Noob Thread

thecas

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If I train MT 1x per week at one hour session each, on a scale of 1-10 in terms of competency, where will I be in one year?

I do mainly jiu jitsu for now. If you follow the above plan, in grappling you will only be 1.5 . But what about MT?

Coz as far as I know, it is even possible to get an instructor certificate with that time, for MT.

thecas said:
If I train MT 1x per week at one hour session each, on a scale of 1-10 in terms of competency, where will I be in one year?

I do mainly jiu jitsu for now. If you follow the above plan, in grappling you will only be 1.5 . But what about MT?

Coz as far as I know, it is even possible to get an instructor certificate with that time, for MT.

I think that is really hard to say. Some people find striking to come fairly naturally but IMO, I think unless you are a really quick learner, you will find it difficult to excel much even in a year at only 1 session per week. I train about 2-3 times per week for the last 2 months and feel like I should be farther along. I think repetition (going regularly) helps to instill technique and is hard to do at only 1 session per week. It's also important to spar so you can put your technique into actual use and learn even more.

Muay thai is about repetition until you master the fundamentals. You kind of need to get to the point where through repetition things become reflexive and you don't have to think before acting. And you have to have the conditioning so that your body can act upon those reflexes. 1 hour a week won't get you very far, in my opinion. You won't be getting in enough repetition and conditioning.

Full time pros in thailand train for about 3 hours 2 times a day. And they start at a very young age. Now that's an extreme comparison to make but it could also maybe give you some perspective of how competent you'll be relative to those fighters. Compared to those guys you would definitely be in a 1 or less than 1 range on a scale of 1 - 10.

thecas said:

There is no one-size-fits-all or magic bullet for determining this; it is utterly impossible to say for Muay Thai or any art how long you will need to develop a certain level of competancy. Some guys walk into the gym and from the word "Go!" train like they were born to it. Most take longer, some take much, much longer.

What you gain from training will depend on:

1) You, and how diligent you are in training
2) Your instructor, and his skill at coaching and conveying knowledge.

I would be inclined to assume that persuant to #1, you're lacking; 1 hour a week is not much at all. I agree with Rex insofar as you *must* master the basics to the point where they are instinctive and reflexive to be a better fighter later on down the road, and this involves lots of repetition, drilling, and constructive criticism of your technique under the knowing eye of a good instructor. An hour a week is a paltry investment in time to accomplish this.

I have a question that is similar to this, I found a place to start traning in MT but it is out of a persons house. Now to me this seems very weird. Not sure what I should do. Any imput would be nice.

I totally agree with the consensus here, one hour a week is definitely not enough to instill good technique. Is it possible for you to train a few more times a week? An hour a day for three days is decent, and that's the very minimum I'd settle for...but maybe you're a much faster learner than I.

Perhaps you can train once with your coach a week, and then do some practicing of your own another 1-2 days.

Eh..

I started going 2 times a week for a few weeks and then quickly relized I should being going more often.

I do 3 times a week now(MWF), 1 hour per session. But I show up a half hour early and condition and strech.

I am going to start 4 times a week (saturday morning class) after this month.

Tuesdays and thursdays I have work all day then have class. So those are out.

Would it be advisable to rest on sunday or do a hard conditioning session?

Repetion is the stuff. Like said above, some people can just walk in there and have everything down. I remember about 2 months into training a guy comes in, a noob. In two classes he had down the kick for the most part and just about everything they thought him. It took me a month and a half to learn a proper round house. They guy plays soccer all the time so that could help.

One thing that will help a lot is going home and working on your stance and basic punches every night that your not there. Doing that helped me learn my stance properly.

one time a week no way, you need to instill all this technique into your muscle memory, you need to learn and practice constantly in a way that you will learn to react unconciously.

Back