Not Much Talk About Adesanya vs. Gastelum

He also has like 4 combos in his arsenal. He's a limited, short range striker who is extremely reliant on his opponents making mistakes and walking themselves into his punches. .
Being an effective striker is not about how many combos you use, it's about whether or not you can hit your opponent. Mayweather basically used left jabs and right straights, as single punches, towards the end of his career. Still beat everybody because he was able to land. Kelvin is an extremely effective striker in MMA, that criticism isn't worth a damn until he has one fight at 185 where he doesn't hurt his opponent.

Seems weird that two of the most promising middleweight fighters are competing next weekend and no one seems to be talking about it. Adesanya usually has tons of hype when he fights and just headlined a PPV. Great fight in my opinion. Why is this going under the radar?
I can't wait for this fight. Really interested to see if Israel's footwork and superior striking technique (lacking in power) can overcome Kelvin's 1-2 with huge KO power.

Also want to see if Kelvin finally uses his wrestling, and if Israel can stop it.

But c'mon, you know why it's not getting as much talk as normal...

The real MW champ is out, and most think Romero and Rockhold would beat either of them...

I favor Gastelum by some type of choke, but that's just a feeling. My brain tells me it's a pick um fight and not to bet on it.

Kelvin will land something significant eventually and TKO Izzy.

Adesanya has beautiful footwork but his boxing defense in the pocket has holes and Gastelum will land a left cross down the pipe "Mexican style"

Crazy that people are actually picking Kelvin in this fight.. How? What is his path to victory? His one two? When he's at a nine inch reach disadvantage against an elite striker? His wrestling? That he never ever uses, ever, in years...

Kelvin is going to get picked apart and probably knocked out

No one cares about this GARBAGE.

When is Conor returning??

Will Khabib stop being a chicken shit and grant him a rematch? PUSSY.

Israel breaks him down after 3rd round for the ko

Crazy that people are actually picking Kelvin in this fight.. How? What is his path to victory? His one two? When he's at a nine inch reach disadvantage against an elite striker? His wrestling? That he never ever uses, ever, in years...

Common sense is not a common thing around here.

I can't wait for this fight. Really interested to see if Israel's footwork and superior striking technique (lacking in power) can overcome Kelvin's 1-2 with huge KO power.

Does he have huge KO power? He knocked out Bisping, who basically got killer by Anderson, Dan Henderson and GSP and was at the end of his career by then. Bisping chin was long gone. Then old man Vitor, again was getting knocked out all over the place and retired a fight or two later.

Go look at his record, most if his fights have an * next to them. He's beat to old men by knock out, had some TKO's not one punch finished and then some losses to people like Magny... People have this idea that he's some great wrestle based off of some ultimate fighter fights I'm sure

It's an intriguing fight, but just a glorified title eliminator. So the fight dosen't hold the massive divisional weight that a title opportunity would. Most of us will obviously be very much interested come fight time, but it's not a game changer of a fight.

Wrestlemania is this weekend, gotta focus on the real sports on not some hype machine like the UFC

Does he have huge KO power? He knocked out Bisping, who basically got killer by Anderson, Dan Henderson and GSP and was at the end of his career by then. Bisping chin was long gone.
Except that didn't happen.

Anderson, Hendo, and GSP all nailed Bisping, and Bisping stayed in the fight, beating two of them. And Anderson and Hendo undoubtedly have crazy knock out power.

Kelvin hit Bisping once in the first round and it was game over, one shot KO.

So yeah, I do think it makes a pretty good case for his power at 185. Kelvin hasn't shown it every fight, but when he lands good with his 1-2, there's serious power there.

And Israel has been hit a surprising amount in his last few fights for how good a striker he is.

1. It’s an interim title.

2. Who did Kelvin last beat to get a title shot? They half blind Bisping?

3. Many feel that Adesanya underperformed against Silva, and didn’t try hard enough to put him away in the third.

Wait you mean we can actually talk about exciting fights that are coming up soon on here? And here I thought this board was just for Conor gossip.

And speaking of coming, Israel not really helping with that myth that MMA is just a bunch of gay dude's rolling around in their underwear.

Its a good fight, I got Gastelum by TKO in later rounds. No way Adesanya is knocking out Gastelum, no one is knocking out Gastelum, his head is built like a square asteroid. Adesanya is fast and accurate but he doesn't have big power in my opinion.

You are correct, he's got speed and accuracy in his punches but is not a power puncher. If he wings it more like Hendo to put power into it that will compromise the accuracy. He can rock a fighter and then finish him off with follow up strikes but not a one shot guy like Kelvin. This is most peoples perception of Adesenya. I thought the same when he first came on the scene.

But, we gotta consider his other assets as well. He's got a complete striking arsenal of high kicks, dangerous knees and elbows as well. And he flows so well in combinations from one to the other. I took a much closer look at Israel leading up to this fight and the TKO can come from any of those strikes. Again, not a one shot but a accumulation. So yah, I think he can finish Gastelum with a combination of strikes. A lot of his initial strikes that hurt his opponents come from a knee or a kick and then he uses his hands. It could be a high kick or a front kick, a knee inside, an elbow.

And Israel has the size in this fight to his advantage. Kelvin is 5'9, Israel will have a 7" height advantage and a 9" reach. Kelvin fits very well size wise to his style.

The more I look at this fight the more I see it that way. The reach and height plays a big factor. Israel has a full arsenal of strikes, the kicks, knees, elbows, punches. He's got the footwork and distance management. In order for Kelvin to win, Israel will have to make a mistake and play into Kelvins game and I don't see him doing that. If both guys fight their fight it favor Israel.

Kevin by brutal ko or adesanya by decision.. maybe a head kick leading to tko but cant see him finishing it with the hands

kelvin probably destroys adesanya.

The more I look at this fight the more I see it that way. The reach and height plays a big factor. Israel has a full arsenal of strikes, the kicks, knees, elbows, punches. He's got the footwork and distance management. In order for Kelvin to win, Israel will have to make a mistake and play into Kelvins game and I don't see him doing that. If both guys fight their fight it favor Israel.
Izzy's height & reach are really only an advantage if Kelvin gives him space. If Kelvin pressures him, then that length & height can easily turn into a disadvantage, & the height especially could make it even easier for Kelvin to take him down. Remember in the Anderson fight, Izzy was looking very bad once Anderson started to pressure him & come forward (& that was a completely washed-up 43 year old Anderson). Izzy obviously doesn't have tons of power, if he couldn't take an ancient version of Silva out in 5 rounds, whereas Kelvin literally blasted Bisping into retirement. None of this stuff means it's a guarantee for Kelvin, but I just think if he pressures Izzy, then he can definitely take it.

Back