Social Norway the perfect prison!?!

What is the recidivism rate in Norway?

you should be punished at a prison not pampered like you're at a country club . Rapists, murderers the worst of the worst running around unsupervised having a good ol time..... pathetic

What if I told you their recidivism rate was 25% of ours?

Send people to gladiator training schools, and you shouldn't be surprised when they act like violent criminals when they get out.

To my gut, I really don't like it. Because emotionally I want a rapist/murderer/violent assaulter, etc to be punished and not live better than I did my 4 years in college

But the American prison system isn't working. It's making career criminals out of the majority who enter, so I'm trying to keep an open mind to alternatives and this seems to at least be an option with better statistics of a person doing their time and then being a productive citizen upon release.

Something like this for non violent felonies (drugs, non armed robbery) would be a good thing in America I feel. We're Def not ready to try and overhaul our whole prison system with something as cushy as this

What if I told you their recidivism rate was 25% of ours?

Send people to gladiator training schools, and you shouldn't be surprised when they act like violent criminals when they get out.
no gladiator school but no country club either.

Some Cliffs....
Inmates and officers hang out together play board games together etc
No handuffs in the prison unless an emergency
Inmates have small fridges in their cell ,small flat screen TV's
The prison has a supermarket and a huge music room with guitars a drum set etc etc

Pretty cool but yet ridiculous

Discuss ...

Crime rates in the USA would soar if we did this.

Norway is.

The terrorist who killed like 73 people is in one of those "prisons" as we speak.

Breivik is in isolation, not having any human contact other than with members of the staff. He hasn't had a visitor other than his lawyer and his priest since 2013.

Breivik is in isolation, not having any human contact other than with members of the staff. He hasn't had a visitor other than his lawyer and his priest since 2013.

So? What are his living quarters like? You're seriously gonna argue he's paying for his crimes?

So? What are his living quarters like? You're seriously gonna argue he's paying for his crimes?

I'm explaining that the prison and his circumstances aren't like the video, which is the natural assumption of your post given the topic of the thread. Of course he's paying for his crimes, if he didn't he'd be a free man. A discussion around that is obviously a matter of degrees, not absolutes. It's also not very fruitful if based on emotion.

I'm saying that the prison and his circumstances aren't like the video, which is the natural assumption of your post given the topic of the thread. Of course he's paying for his crimes, if he didn't he'd be a free man. A discussion around that is obviously a matter of degrees, not absolutes. It's also not very fruitful if based on emotion.

He killed 70+ people and his punishment is living in a hotel room for 20 years or so. Oh' yeah, he's got it rough.

Feel free to think it's a just punishment for what he did though. I can't change your mind. If you're cool with lenient punishments for mass murderers, that's that.

He killed 70+ people and his punishment is living in a hotel room for 20 years or so. Oh' yeah, he's got it rough.

Feel free to think it's a just punishment for what he did though. I can't change your mind. If you're cool with lenient punishments for mass murderers, that's that.

I haven't said anything about what I think about his punishment, or how to deal with crime in general. Statements of facts and statements of opinion aren't the same things. That he's living in isolation and that he's paying for his crimes are facts and do not touch on the subjective opinion on whether severity of his punishment is sufficient.

Norway's system is interesting given the results they've produced, but I don't have any strong opinions on it either way as I haven't read up on it on more than a superficial level.

The worst of the worst prisoners from around the world, planet and Galaxy should be sent to this prison because you know justice, rehabilitation and all that. Plus with good behavior you can get out in like 15-20 sweet!

That is what prison should be. Murderers/rapists/child molesters should just be put to death.

Some Cliffs....
Inmates and officers hang out together play board games together etc
No handuffs in the prison unless an emergency
Inmates have small fridges in their cell ,small flat screen TV's
The prison has a supermarket and a huge music room with guitars a drum set etc etc

Pretty cool but yet ridiculous

Discuss ...

do they get free wifi?

LOL,let's find out.
d564a8e5d2b3d96a62a4858033355813.png

To my gut, I really don't like it. Because emotionally I want a rapist/murderer/violent assaulter, etc to be punished and not live better than I did my 4 years in college

But the American prison system isn't working. It's making career criminals out of the majority who enter, so I'm trying to keep an open mind to alternatives and this seems to at least be an option with better statistics of a person doing their time and then being a productive citizen upon release.

Something like this for non violent felonies (drugs, non armed robbery) would be a good thing in America I feel. We're Def not ready to try and overhaul our whole prison system with something as cushy as this
This is an example of a mature mindset. Respect to you.

I know exactly how you feel. It can be very hard to seperate your emotions from your logic. I feel the same. I want criminals to pay, but in the end, the reason why we create rules to improve our well being as a society is exactly because our emotions can work against us. What does personal vendetta matter if the price we pay is more violence and victims? We need something to strive for that is better than ourselves.

All the literature shows the same thing. Rehabilitation, and especially preventive measures, is far more efficient at reducing crime than punishment.

Depends on how you look at it. For rehabilitation, it might very well be a great model. For punishment? Not the greatest.

I'm a "prison is for punishment" guy, so I think it's terrible, but I can see the other side of the argument as well.

Why do you think we punish people for crimes?

Back