Noob question about BJJ but what are no leg, knee or ankle locks allowed ?

abhi

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Is there any real reason or just that's just the code ?

Wristlocks are legal in BJJ unless you are in the children's division

At white-belt? I was told otherwise by a purple-belt where I used to roll.

At white-belt? I was told otherwise by a purple-belt where I used to roll.

Technically IBJJF doesn't have white belt rules. The restrictions start at blue belt.

However, the blue/purple belt rules are typically extended to white belt divisions. Wrist locks are legal there.

However, the blue/purple belt rules are typically extended to white belt divisions. Wrist locks are legal there.

Perhaps he meant it as a suggestion or house rule then. I was told that wrist-locks, when applied by the unskillful, are dangerous because they have to be applied quickly making tapping someone safely with it nuanced in practice. I thought it was too bad, since I know a few wrist-locks from the JJJ I did when I was a kid.

Perhaps he meant it as a suggestion or house rule then. I was told that wrist-locks, when applied by the unskillful, are dangerous because they have to be applied quickly making tapping someone safely with it nuanced in practice. I thought it was too bad, since I know a few wrist-locks from the JJJ I did when I was a kid.

Yes. I also used to train at a place that didn't let white belts do wristlocks. It's an in-house rule some places have. But in IBJJF competitions adult white belts can do them.

Yes. I also used to train at a place that didn't let white belts do wristlocks. It's an in-house rule some places have. But in IBJJF competitions adult white belts can do them.

Nice. I'll remember that when I compete and can't finish an omoplata in the usual fashion.

Nice. I'll remember that when I compete and can't finish an omoplata in the usual fashion.

Yeah that's a good time to use a wristlock. Also when you have trouble finishing a triangle or can't break the grip to finish an armbar.

all those locks arnt allowed because a person who doesn't understand the full bio mechanics of it can destroy a joint of their opponent

ie twisting the leg just a smidge too far = a day in hospital due to a torn ACL etc then months of physio

Back