Not going to make weight in time -- bulking suggestions?

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by Fedorzilla, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fedorzilla

Fedorzilla Brown Belt

Ok,

I'm preparing for the Asian Open grappling tournament this Saturday. I tried to cut weight reasonably and have gotten very lean, but between work and other issues I'm not going to be able to get to the lower weight class (< 88.3 kilos). So, now my weight class is going to be the < 94.5 kilos division. I'm at about 90.1 and figure I should just do my best to ADD some decent mass over the next few days. I know this is a short amount of time and I have a pretty high metabolism, but every pound would help and I'm pretty agile for my weight, so I should be ok. Just want to add whatever size I can reasonably.

I know that carbs will help, but what should I be eating to put on another 3-5 pounds between now and Saturday without becoming sluggish. I have plenty of muscle milk and can be pounding shakes like that if need be, but I thought I'd ask around to see the best method.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  2. silvasurfer5253

silvasurfer5253 Purple Belt

Take a shake b4 bed, one in the morning, and one after working out/training. See how you feel after the first few days, not sure how ur body will react (as far as feeling sluggish)

3. DrMontello

DrMontello Chieftain

chicken breast and raw vegetables

spinach, avacado all kinds of veggies

4. GJJNY

GJJNY Purple Belt

Sounds like you're just going to make yourself sick.

5 days and 5 pounds is kind of unreasonable as far as real muscle gain/real fat loss is concerned.

You'd need to eat 3,500 above maintenance to gain a pound a day, in theory. I'd just go in light and chalk it up to experience. A few pounds of fat/water weight isn't going to amount to a hill of beans in the long run.

5. Fedorzilla

Fedorzilla Brown Belt

I understand that. I am not trying to gain enough to reach 94.5 kilos by week's end. That's ridiculous. I'm just trying to add a reasonable amount of mass (few pounds) in the next 4 days and asking what to consume to do it as efficiently as possible.

I know little things like waking up in the middle of the night to eat a shake/peanut butter (and/or doing that right before bed) can help you add weight, but thought that perhaps someone here could contribute a bit more insight.

6. oyaji poi

oyaji poi oyaji belt

changing your diet significantly a few days before a major tournament is a bad idea.

expecting any major changes in your body composition in a few days is a ridiculous idea.

focus on your game plan, conditioning, and flexibility. keep your diet the same.

7. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

I'm not sure why you'd want to. The weight classes in tournaments are designed so that people of approximately the same strength compete. I don't worry about rolling with a 250 pound guy because he's heavy, I worry about the fact that he might be stronger than me.

The only thing I could think of that might be useful would be to do some kind of creatine loading. Simply adding mass for the sake of being a couple pounds heavier isn't going to help you, as any mass that you add in the next week isn't going to be functional mass, and strength will be a much greater factor in your division than mass.

8. msh2

msh2 Green Belt

big changes need ramping in, a significant increase this close can only be detrimental

besides, who wants to roll around with 20lb of digesting food inside them?

9. XTrainer

XTrainer Red Belt

The only way to appreciably increase your weight over the course of a week is via water retention, food in the digestive tract, etc. Needless to say, you don't need to go into your tournament feeling stuffed and bloated.

Just eat like normal, and good luck with your tournament.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.