Non - MMA fighters you would like to see try MMA

NHB7

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
What non - MMA fighters (maybe another combat sport, maybe football, whatever) would you like to see try to transition to MMA?

Wathcing Xavier Vigney the other night...I think if that guy learned some takedown defense, he would tear it up at HW.

[YT]7_dDKWmyz4k[/YT]

[YT]4w3I2nQH6JQ[/YT]

None. I don't like seeing people who do not have an MMA skill-set try MMA. Where is CM Punk anyway?

What I do want to see is more NCAA wrestling and Olympic wrestling standouts get cross-trained into MMA.

None. I don't like seeing people who do not have an MMA skill-set try MMA. Where is CM Punk anyway?

What I do want to see is more NCAA wrestling and Olympic wrestling standouts get cross-trained into MMA.

Well that's the point. What great competitors in other sports would you like to see try some cross training and then compete in MMA? I'm not expecting a good kickboxer to just step in the cage and hope for the best. I'd expect him to train with good wrestlers and submission fighters for a year and then try it out.

Maybe a world class muay thai dude or a world class level boxer

What non - MMA fighters (maybe another combat sport, maybe football, whatever) would you like to see try to transition to MMA?

Wathcing Xavier Vigney the other night...I think if that guy learned some takedown defense, he would tear it up at HW.

Why Vigney and not a top heavyweight? A lot of kickboxing fans don't think much of him.

Vigney is horrible. slow, predictable, bad technique.

not sure if you have watched much Glory before, but this are the two best heavyweights right now:

[YT]JepNMIb_8b4[/YT]

Last edited:
The Junior Worlds are taking place this week (started already) for wrestling and along with Aaron Pico, who has already signed to Bellator, Anthony Valencia has stated that he'd like to compete in MMA in the future. Apparently Anthony and his brother Zahid also grew up doing other combat sports along with wrestling. He still has 4 years of college and then a possible Olympic birth before that though. I'd love to see someone like Spencer Lee or Daton Fix try MMA also but they have so much potential as wrestlers they'd probably have multiple Olympic runs. Neither of them are seniors in high school yet!

These guys:
6066734594529042_3fba4c346ced74b60dc479661d30ed39d94086d6dfd8bc283baf24c355943ca8_large

Why Vigney and not a top heavyweight? A lot of kickboxing fans don't think much of him.

Probably because Vigney's stand-up looks much more like MMA stand - up. Sounds like a joke, but a lot of time great kickboxers come to MMA and they get smoked because they can't modify their extremely refined craft. But a fighter like Vigney is already striking more like a mixed martial artist.

"The Pretty Killer" Iman Barlow, 22 years old (73-5-2, in muay thai and kickboxing)

11863371_997183683659576_6698405347426645860_n.jpg

Kyle Dake. One of the best NCAA wrestlers of all time. He's been adamant about not crossing over, but if he ever did, he'd kill it. On top of his world class wrestling, he's a pretty smart guy. I think intelligence goes a long ways in mma.

Back