International Northern countries will benefit from mild global warming. Russia, Canada, etc

I don't want to sound any alarm bells.
But it does seem like a strange coincidence that Germany imports millions of African footsoldiers.
At the same time as the way to moscow warms up.

<DC-Champ>

i hope russia exterminates germany. once and for all end the german scourge.

seriously though theres a very good reason why the powers that want all those muslims in germany and its the exact same reason why russia has held onto the northern Caucasus.

Last edited:
greenland may look big on a map but in reality is quite small.

Simple answer is political and economic reality dictates a short-sighted approach. The majority want better environmental performance but don't want to sacrifice the prosperity that goes with it, sadly. Plus, support varies regionally. It's hard to obtain a national consensus.

I know the feeling.

You, @Hunter Simpson and @Wet Blanket have explaining to do.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...rsuing-devastating-policies-new-study-reveals

China, Russia and Canada’s current climate policies would drive the world above a catastrophic 5C of warming by the end of the century, according to a study that ranks the climate goals of different countries.

The study, published in the journal Nature Communications, assesses the relationship between each nation’s ambition to cut emissions and the temperature rise that would result if the world followed their example.

The aim of the paper is to inform climate negotiators as they begin a two-year process of ratcheting up climate commitments, which currently fall far short of the 1.5-to-2C goal set in France three years ago.

It's pretty brutal seeing the resistance to climate change. Any minor inconvenience drives many a Canadian into a frothing rage when it comes to environmental issues.

Carbon taxes are a major point of focus for our politicians and a large group of Canadians don't want to acknowledge the environment is an issue.

It's pretty brutal seeing the resistance to climate change. Any minor inconvenience drives many a Canadian into a frothing rage when it comes to environmental issues.

Carbon taxes are a major point of focus for our politicians and a large group of Canadians don't want to acknowledge the environment is an issue.

I jokingly tagged you and @Hunter Simpson but it's a serious thing and moral dilemma of sorts even for me despite arguing with people over the validity of climate change and presenting scientific data. The thing with the shale energy boom in the US is that it isn't merely resulting in upward predistribution into the hands of a few.

The legislature of my home state is elected by and actually largely carries out the will of the people. There have been several sovereign wealth and education trust funds established - now all into multiple billions - that have created a lot of socioeconomic benefits for the public at large and been a boon to quality of life. It just ranked 1st in the country on a 2018 US News study. It's mini-Norway. A lot of it has to do with oil wealth.

I jokingly tagged you and @Hunter Simpson but it's a serious thing and moral dilemma of sorts even for me despite arguing with people over the validity of climate change and presenting scientific data. The thing with the shale energy boom in the US is that it isn't merely resulting in upward predistribution into the hands of a few.

The legislature of my home state is elected by and actually largely carries out the will of the people. There have been several sovereign wealth and education trust funds established - now all into multiple billions - that have created a lot of socioeconomic benefits for the public at large and been a boon to quality of life. It just ranked 1st in the country on a 2018 US News study. It's mini-Norway. A lot of it has to do with oil wealth.
Alberta was the same way but they failed to plan ahead at all.

This is something that totally bums me out because it's so shockingly obvious to me yet it never seems to occur to the people victimized by it:

Whether it's an oil patch, coal mine, whatever sort of extracted resource it may be, everyone knows it will eventually run out, and further, that over the course of the life of that resource, there will be ups and downs in productivity (for whatever huge number of reasons) and in all these cases, the workers, and the entire local economy that rides on their backs, get left to piss in the wind every time.

In Alberta in particular, they had decades of prosperity, socked away billions, but did anyone at anytime set up a group to plan ahead for retraining programs, funding for laid off employees, or any other type of disaster preparedness? Fuck no. When times get tough the tough get going... back to Newfoundland. I think it's shameful. The same could be said for out of work coal miners in the US. I could be wrong, but it seems to me a good coal mine can go for generations. Everyone waves their hands and says they can't interfere in what a private company does. Really? Seems quite selective to me.

Alberta was the same way but they failed to plan ahead at all.

This is something that totally bums me out because it's so shockingly obvious to me yet it never seems to occur to the people victimized by it:

Whether it's an oil patch, coal mine, whatever sort of extracted resource it may be, everyone knows it will eventually run out, and further, that over the course of the life of that resource, there will be ups and downs in productivity (for whatever huge number of reasons) and in all these cases, the workers, and the entire local economy that rides on their backs, get left to piss in the wind every time.

In Alberta in particular, they had decades of prosperity, socked away billions, but did anyone at anytime set up a group to plan ahead for retraining programs, funding for laid off employees, or any other type of disaster preparedness? Fuck no. When times get tough the tough get going... back to Newfoundland. I think it's shameful. The same could be said for out of work coal miners in the US. I could be wrong, but it seems to me a good coal mine can go for generations. Everyone waves their hands and says they can't interfere in what a private company does. Really? Seems quite selective to me.

I'm pretty sure this is what a great post looks like.

1b793463c5954bf18b1672183c61008b.jpg

Africa stay losing. :-/

Africa stay losing. :-/
What do you mean "stay losing"? Several African countries were winning until people decided to get rid of competent management.

I hope the ice over Antarctica melts..

people will starve to death before any mass movement. I cant see china or russia opening themselves up. Things would get bad. Africa would become a giant desert and southern india along with almost all of africa would become too hot to live in too hot to grow things mass desert.

Russia and canada have the most legitimate claims to most of the arctic. Russia´s claim of the basin is also legitimate. The americans though you can be sure are going to try super hard to try and convince canada to go against its own best interests in terms of range of extended claims. Canadians have valid claims to a larger share then what meets the eye.

Russian-claimed-territory-in-Arctic-Ocean-2008.jpg

they do only to an extent like the links talk about. I mean i guess it would be a while until massive amounts of land are lost to rising sea. They do take steps to lower emissions and have since the soviet days they know pollution is bad. But yes there are those including Putin who say the human toll is overstated.

I wonder to if Xi is same way and is only paying lip service to his ´fight´against it. The US i think had valid concerns when they said that so many powers are exempt from the same standards they have until a certain year.

Does it matter? Looking at that map, Canada, Denmark & the US can just band together and make trade routes pass from Alaska or the Nunavut all the way to Scandinavian countries or directly to western Europe, shutting Russia out completely. Nothing important goes in Russia's direction anyway that couldn't be off-loaded in a Norwegian port.

Back