not losing bench while not working out?

ucunc156

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
so in the last 9 or so months, i have hardly worked out. between work, college, gf, and a ps3, im lazy as hell to go to the gym. on rare occasion though i do go every now and then and plan on going from this week onwards since ive gained about 25 lbs since i started dating this girl 9 months ago. anyways, even though i hardly ever go, my bench stays stagnant. I've benched at 185 for a longgg time now (even before when i worked out regularly i never really repped more than 185). now i weigh 205ish and still bench the same even though im really out of shape compared to before. is their any reason why my bench never increased when i worked out daily and why it doesnt decrease now when i hardly ever work out?

is their any reason why my bench never increased when i worked out daily and why it doesnt decrease now when i hardly ever work out?

You don't have to lift that much to maintain, especially at the relatively low weights that you are lifting. As to why it got stuck, that's almost certainly a programming issue. As a beginner, you can do almost anything and get gains. At some point, doing "anything" stops working, and you get stuck. At that point, you need to actually put some thought into putting together a workout plan that is focused on helping you to make gains.

yeah i guess i havnt really cared since i mainly work out to keep up physical appearance and health. dont really care if i rep 250 lbs. just curious as to why it never increased or decreased much past 185

Working out daily (im assuming this meant you bench everyday) was not an efficient way to make progress. Look into something with better programming. And squat and deadlift if you aren't already.

yeah i guess i havnt really cared since i mainly work out to keep up physical appearance and health. dont really care if i rep 250 lbs. just curious as to why it never increased or decreased much past 185

Do you not think there would be health benefits to lifting greater weight. Benching 185 at 205lbs is pretty pitiful. As you lift higher weights and gain strength, your joints and muscles will work more efficiently with one another to adjust to the increasing load. If done correctly weight training will increase your stamina balance and flexibility. All of this will help with injury prevention.

Lifting the same weight for the same reps is not going to get your heart rate up as it once did, increasing the weight or reps is going make your heart pump harder, and increase heart strength.

Working out daily (im assuming this meant you bench everyday) was not an efficient way to make progress. Look into something with better programming. And squat and deadlift if you aren't already.

no sorry i meant 5 days different muscle groups every day. so chest in general was all done only once in a week.

Do you not think there would be health benefits to lifting greater weight. Benching 185 at 205lbs is pretty pitiful. As you lift higher weights and gain strength, your joints and muscles will work more efficiently with one another to adjust to the increasing load. If done correctly weight training will increase your stamina balance and flexibility. All of this will help with injury prevention.

Lifting the same weight for the same reps is not going to get your heart rate up as it once did, increasing the weight or reps is going make your heart pump harder, and increase heart strength.

i know now my bench is awful, but back when i weighed 180 and benched 185, i didnt think that was too bad. and i did increase every set, just not by a ton. usually do 10 reps at 185, 8 reps at 195, and i try to finish with 6 reps at 205.

Last edited:
Your posts don't make sense. You said you are still benching 185, but your routine looks like 10 reps at 195, 8 reps at 195, and i try to finish with 6 reps at 205. WTF!

Maybe you just meant that you continued to use 185 but just increased your reps.

Either way, you need to use an actual program, check the wiki, and pick a program. If that's what you're repping, you're 1RM is probably closer to 260.

Either way, you need to use an actual program, check the wiki, and pick a program. If that's what you're repping, you're 1RM is probably closer to 260.

What wiki are you referring to? Got a link? (sorry for thread hijack).

sorry i mistyped. 10 at 185, 8 at 195, and hopefully 6 at 205

sorry i mistyped. 10 at 185, 8 at 195, and hopefully 6 at 205

If you can do 6 reps at 205, then in what possible sense of the phrase can you mean that you've "never really repped more than 185"?

If you can do 6 reps at 205, then in what possible sense of the phrase can you mean that you've "never really repped more than 185"?

when i say i rep, i mean i can do it 10 times. i consider that my base rep. sorry for the confusion. hell i know i can do 235 at least twice last i checked... i didnt think that meant i could rep 235 lol. so to clear things up, i rep 185 ten times. i cant increase the weight without dropping my reps.

If you do not consistently incorporate lifts at or above 90% of your 1RM, you are not going to get stronger. That is your problem.

Start a program like starting strength or 5/3/1 and watch that weight begin to increase.

finally i get what im looking for. okay thanks.

and to answer your question, ive just always considered 10 reps the base. fuck if you guys thought i repped 185 for just 1 rep, no wonder you all called me a pussy basically.

finally i get what im looking for. okay thanks.

and to answer your question, ive just always considered 10 reps the base. fuck if you guys thought i repped 185 for just 1 rep, no wonder you all called me a pussy basically.

Your one rep max is about 230-240lb. No one was calling you a pussy. They were just stating the fact that your bench was relatively week. It is still at an intermediate level.

i was referencing the person who said my 185 rep was pathetic. i was a bit taken aback bc i didnt think doing 185 10 times was that bad lol. but now i def see why he would say it was pathetic if i could only do it once.

Back