Not rooting for your hometown team

Born in Boston, but fuck that. Grew up within a mile of Shea, but fuck that, I love those baseball Yankees.

Now I live in Michigan and pull for the Lions and Tigers.

Are you All In on the Republic FC?
1*eDXZv9VmFnQXkyQL-bHtqQ.gif

I recently moved to Southern California (from northern California) and it's a mix between Die hard LA fans (who are more a fan of the city itself than sports) and fans that were born here but love a franchise outside of LA. I share the opinion that you should rep your city. Winning brings the people together and when your team wins the championship, you celebrate with the team and the city. If you're a fan of a franchise from another city, chances are you're going to be watching another city celebrate from your couch.
If that said fan has roots in said city then I can understand but I find it a bit odd when I find Boston sports fans here in SoCal when they were born and raised in LA. Hell, I recently dated a girl who was raised here in LA but is a NE Patriots fan while also a NY Yankees fan.... By far the best looking girl I've ever dated but she turned out to be quite the head case and very untrustworthy.

Last edited:
As a Sacramento fan who has had to endure an endless stream of purple & gold jerseys since I was a kid, hell yes. It's a form of Stockholm Syndrome.

The weak fall prey to winning bandwagons, and of course the larger markets are able to generate more wins. When small market fans buy their shit it only compounds their natural advantage. I can't stand it.
Big Peja Stojakic/ J. Williams fan from Norcal (who now resides in the heart of Laker town) here. Every time I see a Kings fan I personally go out of my way to thank them for not jumping on the Warriors band wagon, so thank you.

Cleveland pro teams/Ohio State fan. For the most part it's been a curse outside of the Buckeyes, but it's my curse so I embrace it.

I have rooted for a couple players on other teams though in life. Notably Kevin Garrett from his rookie year, because as a kid hearing someone went pro from HS was awesome. Dennis Rodman..because it was Dennis Rodman. Also, for some reason I really liked Nomar Garciaparra.

Imagine being tribal when you cant even choose the tribe in which you want to belong

Big Peja Stojakic/ J. Williams fan from Norcal (who now resides in the heart of Laker town) here. Every time I see a Kings fan I personally go out of my way to thank them for not jumping on the Warriors band wagon, so thank you.
Fuck the Warriors

I moved from Michigan many, many years ago, but they are always my favorite teams even though they all currently suck. I have moved many places, and I do root for places I move to but not over Detroit teams. The only team I was really a big fan of for no real reason were the Chargers back when I was a kid. But those 80's teams were awesome.

It is amazing how many lifelong Warriors fans I have come across the past few years. Or how many people somehow manage for "legit" reasons to be fans of the Yankees/Warriors/Seahawks or whatever the "cool" teams to like in a certain timeframe are. If you like the Warriors, you are a bandwagon fan. Period. Unless you are from Oakland and are one of the 250 fans they had 10 years ago

I always think it's kind of shady to not root for your hometown team. I'm from New England, but moved to Florida a long time ago. I'm a diehard New England fan though. I hate teams from Florida.

Some people just seem to pick teams that are good teams when they're growing up and I think that's pretty lame.

Stick to your hometown team.

What do you guys think?
I agree. Your home town team contributes to your local economy. It creates jobs, brings in tourists, etc., etc. You should always root for your home town team or no one at all.

Back