Not competing against teammates...

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by FXG, Oct 10, 2010.

1. FXG

FXG Orange Belt

I run grappling tourneys in south florida and run into this issue quite often. 2 teammates make it to the finals or face each other in a consolation match ( we're double elimination) and refuse to grapple each other. I've had guys share medals, flip coins, play rock paper scissor, so they don't have to compete against eachother...

Personally this makes no sense, i have competed against teammates in the past and had some awesome matches. It's not the same as in the gym, the pressure is real and you are standing in the way of each others glory.

Would you compete against your teammate?why or why not?

2. TheeFaulted

TheeFaulted Inzer Belt

I don't understand it. The only thing I can imgaine is that it's guys who care about their tournament record and want to spare themselves from a possible loss. I was a wrestler and attended tournaments where we had multiple guys from our team in a weight class and we would occasionally have to wrestle a teammate. I always looked at the other guy as any other competitor standing acrss from me. I know of BJJ schools that have inhouse tournies as well, so I don't see why it would be an issue.

3. Ragnar

Ragnar K1 FAN

Yes. I want to test myself, and who better than someone I respect.

4. 214***

214*** Orange Belt

Yes i did twice both of them were at NAGA great matches. Lol at rock paper scissors :D

5. jerunk

jerunk Orange Belt

We only don't do it if we're in more than one division and we still have matches after. IE if we both make it to the GI finals but both have to do the no-gi division later. No use tiring each other out when we still have to compete. Usually the person who's been training longer will take it or we rock-paper scissors for it. Our coach has no problem with us doing it if we want but doesn't see the point of both of us hurting our chances in other divisions later. We already clinched 1st and 2nd and he says we can always have a match at the club after to see who wins.

Also if we don't have to compete later and it's our last match of the day then we'll do it.

6. mweaver123

mweaver123 Yellow Belt

I would completely destroy a teammate, if given the opportunity. I think we take the "team" concept a bit too far in the BJJ community at times.

7. deso

deso White Belt

My gym doesn't allow competing against teammates either. I was fine with it until I realized I had to forfeit a match in a tournament that I paid money to compete in. If it is the finals that is one thing, but this allowed him to continue in said tournament while I could not.

8. crackbaby420**

crackbaby420** Yellow Belt

grappling is a solo sport in the end so i dont agree plus its unfair to your opponents because it gives someone on your team a bye

@deso, thats what im talkin about he got to advance without fighting, it would suck for his opponent, who might have just went through a war, fighting someone fresh

9. Shinedown88

Shinedown88 Orange Belt

I compete for my team. My training partners are like my family. If we both end up in the finals than that means our team is the best.

Once you compete against a teammate you will start to hold back on helping them in the training room and that is not acceptable. I don't see a big deal in this unless your tournaments are small and need more competitors. No offense.

10. crackbaby420**

crackbaby420** Yellow Belt

what do u guys think of marcelo and sergio moraes not fighting for the gold 09 i believe? do u think they should have fought?

11. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

It's kind of a shitty situation if you meet your teammate before the finals. In that case I would let my teammate move on if I thought he had a better chance of winning it--so he could save his energy to beat the guy from the other team in the final match.

But normally they'll put people from the same team on opposite sides of the bracket as much as they possibly can so you won't meet your teammate until the final match.

In small, local tournaments I will always fight a teammate and just treat it as practice, but I would consider flipping for it if we were supposed to fight each other at a major tournament like pan-ams or mundials.

12. boisefireman

boisefireman Blue Belt

I would grapple a teammate, but I don't go against my son. We determine who will win before hand and then just roll going from move to move until we tire out. That is the way we do it. It happened about 5 or 6 times.

13. rowdstar

rowdstar Orange Belt

if i move down in age to 'adult' then i have had to fight team mates in tournaments.

every time we have talked about it and both decided to go for it.

i will say it again, i learn more in one day of competition about myself and my game than in a week of class. doesnt matter who i go against for that to be the case.

i would rather fight.

14. TheeFaulted

TheeFaulted Inzer Belt

That is a poor excuse. Like I said, I wrestled against teammates at tournaments before, but that has never changed anything on the practice mat. We are there to sharpen each other. If I don't make my training partners better, then I don't make myself better.

Some of you seem to be treating this as some kind of honor thing. If that were the case, I'd see legitimately competing against the teammate as the more honorable choice, than throwing a match.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  15. PerfectBalance

PerfectBalance Yellow Belt

I've competed against a training partner in 4 matches and didn't start training at his gym til after the tournaments we went to. Thats a trip because he's a lot stronger then me in training, but my technique is cleaner, so I win more matches.

16. Belatucadros

Belatucadros Brown Belt

this I want to see video of!

17. danielr

danielr Yellow Belt

Ive competed against team mates. Won some and lost some. No big deal.

I have an agreement with one of my team mates that if we both make it to the finals we are going to just act like clowns and let each other score like 90 points each on each other. Let them throw me, pass my guard, mount, knee on belly, then let me escape and stand up and repeat... Then run around and do cartwheels and whatnot.

18. DoubleUp

DoubleUp White Belt

I'm sorry...but having wrestled for many years, this is kinda crap. I have gladly competed against my teammates...in fact, I did so every week...to earn that varsity spot in high school...and later in college.

Competing against your teammates makes you, and them, better.

19. redaxe

redaxe Silver Belt

LOL... now THIS i want to see a video of!! :D

20. Crazy Legs

Crazy Legs Orange Belt

My school always fights in the finals, it has kinda become tradition. Nobody really holds back either.