nOOb first day of training

Corky

White Belt
Reaction score
Im 37 5'10 165 and out of shape. Im finally sucking it up and going to start training tonight. This is the school ill be attending

http://www.ajjf.org/dojos/rja/default.htm?rja_dojo.htm~main

Anyways my biggest question is what to expect the first couple classes. Obviously im going to be wiped out cardio wise until i get in better shape. Started using a weighted rope to work on cardio as its snowing here and running is out of the question. Any other things i should be working on? any specific stretching i should be doing? Any other hints from any of you would be GREATLY appreceited

Corky

Just start training. That's my best recommendation.

i've lifted weights and played sports my entire life and i was in good shape when i started grappling ... let me tell you it didn't help me 1 bit on the matt its just completely different conditioning, the only thing that will help your cardio in grappling is doing a lot of grappling

That school is Dan Zan Ryu JJ, not BJJ, it's traditional Japanese JJ.

I have posted before that my BJJ school shares a building with a Dan Zan JJ school. I have never seen them doing any groundwork except armlock hold-downs from a throw. It will probably get you back in shape, but don't expect much, if any, ground sparring.

If you are into grappling, I suggest you find a BJJ school. You are in CA, they are literally everywhere. I'd say give the place a try tonight, but don't commit to anything. Then try a BJJ class before deciding. There really is a big difference.

There is a current thread about the differences of BJJ vs traditional JJ:
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?t=325454

Corky said:
Im 37 5'10 165 and out of shape. Im finally sucking it up and going to start training tonight. This is the school ill be attending

http://www.ajjf.org/dojos/rja/default.htm?rja_dojo.htm~main

Anyways my biggest question is what to expect the first couple classes. Obviously im going to be wiped out cardio wise until i get in better shape. Started using a weighted rope to work on cardio as its snowing here and running is out of the question. Any other things i should be working on? any specific stretching i should be doing? Any other hints from any of you would be GREATLY appreceited

Corky
im 5'11 200lbs
im pretty new to grappling as well. Alot of people told me just grapple the rest will take care of itself. WHICH IS VERY TRUE. but this is what i wish someone would have mentioned to me also.

be prepared to get hurt. (hopefully not injured) i noticed my body wasnt used to punishment AT ALL. so i would get hurt every day. But the most important thing is to really listen to your body to know when you are just hurting or when you might become injured if you keep going. becuase you're new alot of guys will push you. to see if you can show you have guts or the will to become a good grappler. but dont let them push you too far. i did that and now im injured for 2 weeks and its tourture. i want to get back out there and grapple some more.

youll get owned pretty bad in the begining but what will really help is make sure you ask EVERYTIME someone submits you or escapes you with a technique you are not familiar with, ask them , "how did you do that" or "what did you do" alot of guys love telling you what they did. and you will learn really fast that way.

roll will different people obiously. try to mix it up with guys that will smoke you (asking them how they did it) and guys that are on your level (new guys, like you, that you can practice what you learned).

those are some things that helped me out alot (and are still helping me out alot) since ive only been going for about a month and a half now.

That's in Sac-town, right? There's gotta be several solid bjj places there.

Ozurumba's advice about avoiding injury is right on -- safety should be your number one priority. Number two should be having fun. Number three should be learning. Number four should be doing well against your opponent -- that's far and away the least important as a beginner.

im gonna be completely honest, not to be an asshole, but to make sure you don't waste youre time. that place reeks of mcdojo-ness. among many other telltale signs of a mcdojo, none of the instructors have any credentials as far as competition on any level. all of their accomplishment are dumb bullshit promotions by other instructors with no competition credentials, and mindless dribble about how long they've been training and in what different arts, etc etc...basically, what im saying is that any martial art worth half a shit has an active competition scene where academies can test their skills against each other and keep everyone honest and in their place - boxing, muay thai, judo, brazilian jiu jitsu, sambo, wrestling, etc etc are some of the tried and true ma's that people in this forum practice and that have been proven to be effective in the ring/cage against other trained and resisting fighters. your instructors should generally be good competitors or, if they are older/not good at competing, produce good competitors. if they tell you their techniques are too dangerous for competition, run away...fast.

at this place, you will not:
1. get in really good shape or be challenged to step it up physically
2. learn to grapple well
3. learn to strike well

now, im sorry to bust on this academy, especially since you didnt ask for any feedback on it. but, since you're posting in the GRAPPLING forum on an MMA site, i'm assuming that you want to learn to grapple...maybe the grappling-oriented jiu jitsu...which is brazilian jiu jitsu. judo, sambo, and wrestling are other good grappling arts, but i know that sambo and wrestling instruction is pretty hard to come by over here in nyc...so bjj or judo would probably be your best bet. try them both out.

Thanks for all the welcome feedback folks. Most were correct, as this isnt focused on pure grappling like bjj. Not in sacramento, but is actually in redding, ca about 3 hours north of there. Anyways, im still looking for a decent school but distance is an issue as i have to drive an hour to even get to redding. The only MA offered here in weaverville, ca where im at is Aikido which ive no interest in. Anyways, ill keep looking and troll the forums.

I know how you feel, man. There aren't any BJJ dojos around here, either. One, though, that's about 40 or so minutes away. But, in the weather we have around here, I won't be traveling there in the winter. I started judo on Tuesday, first class, and today I'm sore as hell. I love it! Class again tonight. I can't wait. Anyway, these guys on the forums give great advice, so take it, but sometimes with a grain of salt. Welcome, too.

I think colinm is correct with this one. At least from viewing the site, it seems that this place has mcdojo like quality to it. Also good for you staying away from aikido, I don't think that is what you are looking for.

Here is a link to to some schools I searched for you. Let me know if any are in your area, or if you've already done this search:

Search for Weaverville, CA

FStep said:
i've lifted weights and played sports my entire life and i was in good shape when i started grappling ... let me tell you it didn't help me 1 bit on the matt its just completely different conditioning, the only thing that will help your cardio in grappling is doing a lot of grappling
This apply vise versa as well.. I can fight 5-10 fights a day and be semi tired.. but still able to gain my compsure and walk off the mat.

I went MB riding at a local trail for an hour and a half.. my ass and back hurt so bad. and though i wasnt breathing hard.. my body was so exhuasted..

Same with running, i can do a little bit better because of my cardio at grappling. but it still doesnt replace the cardio gained for running, by running.

Back