noob to martial arts (starting up)

Both m/t and boxing are great arts for fitness and self defence esp. when your m/t guy uses elbows/knees in clinch but you need a ground game too in case things get fuc*ed up and you end up on floor.For the weight training read Brawn by Stuart McRobert or similar persons or look on strength forums on Sherdog.As for Aikido, well for street application its about 1/10 unless you are highly skilled,it is practiced on yielding partners ,is too highly technical,relies upon the guy attacking you in an outdated way and would take far too long to master to be of any use in a street situation,whereas m/t or boxing in a few months you can up your self def. skills a lot more than would be possible in aikido.

no way muay thai teches complete boxing because of the kicks clinching and knees. you may learn all the boxing punches but the footwork is not going to be on the same level nor is the defense, conditioning for throwing & taking the punches. i'm not gonna say which i think is better anymore but you can't say muay thai is boxing + all this other stuff. they are completely different as far as punching goes.

Generally Boxers will beat Muay Thai fighters nearly everytime In all of the situations except one.
That situation is only when Low Kicks are aloud tthat is when the Muay Thaii fighter comes into his element and will beat the boxer!
Even if mid kicks and head were just aloud then I would still take the boxer because MT fighters would have to set up their one kick KO High kicks with, You guessed it punches and their going to lose in that department.

Things I would like to know and maybe people like T&B could answer this for me is: All the Pride Fighters e.g. Vanderlei, Shogun, Rizzo (ufc but fuck it), etc. Who are down as MT fighters, Do they Just soley train Muay Thai or do they also train in seperate Boxing training aswell as the boxing they get in their Muay thai??? If you understand that??
Becoz if they just soley train Muay Thai and get their punching ability from that then I see no real need to train Boxing!

Pro Killer said:
Generally Boxers will beat Muay Thai fighters nearly everytime In all of the situations except one.
That situation is only when Low Kicks are aloud tthat is when the Muay Thaii fighter comes into his element and will beat the boxer!
Even if mid kicks and head were just aloud then I would still take the boxer because MT fighters would have to set up their one kick KO High kicks with, You guessed it punches and their going to lose in that department.

Things I would like to know and maybe people like T&B could answer this for me is: All the Pride Fighters e.g. Vanderlei, Shogun, Rizzo (ufc but fuck it), etc. Who are down as MT fighters, Do they Just soley train Muay Thai or do they also train in seperate Boxing training aswell as the boxing they get in their Muay thai??? If you understand that??
Becoz if they just soley train Muay Thai and get their punching ability from that then I see no real need to train Boxing!

well the first part of your post I sort of agree with.....you cant nessasarily say that a good muay thai fighter would have to set up every kick with punches....if youre fighting a boxer who cant kick, and youre good at kicking overall, you can keep him at bay with teep kicks, and fluster him that way.....look at guys like Kaoklai Kannenorsing (sp?)...he hardly throws punches at all...and if he does, theyre just to mix it up and freak you out before he kicks you in the head.

kicking range is outside of boxing range....so if youre a powerful kicker, and use them right, a boxer isnt going to be afforded many opportunities to get cloes to you.

as to your question, Ive said before that a good, complete thai boxer cross trains in boxing, as it is beneficial to his sport. The better thai boxing gyms out there, Im quite sure, also have boxing trainers and regularly practice boxing techniques to supplement thier muay thai.

not to piss any boxers off, but from what Ive learned in training boxing and muay thai seperately is that aside from a lack of sharpness when it comes to boxing in pure muay thai, the biggest difference is that boxers can be allowed to be a bit more lazy with thier footwork....I do not mean that boxing's footwork sucks though, so dont start hating on me...

what I simply mean is that since in boxing you dont have to worry about getting kicked, especially in the legs, you can afford to sit more weight down on your legs, especially the front, and you can reach more with your punches, you can bob, weave and duck more, without the fear of getting caught.

Muay Thai traditionally forces you to leave less weight on your front leg, so you can pick it up at a moments notice if you need to, and you usually do!

it goes back to my original point that muay thai footwork would definitely be bad for boxing, as it doesnt let you put as much weight on your punches, and gives you less freedom of movement, but that also means that boxing footwork would be bad for muay thai.....and both boxing and muay thai footwork would be bad for MMA.....which is why you need to CROSS-TRAIN!

as far as not feeling you need to train in boxing, thats personal preference I suppose.....if a fighter doesnt train in boxing and makes the tools he has work for him, thats just fine, but I feel that I want to be as prepared as possible, because since MMA is such a game of adaptation, you need to be ready for what the other guy might throw at you. Although its been proven to be a really good fighter, regardless of your style, you have to have the will to win, no matter what.

Back