to be aggressive and commit to strikes. Robbie was very conservative on the feet against Rory for fear of the td, minus a couple explosive bursts where he hurt Rory.

I've just finished watching UFC countdown, Jake comes off a little douchey to me, it could just be me but. I was gunna place a bet on Jake at those healthy odds but not now I hope he gets KOd . I think the majority of this fight will be on the feet , if Koscheck can't hold Lawler down Jake won't .

I've just finished watching UFC countdown, Jake comes off a little douchey to me, it could just be me but. I was gunna place a bet on Jake at those healthy odds but not now I hope he gets KOd . I think the majority of this fight will be on the feet , if Koscheck can't hold Lawler down Jake won't .

Koscheck couldn't deal with Lawler's butterfly guard, which was surprising. Rory did well keeping Lawler down minus the one time he decided to take a nap on Lawler's cheat and literally lay there until he was stood up.

Ellenberger is a boring fighter with monster KO power. People sometimes mistake the KO power with being exciting. You are right. He probably will try the takedown game. The guy wanted nothing to do with John Howard standing years ago. I imagine he probably doesn't want anything to do with Lawler's power. The good thing is Lawler has solid TDD and ability to get up.

I have the same feeling.

Two guys who can punch really hard and both have a lot on the line in this fight. Of course it's not gonna be exciting.

If you've listened to Jake talk a lot it's clear that he's a pretty smart guy, and if you've listened to him talk about this fight on the MMA Roasted podcast it sounds to me like he's going to fight smart and try and take Robbie down. He's also fought very strategically and conservative in the past, so I doubt he's going to be doing much trading on the feet with a guy like Robbie.

If Jake's game plan is to take Robbie down I think he'll be successful as Robbie has shown that he doesn't have the greatest tdd when it comes to well timed explosive shots in the middle of the octagon and Jake has a very good and very explosive double leg. Rory went 3-5 on td's and the 3 td's he got he got from shooting on Robbie and got them easily, Koscheck shot on Robbie once at the beginning of their fight and got the td easily.

If Jake is able to take Robbie down I don't think Jake is good enough on the ground to do much to Robbie and I think he'll just be trying to hold Robbie down, and if Robbie gets back to his feet he'll probably be a lot more hesitant to be aggressive and commit to strikes. Robbie was very conservative on the feet against Rory for fear of the td, minus a couple explosive bursts where he hurt Rory.

Yea and Koschek shot on Robbie again, got sprawled on, and got blasted with heavy shots for his troubles. Robbie Lawler's TDD and and grappling are completely underrated. I blame that on Jacare raping him in Strikeforce in a weight class Robbie had no business fighting in.

Jake will try to take Lawler down but I think Lawler is going to force Jake to strike with him with his scrambling and takedown defense. That doesn't mean Lawler is out of the woods because Ellenberger can knock anyone out but I think that will steer the fight in Lawler's favor.

I don't think it matters if Jake is smart and will try to use his wrestling. Lawler is in his prime and looking better than ever. Lawler was able to defend the beards takedowns almost the whole fight. If it wasn't for that takedown that Hendricks got in the last minute that he did nothing with, Lawler would be your WW champion right now.

Ellenberger is a boring fighter with monster KO power. People sometimes mistake the KO power with being exciting. You are right. He probably will try the takedown game. The guy wanted nothing to do with John Howard standing years ago. I imagine he probably doesn't want anything to do with Lawler's power. The good thing is Lawler has solid TDD and ability to get up.

This. If you leave your chin out there and are stationary, Jake will destroy you. If you fight with some strategy and intelligence - Jake will freeze up and not be sure of how he wants to attack. I never get too high of expectations when watching him fight. Been let down one too many times.

UFC 173 as a whole doesn't really seem worth the PPV $$$ on paper. Cormier will probably slowly grind out Hendo, Barao will stop Dillashaw early, Jake/Robbie will have it's moments but have a lot of inactivity also. Varner will probably be much more careful and the guy he's fighting doesn't have much of a resume. Just how I see this event going down. Prelims are ho-hum at best. Who knows, I could be wrong come Saturday but I don't see an event of the year type card here.

This. If you leave your chin out there and are stationary, Jake will destroy you. If you fight with some strategy and intelligence - Jake will freeze up and not be sure of how he wants to attack. I never get too high of expectations when watching him fight. Been let down one too many times.

UFC 173 as a whole doesn't really seem worth the PPV $$$ on paper. Cormier will probably slowly grind out Hendo, Barao will stop Dillashaw early, Jake/Robbie will have it's moments but have a lot of inactivity also. Varner will probably be much more careful and the guy he's fighting doesn't have much of a resume. Just how I see this event going down. Prelims are ho-hum at best. Who knows, I could be wrong come Saturday but I don't see an event of the year type card here.

I mostly agree with all of what you said.

That said, I think Chiesa-Trinaldo will be the most exciting fight on the card.

Two fighters who are known for their heavy strikes will deviate from what they're known for and go for takedowns for a surprise effect.

I think 60% of the time Lawler knocks him out cold within 3 rounds. and i base this assumption on absolutely nothing.

I don't think it matters if Jake is smart and will try to use his wrestling. Lawler is in his prime and looking better than ever. Lawler was able to defend the beards takedowns almost the whole fight. If it wasn't for that takedown that Hendricks got in the last minute that he did nothing with, Lawler would be your WW champion right now.

I made a point of saying his tdd defending good shots isn't that great, not overall tdd. Hendricks td attempts were all or almost all against the fence.

To the other poster above, same thing, Kos' td attempts after Lawler got up were along the fence.

I think Ellenberger can (T)KO Lawler but Lawler will win if the fight stays on the feet.

Jake will try to take Lawler down but I think Lawler is going to force Jake to strike with him with his scrambling and takedown defense. That doesn't mean Lawler is out of the woods because Ellenberger can knock anyone out but I think that will steer the fight in Lawler's favor.

See it going like that as well

I could see this happening just as the ts described. I'm really curious to see how this fight plays out. I don't really care who wins, I just hope it's a competitive fight with lots of exchanges.

Back