Not getting the basic subs..

Calc

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey,
I've been training for about six months.
Lately I have noticed that when I tap someone out, it's usually from some wierd angle during a wierd ass transition. Is this perhaps because my positioning isn't good enough? I feel that the submissions I pull of are somewhat high risk, and ofcourse I want to eliminate some of the risk.

Is this something that is normal for people with limited experience?

Yes, armbars used to feel next to impossible for me to get, but once I realized its about control rather than speed, I started finishing them more often. Position before Submission.

Give it time. Your submissions are going to suck for a while. The little minute details MATTER a lot! If you don't have the details down, you're submissions are going to be sloppy.

Would it help to drill the submissions to death, or should I just keep trying to do them while rolling?

Thanks

The basic subs are harder to get at the beginning because everyone is better at defending them then you are at applying them. Keep going for them though and try not to compensate by using gimmicky moves, build the basics for now. There are places for gimmicky moves that natural fall into your transitions later. For example, if you play a lot of omoplatas the gogoplata may come in as a natural transition.

drill them man. not static drills all the time but dynamic armbar drills and go for subs u want to have down while rolling. at one point we all had that sub we could never get. keep goin for it and focus on technique and u'll get it. drill drill drill

What I get the most is the armbar from some kind of rubberguard, armbar by rolling when people are in a turtle position etc. I also often pull of a triangle, but almost everytime I go for it there is a big chance I'll get passed.

I try to work on my basics while rolling, but it's not always that easy since the other guy tries to do stuff too :)

Any technique or position in particular that you're having the problem finishing, or whatever you try from any position?

Would it help to drill the submissions to death, or should I just keep trying to do them while rolling?

Thanks

Both! You need to keep working hard on your subs and your sub defense. Learning how to properly defend a sub will also help you learn how to pull the sub off. You'll start to understand what you absolutely need to pull off a sub.

You also need feedback. Don't be afraid to ask your instructor questions or to have him watch you as you attempt the sub (you are paying him to teach you afterall). Don't be afraid to ask the more advanced guys at your school re: what mistakes you're making).

If you keep working hard and getting proper feedback, eventually things will start clicking for you.

Any technique or position in particular that you're having the problem finishing, or whatever you try from any position?

Armbar from guard and keeping sidemount..

Sherdog_Mutt: I try asking as much as possible without beeing too annoying :)

Thanks guys

Sherdog_Mutt: I try asking as much as possible without beeing too annoying :)

Thanks guys

I bet I was annoying as hell to my instructor and some of the advanced guys when I first started. I wouldn't stop asking questions. However, it really helped me understand BJJ and the concepts/philosophy behind it. Remember, if you're practicing and drilling a technique wrong it does you no good. The only way a noob can figure this out is through feedback. Good luck!

You armbar from the guard will slowly become tighter and better. When you're drilling that I'd say just to stay tight and lift your hips more when turning your body.

Regarding side control, I sucked for the longest time and didn't know why. That's not to say I dominate now, but I literally don't do anything different than I did before, but I noticed myself slowly having better control and ended up keeping side control longer and longer. There's no secret technique to get better at maintaining side control. Over time I just learned how to balance or turn my body different ways to make myself heavier and learn how to move depending on how the guy on the bottom reacts. Start with keeping chest pressure at all times and keeping your hips low.

Some good tips there, thanks! I'm trying to stay mobile while maintaining sidemount but it's hard!

One of my instructors gave me this drill to practise keeping heavy in side control while staying mobile-
Get the position on your partner. He tries to escape or replace full strength, in any way possible.
You, of course, try maintain position, but the catch is- you have to keep your hands on the mat. You cannot grab or hold him in any way. This forces you to use your head, torso, shoulders, hip and knee placement, and movement to keep them down. Sounds intimidating, but drilling this will let your body learn the little displacement and pressure details that lead to an iron side control.

edit- your hands dont have to be on the mat ALL the time, they just can't grab or hold or pin. Just a little clarification

Back