Non stop building of homes...

I live in the Bay and see it all over. This area was mostly developed over 100 years ago and was not done with the expectation of 3/4 of the world's population wanting to live here. So developers are desperately taking any strip of land available and throwing a ton of closely built houses together. The Bay is the extreme, but anyplace with jobs is experiencing all the issues of the Bay. A result of us going to a service economy where most livable jobs are in a few economic hubs. It's the old urban vs. rural boom and bust taken to an extreme.

10 years from now when the economy shifts again, Martinsburg, West Virginia will be the top destination for affordable housing.
Everyone will start moving there.

10 years ago no one ever thought about moving to Boise, Idaho or bumfuck Nebraska.
Now those destinations are becoming expensive to live due to people buying up real estate there.

There's good news for Canadians trying to move down South.
The entire state of Arkansas is there for the taking. :D

Houses are still being built out here in Dallas, but the price of lumber has gone up so much that it really has become a game for the elite. Lower middle class / lower class has little to no chance for a nice house AND a nice area.
Yep i'm in DFW as well. Areas that use to be more working class (Mid Cities, East Plano, East Richardson, North Garland) are now all upper middle-class. 5 or 6 years ago you could easily be lower middle and live in those areas, not anymore.

It's strange to me when I see a house that's 3 feet from another house. Why is that even a thing?
And they expect us to build scaffolding in between to brick the motherfucker. Glad I don't do residential anymore.

There's basically nowhere to build but up in San Diego county. There seems to be condos going up everywhere which I guess makes sense considering how expensive single family homes are.

Yes. The CA housing crisis is because there has been a housing shortage for decades.

They can thank their psychotic government officials for that. As a builder in a blue state I wouldn't touch the Bay Area with a 10 foot pole:

Its terrible to see whats become of the Bay Area(RIP) in my lifetime
This used to be such a wonderful place to live with so much opportunity and an amazing quality of life
Now everyday is a little less beautiful and a lot more struggle, quality of life is in a freefall while cost of living is skyrocketing with no signs of stopping
Such a shame
And the giants suck lol

Here they are called "monster homes" where the house takes up the whole lot with no backyard sideyard. They often claim the entire front of the house is their driveway, so no street parking and they don't have enough on site parking, so their tenants must park on the street that already has greatly reduced street parking due to the entire front of house is "driveway".

It's really is like foreign investors turning a house into a multi-unit condo.

We call those "McMansions".

To be fair it depends a lot on the kind of houses that are being built doesnt it? In the UK anyway its affordable housing that has serious shortages not £400K detached houses yet around me its pretty much only the latter being built.

They've been building a lot of apartments near me in the UK but big chunks end up getting bought up by Chinese and Russian investors.

Its terrible to see whats become of the Bay Area(RIP) in my lifetime
This used to be such a wonderful place to live with so much opportunity and an amazing quality of life
Now everyday is a little less beautiful and a lot more struggle, quality of life is in a freefall while cost of living is skyrocketing with no signs of stopping
Such a shame
Welcome to the party pal

I live in the Bay and see it all over. This area was mostly developed over 100 years ago and was not done with the expectation of 3/4 of the world's population wanting to live here. So developers are desperately taking any strip of land available and throwing a ton of closely built houses together. The Bay is the extreme, but anyplace with jobs is experiencing all the issues of the Bay. A result of us going to a service economy where most livable jobs are in a few economic hubs. It's the old urban vs. rural boom and bust taken to an extreme.
This is really the crux of it. The jobs and opportunities are in a limited area. Everyone can't just move to Wyoming if there are no jobs there.

The Seattle suburbs have been the same way. Neighborhoods with houses sandwiched together, almost non existent front or back yards.

Im here just south of the SF bay area. Everywhere is just non stop construction of homes and apartments. The homes are packed together it is really gross.

I guess this is just the way of the world? Just too many damn people

Happening in my part of the OKC metro. We've lived in our home for almost 14 years and the number of new subdivisions and apartment complexes that have gone up in that time is crazy. Schools are building new classrooms and brand new campuses as well. Where are all of these people moving from?

I really wish developers would rebuild older neighborhoods and stop putting up homes in every vacant parcel of land . . . I'd rather drive by and see cows and hay bales than all of those stupid homes.

Makes sense... especially with the water situation getting worse.
I'd probably go nuts. There's three houses on our country mile, and two are on opposite side of ours.

We have a major shortage here, and it's my understanding that's common across the US. I'd love to see some construction going on.

We have a major shortage here, and it's my understanding that's common across the US. I'd love to see some construction going on.

I get that the number of homes available to buy might be a lot lower today than it has been in the past, but it sure seems like they're building them like crazy all over the OKC metro. Practically stacking them on top of each other. I pray that one day we will be able to sell our current home and buy a place out in the middle of no where away from other people.

It's strange to me when I see a house that's 3 feet from another house. Why is that even a thing?
It's common in Asia. People build a house almost as big as their property size, leaving very little room between houses. In Asia it is common for homes to be seperated by walls , while here in the US walls and fences are rare, with people preferring open yards.

Many years ago I read an article that Chinese and other Asians were building these massive Asian style houses in Canada that aesthically clashed with established Western style architecture and left little yard space. They were either going against local regulations or new regulations were brought in to combat this Asian home building style.

I sure as heck hope we don't adopt the Asian and MidEaster home building style, it's just ugly and leaves little yard space.

Back