Not another Gracie thread.... (Warning: n00b post!)

the only thing i have with GTR is that people seem to take it as some kind of bible and make argument's based on the experiences of an amateur bloger (at the time). I am sure while his intentions were the only the best, to take on person's momentary experiences as fact (as alot of people online do) is flawed.

This isn't really true for Gracie Barra. Any official GB school should be teaching quite a bit of self-defense in the fundamentals portion of the curriculum. All new students are required to go through this until they get their third stripe on their white belt. Students are also encouraged to go back to the fundamentals classes from time to time to keep those skills sharp.

That said, once you start training in the advanced classes the focus definitely shifts to more sport oriented training.

Interesting, didn't know that.

the only thing i have with GTR is that people seem to take it as some kind of bible and make argument's based on the experiences of an amateur bloger (at the time). I am sure while his intentions were the only the best, to take on person's momentary experiences as fact (as alot of people online do) is flawed.

I don't think anyone here is dumb enough to take GTR as "fact." It's just an incredibly detailed and interesting documentary blog about training in Brazil. You can learn a lot from reading it, but no one said it was Divine Gospel.

Well I trained at a Gracie Barra but my teacher was a very casual guy, an old-school bjj guy with a glimmer in his eye and who had been through many street fights in his life, so he taught us not only self defense and sports BJJ, but we would have occasionally MMA-slapfights without gloves just to keep us sharp.

When that first slap hits your face your blood boils and it`s very easy to forget your trianing and just go berserk and that`s when you get f`d in the a.

Ah... I miss those days. One of the most fun days I remember from training at GB was when the teacher, out of fun at the end of class, decided to teach Rickson`s superman move... he could do it, cause he was short ( like 1,67m or 5`7) but most of us almost broke our necks! :D

However, I think self-defense BJJ will dwindle out within 30 years.

However, I think self-defense BJJ will dwindle out within 30 years.

As it should! In a world of knives, guns and lawsuits, taking the time to teach people hand to hand self defense is about as pragmatic as teaching people Morse code.

It is an excellent read.

Why not?

Have you read the Medhi chapter on GTR?

I have read the Medhi Chapter and you could feel the love between Judo and Jiu Jitsu :wink:

As far as "The Origins of Jiu-Jitsu: The Father of All Fights" goes there is a lot of crap in there.
First is was revised by Reyson Gracie.
Second, if anyone believes the paragraghs about the Fake Jiu Jitsu and believes it has to be drinking the Kool aid.

From the report

Fake Jiu-jitsu

The small Japanese, with their knowledge of jiu-jitsu, had the conditions to defeat the bigger, and stronger foreigners. However, at this very moment, jiu-jitsu, which had been the technical superiority of the Japanese, vanished from view.

The curiosity of the foreigner to learn the famous system of fight came to be a major problem for the sons of the land of the rising sun. The Japanese government decided to create a bogus style of jiu-jitsu for external use, without efficiency for real fights. An employee in the Ministry of Culture who was also a jiu-jitsu teacher, was chosen to create a fake jiu-jitsu for "the English to see" (para ingl

Last edited:

+1
Just don't read with your blinders on.

Has anyone read Renzo's Mastering Jujitsu book? That book dedicates 40-50 pages on the history of Jujitsu and discusses its transformation from Japanese juitsu to Judo to Brazilian jui Jitsu. I think it is a great read (so far I'm only 50 pages in) and is not just a pictorial of "how to do a kimura" like so many books out there.

Has anyone read Renzo's Mastering Jujitsu book? That book dedicates 40-50 pages on the history of Jujitsu and discusses its transformation from Japanese juitsu to Judo to Brazilian jui Jitsu. I think it is a great read (so far I'm only 50 pages in) and is not just a pictorial of "how to do a kimura" like so many books out there.

I have it. I think the history portion is actually pretty good. Very different from the history of GTR, and more accurate. It talks a lot more about Koma and the details of his travels around the world fighting people of different styles. It also doesn't neglect the existence of other grappling arts. It's heavy in history and theory. The technical aspect is very basic. Great for beginners in BJJ.

Back