Noobie Needing Help on Weekly Routine

Norcalbowhunter

White Belt
Reaction score
Okay so I am new to this whole MMA thing so I am taking a random shot in the dark here but I hope I hit somewhere near the mark on this one. This is my weekly workout hoping to condition that I have came up with. My goals are to build a better body, tone my body, condition myself and get in shape enough to fight in a MMA match.

Monday, Wednesday and Friday will consist of running in the morning for 4 miles. After a bit of a rest I will lift weights.

Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday will consist of running in the morning for 4 miles. Then after resting I will do a circuit and quickly move over to doing a workout on the heavy bag.

I beg of you guys to tear this apart. Let me know how I can improve this, what I am doing wrong, what I need to be doing and so on. Remember I am new to this, before I just lifted weights and ran. Now how ever I wish to condition myself to fight and I hope this is not to far off of that goal.

This is my weight lifting routine

Upper Body

Chest

Barbell Bench Press 12 reps 100 pounds
Barbell Bench Press 10 reps 120 pounds
Barbell Bench Press 8 reps 140 pounds
Barbell Bench Press 6 reps 160 pounds
Barbell Bench Press 12 reps 100 pounds
Dumbbell Flyes 12 reps at 50 pounds

Shoulders

Seated Dumbbell Press 12 reps at 20 pounds
Seated Dumbbell Press 10 reps at 25 pounds
Seated Dumbbell Press 8 reps at 30 pounds
Seated Dumbbell Press 6 reps at 35 pounds
Seated Dumbbell Press 12 reps at 20 pounds
Military Press Press 12 reps at 30 pounds

Back

Reverse Grip Pull down 12 reps at 100 pounds
Reverse Grip Pull down 10 reps at 140 pounds
Reverse Grip Pull down 8 reps at 180 pounds
Reverse Grip Pull down 6 reps at 200 pounds
Reverse Grip Pull down 12 reps at 100 pounds
One Arm Dumbbell Row 12 reps at 70 pounds

Triceps

Dumbbell Extensions 12 reps at 30 pounds
Dumbbell Extensions 10 reps at 35 pounds
Dumbbell Extensions 8 reps at 40 pounds
Dumbbell Extensions 6 reps at 45 pounds
Dumbbell Extensions 12 reps at 30 pounds
Push Down 12 reps at 30 pounds

Biceps

Standing Barbell Curl 12 reps at 35 pounds
Standing Barbell Curl 10 reps at 40 pounds
Standing Barbell Curl 8 reps at 45 pounds
Standing Barbell Curl 6 reps at 50 pounds
Standing Barbell Curl 12 reps at 35 pounds
Standing Dumbbell Curl 12 reps at 35 pounds

My Circuit consists of 4 stations that will run for 5 minutes each, within them I have a set number of task I will preform when finished I will go back to the start and do them again. The goal is to do as many of these as I can before the 5 minutes are up. I will switch between stations without rest till I have completed all 4. Then I will rest 1 minute and do the stations again for a total of 3 sets.

Station One

Well first off, if you want to compete in MMA matches you should worry less about your appearance and focus on your performance as well as making weight.

I don't know about your conditioning routine but your "strength" routine is terrible. It's a bodybuildingish routine which is not what you want for MMA. Read the strength FAQ... then read it again. Choose a lifting routine from it. When you're done with that read the conditioning FAQ.

Only 60 reps of curls?

Why switch to db's for last set?

Double the curlz and in no time your be a machine!

Do you even do skill training? BJJ, Muay Thai, boxing, wrestling, etc. because I don't see that in your schedule.

Read the sticky threads at the top of this forum.

Couple points to help you on your way.

#1. If your not used to working out 6 days a week you are going to maybe make it 1 week and then crash and burn feeling like a failure. Set yourself up for success, start with 3 days and a simple Strength program to get you started like Starting Strength.

#2. If you are not used to running 4 miles a day your going to get shin splints and quit after a week, see point #1. While doing Starting Strength your cardio should be kept to a max 2 days a week in my opinion, with those 2 sessions being HIIT based training, perhaps doing hill sprints. Start slow with 10 hill sprints on a 2 minute interval and then slowly lower the time and lengthen the hill. No elite level athlete just woke up one day and started training the way they do, they got into it gradually, if you take on to much to quickly you will fail quickly and feel like a failure, set yourself up for success.

Try this for your weighligting routine...

Day 1
3x5 Squat
3x5 Bench
3x5 Bent Over Row

Day 2
3x5 Overhead Press
3x5 Deadlift
3 sets pullups/chin ups

Then alternate day 1 and 2... So week one would be 1/2/1 on mon/wed/fri, and week two would be 2/1/2, and so forth.

Also, read the strong&power faq.

Okay I will admit my workout is a body builder workout. For the last few years I have been using that workout to build muscle mass, however recently I have gotten a huge desire to fight and do MMA so I was unsure if my current workout would fit and now I can see that it won't.

@edco76 the idea, as far as body building goes, is you stress your muscles with one set of work outs, then switch over to a lighter weight more reps of a different type of workout so you stress the muscles more. Cause them to become bigger, faster. However I am no longer concerned with building mass, I want to fight MMA.

@Barbarian I am new to the MMA scene. However I have for quite some time been lifting weights and running 4 miles a day. In fact aside from the circuit which I complete just made up last night, I have been doing everything I posted for the better half of 3-4 years now.

@DrBdan No I do not do any form of martial arts. The only close gym that teaches MMA is in another town and currently I do not have reliable enough transportation to get me there, so for the time being it will only be boxing.

@YetiFeet and deckingdutchman I went over the sticky, I may have missed exactly what you mean since it didn't really give me an idea as to what I want to do. Also thanks for the suggestion deckingdutchman, I will drop my body builder routine and do that one instead until I can find something more solid to go off of :D

Not to harsh on you man but if you have been lifting for 3-4 years and are only Benching 160 for 6 you need more help than even the S&P can offer, unless you weight like 100 lbs and then we can probably let it slide?

Not to harsh on you man but if you have been lifting for 3-4 years and are only Benching 160 for 6 you need more help than even the S&P can offer, unless you weight like 100 lbs and then we can probably let it slide?

No that's not harsh at all. I never wanted to look like the hulk, I just wanted to build muscle till I was happy, problem is I had a bad diet, so I still have a good % of body fat. I would like to tone up, so I can actually see my muscles. If I got into MMA I would like to fight as a heavy weight, so there will need to be a balance of building muscle, fat, and conditioning myself. I just have no idea how to find that balance....

At the moment I am happy with my chest, arms and legs, I just have this bulge around my mid section that likes to cover up my abs. Also I weigh 230 pounds. I didn't put up my lower body workout either, I can squat well over 500 pounds and do calf raises of 230 plus pounds. Needless to say most of my muscle mass is in my legs.

However that's the old me, the new me has a burning desire to fight MMA and is determined beyond everything to achieve that goal!

Well you seem pretty open-minded and enthusiastic about this so let me just say that you've done yourself a huge favor by coming here and asking questiions. With that said, you should prepare yourself for the shock of discovering how most the preconceptions you've held regarding strength training, nutrition, and (to a lesser extent) conditioning were flat out wrong.

Start with the FAQ in this forum and D&S and best of luck to ya.

Squat 500 Bench 160x6, I don't know what to say.

Given his 'bodybuilding' background, it's pretty safe to assume that he means he can either quarter squat 500 lbs on the shirley machine or leg press 500 lbs. We all started somewhere.

Either that or he's built like a T-Rex

Well you seem pretty open-minded and enthusiastic about this so let me just say that you've done yourself a huge favor by coming here and asking questiions. With that said, you should prepare yourself for the shock of discovering how most the preconceptions you've held regarding strength training, nutrition, and (to a lesser extent) conditioning were flat out wrong.

Start with the FAQ in this forum and D&S and best of luck to ya.

Actually it would not surprise me much at how wrong I am. Simply put I was a fat kid in my earlier life, I consider it to be my earlier life even though I am 22 because I was a totally different person then and now. However I hated life, I was always depressed, and one day walking home I found a book called "Body for Life" Literally laying on the side of the road.

I read it and followed the book to the T. After a year I became happy with my body (even though I haven't been able to get rid of this damn beer belly!) and decided I needed no more body building, however I did continue to work out at the same level so I maintain my muscles.

I live in a small town, our one and only gym has no trainers. You are literally told when you ask about trainers that you are on your own. I have had no nutritional people help me, nothing. So most of what I have decided worked for me, was stuff I just came up with as I went along.

So I would assume that most of what I know is complete wrong from what is the right way of doing stuff. But as you said, that is why I am here. I want to know and I want to move forward in life. One day I just got tired of going to work and coming home. I have always had a heavy bag and enjoy working out on it, and I have always loved fighting. Honestly till a few months ago I have never watched the UFC but as soon as I did I knew what my calling in life was, even if its just a hobby that I do during my free time, I want to get into MMA :D

So I thank all of you for the kind words, and I will read over the Sticky's again. I guess I just didn't get "that" far into it because I didn't really see anything on working out, but I noticed going back there is some stuff at the end that pertains to what I am needing to learn.

If you're not doing any martial arts seriously then you will have no future in MMA. Strength won't do anything for you if you can't fight. Overheem isn't a decent fighter because he's strong as hell - he's damn good kickboxer and can use his strenght + size effectively. Before I started getting serious about lifting I was a 170ish lbs BJJ blue belt (fresh too) and could rape any schmo walking in for a class no matter how strong and big he was - start a serious martial art before you worry about being strong enough to fight

If you're not doing any martial arts seriously then you will have no future in MMA. Strength won't do anything for you if you can't fight. Overheem isn't a decent fighter because he's strong as hell - he's damn good kickboxer and can use his strenght + size effectively. Before I started getting serious about lifting I was a 170ish lbs BJJ blue belt (fresh too) and could rape any schmo walking in for a class no matter how strong and big he was - start a serious martial art before you worry about being strong enough to fight

While technique is obviously going to be the single most important factor in a fight, I wouldn't discourage him too much away from building a solid strength/conditioning/nutritional base. Obviously all aspects must be addressed and, since he's asking about it, learning about them can only be beneficial.

I understand that. As said though I have no gym here that offers MMA training. There is a place that offers jujitsu, do you think it would be a time investment for me to train in jujitsu? Until I can get a car that can take me to the next town over and I can start training in Muay Thai and Brazilian Jujitsu. However all I can train now in my town is Boxing, and maybe Jujitsu.

So currently I am trying to figure out what else I need to do, I know a large part of MMA is Martial Arts training. Though there are other aspects I can start to tackle now IE Eating right and training right to condition myself, until I can actually get to a point in my life where I can train in MMA. I don't expect this to happen over night, fact it may take me a good 5-10 years before I become a really great MMA fighter, but we all have to start somewhere.

Back