Not caring about half the fights and/or half the fighters does NOT make you a casual.

It does, and that's not a bad thing. Most people who watch sports are casual fans. Unless you're insecure about not being in some exclusive "club" someone else made up, why do you care that you're not one of the people who's compelled to watch every minute of every MMA fight in every organization?

giphy.gif

Smells like casual in here.

The UFC had 20 events in 2008 roughly split between PPVs and TV events. At the time, this was the most events the UFC ever had in one year. Prelims were not televised until 2009.

In 2008, you could have only watched roughly 100 fights live (20 events x 4 to 5 main card fights). If you were a hardcore fan, watching twenty events a year at 2-3 hours each was very manageable. If you only cared to watch Chuck, Tito, BJ, Forest and the like then you were rightfully labelled a casual.

Things are way different today.

You now have 40+ events a year with at least 12 fights per event. We're talking 500 fights a year. Most likely more. To say someone is a casual for not caring about some no names on the prelims is silly. If you only watch half the fights that will still be 2.5 times more than what the hardest hardcore fan would have watched in 2008.

In other words, the main card for UFC 261 is solid. The prelims outside of maybe 1-2 fights are garbage.
<PlusJuan>

All of this. For not a real fan, this is real talk.

Half the events, half the roster then you get that quality back. Oversaturation is hurting the UFC brand.

Let Bellator, ONE, and the regionals fill the gaps for the hardcores.

The UFC had 20 events in 2008 roughly split between PPVs and TV events. At the time, this was the most events the UFC ever had in one year. Prelims were not televised until 2009.

In 2008, you could have only watched roughly 100 fights live (20 events x 4 to 5 main card fights). If you were a hardcore fan, watching twenty events a year at 2-3 hours each was very manageable. If you only cared to watch Chuck, Tito, BJ, Forest and the like then you were rightfully labelled a casual.

You now have 40+ events a year with at least 12 fights per event. We're talking 500 fights a year. Most likely more. To say someone is a casual for not caring about some no names on the prelims is silly. If you only watch half the fights that will still be 2.5 times more than what the hardest hardcore fan would have watched in 2008.

In other words, the main card for UFC 261 is solid. The prelims outside of maybe 1-2 fights are garbage.

You have a point. I mean, it does come across like a justification for slipping from hard core status into a more casual fandom, but you do make a point.

embrace being a casual.

Once UFC has their training centers up an running in 3rd world countries.

You can expect them to have so many events that you can't watch every fight, Just like baseball.

Who cares about what you care about.

Last edited:
Back in the dark ages on some other forum, I mentioned that I did not care about Sengoku Raiden Championship. Some fool shot back explaining how I was Not A Real Fan. The rest is history.

Your not all bad...i just like fucking with your name here and there....

Hespetch for staying in the MMA forum world for so long lol

I think the term casual applies to those who jump on a bandwagon for their favorite guy, or someone that only watches freak shows like Lesnar vs. or Conor vs.

I think fan means someone who watches, or tries to watch what they can when available. I know guys who watch boxing, kickboxing, MMA (not just UFC) and they may not be able to watch every single fight but I would consider them more likely to be fans than casuals.

Did you watch the Askren vs. Paul guy? I didn't.

Casual isn't even insulting.

What sport does anyone watch and knows every player on every team and their family history? And sits to watch every event put on by the league and all bush leagues under it? To not be a 'casual' you have to have no life to watch that many hours of anything.

Or you know you can be a casual if you want... It's a hobby not our patriotic duty

I use to watch every single event and every single fight 10+ years ago. I cant be bothered with half the fights today yet I still watch more MMA today than I ever did.

Yehhhh, who ever watches all event prelims to main event is hard core as fkkkkk. I feel bad for you too. Must be no lifing this shit, go make something of ur self.

You have a point. I mean, it does come across like a justification for slipping from hard core status into a more casual fandom, but you do make a point.

I actually watch more MMA now than I ever did. By far. But I watch a smaller percentage of what's available now compare to then. If the UFC put on over 100 events a year, I would watch an even smaller percentage but most likely the same amount of fights as I do now.

I only watch fights that I put money on and/or find interesting. Anything else is just oversaturation and the UFC being straight up greedy. I have a job and a family to tend to, and I cant watch every fight from every single event. Plus, prelims are largley just filler fights, that whole idea that prelim fights are the best because that is where up and coming fighters want to make an impression, is largely a myth in MMA, as well as in boxing. Most of those guys are there because the UFC needs to fullfill some quota to get some more money from ESPN and will never amount to anything.

Prelims are often the best fights of the night. Up and comers trying to make an impression.

But if I literally don't know who they are, I'm not invested. Most of these guys won't ever be ranked during their entire UFC tenure. Then they'll get cut.

Why should I care about Molsov Venkovic v. Mitch Jacobs or Duane Ramirez v. Patty McDonnell?

Now some of these guys will break through and be legit contenders. I'll jump on the bandwagon then. Until then, there's no need for me to slog thru endless no name prelims just to see that one fighter that may end up being ranked one day.

But if I literally don't know who they are, I'm not invested. Most of these guys won't ever be ranked during their entire UFC tenure. Then they'll get cut.

Why should I care about Molsov Venkovic v. Mitch Jacobs or Duane Ramirez v. Patty McDonnell?

Now some of these guys will break through and be legit contenders. I'll jump on the bandwagon then. Until then, there's no need for me to slog thru endless no name prelims just to see that one fighter that may end up being ranked one day.
Username checks out.

Because these guys might be getting paid 10k to show and 10k to win, with bonuses around 50k they are trying to be exciting, so they are worth watching in my opinion.
Like 70% of fighters on the prelims will never go anywhere or be heard from again. They are basically Tachi fights or worse. Why should anyone care about low level MMA? Can any NFL fans on here tell you who the best running backs are in arena football?
Like 70% of fighters on the prelims will never go anywhere or be heard from again. They are basically Tachi fights or worse. Why should anyone care about low level MMA? Can any NFL fans on here tell you who the best running backs are in arena football?
Why would NFL fans care about arena football? A football fan might care about both. People definitely care about college sports. And all of those thing have a fanbase including UFC prelims. So what's your point?

Back