Not competing against teammates...

My guys have competed against each other in tournaments and they are brothers. They surely do not go as hard as they would go with someone else but they still compete. Your teammates know you best and sometimes are the best matches. I just tell them go as if they were training.

Sorry, but it sounds like you are being treated as the little brother of that family...

I sound like the little brother of the family because I'm willing to put my ego aside and do what's best for my team? We all have our roles on a team, not everybody has to be the front man. I know the role I play, stepping aside, or beating, or losing to a teammate doesn't change it.

My guys have competed against each other in tournaments and they are brothers. They surely do not go as hard as they would go with someone else but they still compete. Your teammates know you best and sometimes are the best matches. I just tell them go as if they were training.

Their match awesome at our last tourney, real family competes with eachother. My brother and I go all out in the gym and in tournaments.

So how many "wins" aren't real wins?

I am not that into the competitive BJJ scene, just a practitioner

from the top of my head
Matt Serra
ADCC 2001 66

Not this!

When I go against teammates, my first goal is that no one gets hurt!! A crappy medal is not worth me or my teammate(all my teammates are also good friends) getting hurt and can't train. Not worth it to me. Even from another school, I don't want to really hurt anyone. I want a good clean submission.

???Who said anything about injuring someone??
Tearing someones arm off is a figure of speech. i.e. I'd fight just as hard as if I didn't know the person.

Also, I can't comprehend your statement about not fighting your son. What's the reasoning behind that? I have no qualms against choking my son (or nephews)...& when they get old enough my grandkids. That's part of training, you apply a technique until either the opponent taps or you figure out that he is going to succesfully counter it & you then move on to the next technique.

Edit: & I would expect my opponent to try his / her best to defeat me, regardless of whether they are a teammate or relative of mine. I would be disappointed in them if they did any less.

I don't have a problem with it, what I do have a problem with though is shit organizing like one of my last competitions, my 1st opponent was... tudutudu, my teammate, we had a great match but it meant one of us was not getting a medal for sure.

The only way I can see this being acceptable is if you both make it to the finals and decide to "co-champion"

I remember one time in college my two teamates had to wrestle eachother and they just fucked around and the total score was like 33-30... my coach was obsolutley livid. Man that was scary.

I don't like to second guess people who have accomplished more in this sport than I ever will. But for me, I would gladly compete in BJJ against a training partner - Out of respect for him (oh her) I wouldn't give an inch and would hope he would do the same for me.

If I lost, I would celebrate his victory as I'm sure they would do the same for me.

The only reason I hate going against guys from my gym is because they know my game. Other than that, it's on.

competing against guys in your gym is nothing like competing at an open tournament in front of hundreds of people. there are no spectators, nothing on the line, no real pressure to win. grappling is a sport and your teammates are that, until they run out of money. When i hear "we're a family at my gym" i laugh. What family charges you to be apart of it?

Agreed it's not the same in a tournament but I still don't see any logical reason to shell out hundreds of dollars in fees, travel costs, put up with shitty organized tournament, only to be matched up against a teammate. We can do that at the gym anytime. Id rather prove myself vs someone from another academy and represent my school.

Your the one getting the $$$ though so I could see how you would have a different view.

Agreed it's not the same in a tournament but I still don't see any logical reason to shell out hundreds of dollars in fees, travel costs, put up with shitty organized tournament, only to be matched up against a teammate. We can do that at the gym anytime. Id rather prove myself vs someone from another academy and represent my school.

Your the one getting the $$$ though so I could see how you would have a different view.

we always separate teammates in the first round of our brackets. our tourneys are double elimination. alot of times 2 teammates lose their first match and end up against eachother in the consolations.

also we only charge 40 dollars to compete and guarantee you at least 2 matches.

even at NAGA or GQ teammates end up in the same brackets, if your training partner is your age/weight/skill, how could you expect not to be in the same bracket?

I've never run into this personally. Although if I start doing nogi absolute brackets soon, maybe it will.

Well in 2009 World Pro's Michael Langhi and Marcelo Garcia fought each other, at this years Pan Ams Michael Langhi and Lucas Lepri did the Gentleman's Agreements. Why? Did Alliance changed their mind or something?

I did not know that Alliance has some particular policy.

I thought it was just up to individuals.

However, it sucks to see finals with no fighting.

especially at live event like pro AD JJ.

I personally don't care. I'll pretty much fight anyone, I train very hard so being able to compete is something I look forward to, and I don't have an ego issue where I can't bear losing to a team mate. I won't go 100 percent, I hate the idea of a team mate getting hurt competing against me.

If it were a boxing match, different story. Some guys I train with are like my family, I wouldn't be able to hit them as hard as I could. I wouldn't have the killer instinct to finish, because I care too much for them. But slowly applying an armbar or choke, or throwing someone for ippon is not a big deal for me.

I've competed against my teammates before.

I've also seen other pairs choose not to compete against each other. We don't have a policy on the issue, as far as I know.

I understand it, to a degree but haven't really done it.

The only way I can see this being acceptable is if you both make it to the finals and decide to "co-champion"

I remember one time in college my two teamates had to wrestle eachother and they just fucked around and the total score was like 33-30... my coach was obsolutley livid. Man that was scary.

lol why was he mad? I totally want to do that, just keep sweeping each other back and forth for five minutes and see how many points we can rack up, it would be funny

Back