Not get countered uppercuts

Rwina

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I used to train boxing for more or less a year. Currently not taking classes but doing some drills. I don't have a trainer right now to ask. So I thought lets get some knowledge from sherdog.

Whenever I throw an uppercut I feel extremely vulnerable getting countered with an hook. Also, a reason I don't throw it a lot during sparring. I try to cover my chin with my shoulder while throwing but I still feel like my face i pretty hittable.

Do you guys have tips on how not to get countered by a hook while throwing an uppercut.

Hello everyone,

I used to train boxing for more or less a year. Currently not taking classes but doing some drills. I don't have a trainer right now to ask. So I thought lets get some knowledge from sherdog.

Whenever I throw an uppercut I feel extremely vulnerable getting countered with an hook. Also, a reason I don't throw it a lot during sparring. I try to cover my chin with my shoulder while throwing but I still feel like my face i pretty hittable.

Do you guys have tips on how not to get countered by a hook while throwing an uppercut.
set it up. Use your other punches to get them to cover up first then throw a short, clean uppercut. Move your head with the punch and again immediately after. If you keep getting hit with the hook then practice hitting the uppercut and rolling immediately under it:

(For all the arm chair quarter backs: Jamie here is a hobbyist who’s learning to box for fitness and fun. If you spot a bad habit or 6 I assure you so have I and we’re working on it)

(For all the arm chair quarter backs: Jamie here is a hobbyist who’s learning to box for fitness and fun. If you spot a bad habit or 6 I assure you so have I and we’re working on it)
I have a lot of bad habits. I wouldn't worry about what arm chair weapons think of peoples techniques haha

set it up. Use your other punches to get them to cover up first then throw a short, clean uppercut. Move your head with the punch and again immediately after. If you keep getting hit with the hook then practice hitting the uppercut and rolling immediately under it:

Thank you! That makes a lot of sense. Also if I hit them with my uppercut before they land the hook. I could land it pretty I imagine.

my guess would be your throwing the (right) uppercut at the wrong time and position.

Use the uppercut when you are in the pocket, or when the guy is leaning/bending forward and hunched over.

The problem with uppercuts is that people think of it as a punch you throw upwards. Throw it "straight" and forward. It's the same mechanics as throwing a cross or a hook but with the palm pointing up.

Not exactly, but it's a good cue that helped me a lot. It is a more difficult to punch to master, which is why guys with good uppercuts are not as common as guys with good hooks or straights.

Not getting countered is a different thing. Set up your shots with feints and probing shots.

my guess would be your throwing the (right) uppercut at the wrong time and position.

Use the uppercut when you are in the pocket, or when the guy is leaning/bending forward and hunched over.
Yup I’d say it’s mostly your timing of the uppercut. If I just launch it out there I’m sure to be countered

The problem with uppercuts is that people think of it as a punch you throw upwards. Throw it "straight" and forward. It's the same mechanics as throwing a cross or a hook but with the palm pointing up.

Not exactly, but it's a good cue that helped me a lot. It is a more difficult to punch to master, which is why guys with good uppercuts are not as common as guys with good hooks or straights.

Not getting countered is a different thing. Set up your shots with feints and probing shots.
this.

the two big mechanical cues that will help with this punch is to 1. Throw the punch by ripping your opposite shoulder back and 2. Never let your elbow travel backwards when you start to throw.

Knowing when to throw it.
Not winding it up.
Having the technique to execute it quick so the person likely will get hit by it before the counter.
Moving around generally to not be timed easy.

Back