Not knowing how to swim

A guy drowned one day right next to the docks. Fell off the dock and couldn't swim well enough to make it a few feet to the shore.

Nature's way of thinning out the herd!

I'm bringing my 4 year old to swim lessons this year and I feel like I'm a slacker starting him too late.
Yeah, that's how I feel too. I never had lessons, but grew up practically in a lake.

I'm a great swimmer. Made it to the county championships a few times when I was young. I refused to wear a speedo when I turned 11 and quit. My nieces have been taking lessons starting at two.

I have really two basic things I expect my sons to learn.

How to fight decently, and how to swim decently. They don't even have to be good at either. Just decent competence is sufficient.

That's literally it. The rest, they can follow their interests and what not. But these are foundational skills for any man. A pool of water should not represent a deadly threat to your life. That's completely unacceptable.

I grew up and live in Michigan. When I was a kid I thought everyone new how to swim and it wasnt until i was out of school and meeting new people that I learned of such a thing.

Its kind of a regional thing. If you come from nevada or arizona or a place like that I guess its understandable but theres a ton of places in the us where saying I cant swim should earn you scorn and a kick in the balls. If you live near water learning how to function well enough to get ot of it should be n automatic.

I have really two basic things I expect my sons to learn.

How to fight decently, and how to swim decently. They don't even have to be good at either. Just decent competence is sufficient.

That's literally it. The rest, they can follow their interests and what not. But these are foundational skills for any man. A pool of water should not represent a deadly threat to your life. That's completely unacceptable.

I think anyone non disabled can be taught to swim but I dont think everyone has it in them to be a decent fighter.

They got cops in schools and expel kids for basic playground rivalries so theres less chance to learn. I would wager that most kids born in the 70s and 80s could probably mix it up better than kids born in the 90s or later ya know.

I always thought swimming came naturally for most animals. I swim like a fish.

I was never a great swimmer, but just good enough.

But when I moved here, I got a place with a pool. My kids are fish and are on the swim team. It's amazing, they make it looks so easy.

I did have a couple bad nightmares about them drowning though. When they were 3, we had them take the lessons where they basically throw them in and make them start swimming. It was insane to watch and couple of kids couldn't do it. But most of the kids got over their fear of putting their head underwater almost immediately and were swimming on the first day.

yes 67 years old she grew up in a different time.
My Grandmother never learned to ride a bike.

Why is your wife worried about the pool? If your children can swim what reason would her mother have to go into the pool? Or worried she falls in?

She is just worried that she will get in the pool with the kids while we are gone and get stuck in the deep end. Just worried about her mom.

Is your mother in law black?

Na bro. Latina. Little Mexican lady.

I took months and months of swimming lessons as a kid because my grandfather was the pool operator at a local high school. He got me the lessons for free.

I actually heard recently that a fire department was sued or people were bitching that they were discriminating because they required potential firefighters to be able to swim. Those complaining were black and said they were discriminated against because "black people don't swim" True Story.

Na bro. Latina. Little Mexican lady.

In that case, is not to late. My mom learned how to swim after she retired when she was 61 by taking swim lessons.

I actually heard recently that a fire department was sued or people were bitching that they were discriminating because they required potential firefighters to be able to swim. Those complaining were black and said they were discriminated against because "black people don't swim" True Story.

It's just science. The hair causes too much resistance and they end up sinking. OTOH, black dudes with shaved heads do okay. Why do you think that one singer dude with the shaved head Seal?

i can't swim and i'm doing just fine for myself. i don't understand how you can swim "enough to save your life". i can "swim" but i sure as hell can't save my life.

Cant swim and it has not affected my life in any major way.

On that note i cant ride a bycicle or drive a car either.........so meh

Why does she think she'll drown? lol If she can't swim she's not gonna be in the pool amirite??

Is this a veiled thread to find out who all the black posters of sherdog are.

Lol.

got to live up to the :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: stereotype here... i can't swim for shit and don't plan to lol.

Considering that 71% of the Earths surface is water, it would be very nearsighted to go through your entire life and not know how to swim.

Can someone explain this up me (not from the US)?

Inner city people in the US dont have access to pools and thus dont often learn how to swim

Same reason i never learned. I'm not explosive though

Back