Not Cain, not JDS, not Gus, but this guy..

If jones can out wrestle Cormier, then he can definitely out wrestle Weidman. Jones 49-46 UD.

I think so too, in fact I could see Jones implementing a very similar gameplan where he allows himself to be clinched on the fence or clinches himself, puts his head down/leans on Chris and works his body to tire him out.

Chris is a very big MW, but regardless of his actual weight Jones is just huge. He reminds me of Paul Williams, a boxer who was big maybe 5 years back, he was a freak with hollow bones and had a big reach advantage in most every fight he had. I think Jones and Weidman may be comparable in skill level, but conventional wisdom is that a good big man beats a good smaller man, and I see Weidman/Jones bearing that out.

I'd watch though, I'd love to see that fight and I applaud Chris for his ballsiness saying he'd do it.

I don't see it..sorry. I think that JOnes would beat Weidman pretty easily.

saying Weidman can beat Jones because he went 5 rounds with machida doesn't help your case at all. Machida didnt offer anything for Jones but did come on against Weidman at times.

You can stop talking now.

I'd love to see him pull it off, but Weidman would gas worse than Cormier.

Weidman has Vitor,Jacare, and Rockhold all deserving a shot. I'd hate to see his division put on hold.

DC slowed down due in large part to Jones body shots. DC admitted that an early one really damaged him and every subsequent one sapped him more and more.

The Chris' cardio is good, against Machida it was the bodyshots in the last 2 rounds that slowed him down in the 4th and parts of the fifth.

I think Chris could be competitive with Jones but I don't like his chances in a chess match or a war against Jones.

Weidman has alot on his plate as it is Vitor, Rockhold/Lyoto II, Romero/Jacare, CM Punk(I kid).

saying Weidman can beat Jones because he went 5 rounds with machida doesn't help your case at all. Machida didnt offer anything for Jones but did come on against Weidman at times.

Machida was the first one to take a round from Jones. He got caught and finished in the 2nd but lets ignore the fact that he was taking that fight on a 2-3 week notice.

Weidman's camp would have a solid plan for Jones, that much would be guaranteed.

What's interesting is that Weidman already offered to fight Jones in the past. He would make 205 easier than he does 185.

I think so too, in fact I could see Jones implementing a very similar gameplan where he allows himself to be clinched on the fence or clinches himself, puts his head down/leans on Chris and works his body to tire him out.

Chris is a very big MW, but regardless of his actual weight Jones is just huge. He reminds me of Paul Williams, a boxer who was big maybe 5 years back, he was a freak with hollow bones and had a big reach advantage in most every fight he had. I think Jones and Weidman may be comparable in skill level, but conventional wisdom is that a good big man beats a good smaller man, and I see Weidman/Jones bearing that out.

I'd watch though, I'd love to see that fight and I applaud Chris for his ballsiness saying he'd do it.

The thing is, weidman is taller than and has a much longer reach than cormier. He wouldn't get bullied the way dc was against the fence, and we've see how dangerous he can be as a striker from the clinch.

UFC168-ChrisWeidmanXAndersonSilva-Rd1-SloMo1a-400-sg.gif

The Chris is a tough son of a bitch. I would watch the fight, root for Weidman, but not bet against Jones.

Machida was the first one to take a round from Jones. He got caught and finished in the 2nd but lets ignore the fact that he was taking that fight on a 2-3 week notice.

2 of the 3 judges gave Jones the first round against Machida. Both of them landed a total of 8 strikes in that round. Once Jones stopped kicking and let his hands go, he rocked Machida, took him down for elbows and it was all over before the round ended.

Last night solidified the notion for me that only a guy who is JJ's size (or close) stands a chance. That's why Gus did fairly well. Weidman is very undersized compared to JJ.

Weidman is 6'2" with a 78" reach. That's not insignificant at LHW. Rampage is 6'1" with a 73" reach. Machida is 6'1" with a 74" reach.

Size wise he could be bulkier, but his frame is great for LHW.

He should stay at MW because he's got plenty to challenge him there.

The Chris is ultra elite but he overpowers and outgrapples people at 185 like Jones does at 205. If Weidman got on roids it would be a great fight, but otherwise Weidman would have to pull it off almost entirely with striking.

Weidman does have something that DC somewhat lacks though, which is pure unadulterated power. He has taken to boxing well and hits incredibly hard. DC while defensively quite decent, lacks stopping power.

Compared to who Jones has fought, Weidman is actually big. He's 6'2 and his reach is 78 inches. Gus is 79. A 6.5 inch Reach advantage is a much smaller gap than Jones is used to.

Shogun 76
Glover 76
Rashad 74
Lyoto 74
Bader 74
Vitor 74
Rampage 73
DC 72.5

Gus already beat Jones and will again. The Chris would beat Jones too.

I think Jones would kill Weidman.

Back