International North Pole has pools of water in it

When shit starts hitting the fan, who do you think will be hit worse? Those in charge, or everyday people?

Does it really make sense to base your concern on the behavior of those who will be able to escape the effects?
100% it makes sense. I don't want to eat crickets so the elite can have steak. All or none on the rules. Yes there is climate change and we need to act, but the peasants don't need to take the lead and oversompensate while the elites eat wagu beef. Vote them out.

This illustrates the problem with the climate change discussion.
In 2016, we were all being warned that the North Pole might not exist by 2018. Now, in 2022, we're being told to panic about pools of water forming there.

Climate change alarmists undermine their position by only being able to make hysterical predictions that are far in excess of what reality will ever deliver, and they do this while using children and celebrities as their mascots.... and then they somehow wonder why so many people turn a deaf ear to them.

I'm not saying that the climate is a non-issue - I've very limited knowledge on the topic. But if it's as serious as some claim, then why do they feel the need to jump to exaggeration and apocalypse fetishism to make their case?

Yep. We’re selling out the future generations. The wealthy are doing it to remain wealthy. The rest are doing it because they’re too proud to admit they were wrong. They think being wrong about anything means you’re wrong about everything. Which is why they’re so susceptible to demagoguery. Demagogues always portray themselves as infallible.

Unless you're living in a cabin in the woods living off grid with little or no carbon emissions, you're contributing to it as well.

Its all well and good to blame big corporations while enjoying the lifestyle that those companies help provide. Besides, China is the issue when it comes to pollution

This illustrates the problem with the climate change discussion.
In 2016, we were all being warned that the North Pole might not exist by 2018. Now, in 2022, we're being told to panic about pools of water forming there.

Climate change alarmists undermine their position by only being able to make hysterical predictions that are far in excess of what reality will ever deliver, and they do this while using children and celebrities as their mascots.... and then they somehow wonder why so many people turn a deaf ear to them.

I'm not saying that the climate is a non-issue - I've very limited knowledge on the topic. But if it's as serious as some claim, then why do they feel the need to jump to exaggeration and apocalypse fetishism to make their case?

Bro this goes back 40+ years at least. They were claiming in the 80's that by 2000 we would already be underwater

I honestly don't know how this climate change and global warming stuff became a left and right thing. We probably will be dead before this becomes an issue.
I don't know how old you are, but unless you're elderly you'll get the live through enough to see where it's headed.

d9f2fa30-7148-4a91-a479-342853349395_1920x1080.jpg

The ten hottest years on record have been within the last 12 years and 2022 is on pace to become another top ten. In addition, models are projecting that between 2022 and 2026 we will likely get the hottest year ever on record. There will always be fluctuations, but the trend is not...great. We're already at a 1 degree increase in global temperature in the last 40 years. A global increase of 3 degrees is what took us out of the ice age last time, so I can't imagine it'll be that comfortable to see a continued increase when it's already warm.

temp-2020_comparison-plot.jpg

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/temp-2020_comparison-plot.jpg

Outside of the global increase, I think the most jarring thing will be more frequent instances of extreme weather. It's not all bad though, some places will become more fertile and seeing that we are in an inter-glacial period the warming will happen a little slower, but if the trend continues the long term consequences within the next hundred years could be pretty devastating. The real iffy thing will be ice melting and immigration influx. Anyway, you'll get to experience some of it for sure. I mean, we already are with these insane heat waves in the last decade.

If the elites came out and vowed to destroy all their private planes, limit home sizes and truly practice what they preach I think there could be some hope. With so many climate hypocrites and a ever growing wealth gap, not too mention other global powers who don’t care (China, Russia, etc…) we are fucked as a species.

<WellThere><WellThere>

I don't know how old you are, but unless you're elderly you'll get the live through enough to see where it's headed.

d9f2fa30-7148-4a91-a479-342853349395_1920x1080.jpg

The ten hottest years on record have been within the last 12 years and 2022 is on pace to become another top ten. In addition, models are projecting that between 2022 and 2026 we will likely get the hottest year ever on record. There will always be fluctuations, but the trend is not...great. We're already at a 1 degree increase in global temperature in the last 40 years. A global increase of 3 degrees is what took us out of the ice age last time, so I can't imagine it'll be that comfortable to see a continued increase when it's already warm.

temp-2020_comparison-plot.jpg

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/temp-2020_comparison-plot.jpg

Outside of the global increase, I think the most jarring thing will be more frequent instances of extreme weather. It's not all bad though, some places will become more fertile and seeing that we are in an inter-glacial period the warming will happen a little slower, but if the trend continues the long term consequences within the next hundred years could be pretty devastating. The real iffy thing will be ice melting and immigration influx. Anyway, you'll get to experience some of it for sure. I mean, we already are with these insane heat waves in the last decade.

i cant find a decent map of predictions for climate change by area. are you aware anything like that i could reference? selfishly im hoping my area might actually benefit from it lol.

i cant find a decent map of predictions for climate change by area. are you aware anything like that i could reference? selfishly im hoping my area might actually benefit from it lol.

Here's a tool you can use to see various different scenarios, but it can be a bit overwhelming with information overload based on all the different variables you can look at.

https://interactive-atlas.ipcc.ch/

Back