Movies Non-Christmas movies you watch during the holidays?

Indians Jones Trilogy

Back to the Future

Harry Potter

It can be convincingly argued that Die Hard is absolutely and technically a Christmas movie, and that without Christmas as an element, the movie would loose a great deal of it's emotional punch.

Just my two cents.

It's not a Christmas movie if you could have it take place another time of the year. Die Hard could be on the 4th of July, or even not in a holiday season and it'd still be amazing. I feel like a "Christmas Movie" absolutely has to be at Christmas and couldn't exist at any other time of year.

I still watch Die Hard every Christmas, though.

Just my two cents.

It's not a Christmas movie if you could have it take place another time of the year. Die Hard could be on the 4th of July, or even not in a holiday season and it'd still be amazing. I feel like a "Christmas Movie" absolutely has to be at Christmas and couldn't exist at any other time of year.

I still watch Die Hard every Christmas, though.

Christmas and Christmas movies are oriented on the importance of family togetherness and selfless service.

∙ John McClane's motivation in traveling to Los Angeles (bearing gifts,btw) is to reconcile with his estranged family. So, right from the start, McClane's desire to reunite with his loved ones on Christmas aligns with the meaning of the holiday and is the perfect starting point for a Christmas movie.
(Using another holiday (July 4th per your example) would not be as meaningful and would be less effective on an emotional level that's why they didn't write it that way.)

∙ But the personification of greed (a Scrooge), Hans Gruber stands in the way of his goal. For the good of his wife and all others hostages he undertakes the likely fatal responsibility of saving the day.

∙ So we have a character in John McClane whose motivation is the first tenet of Christmas, family togetherness and he achieves his goal using the second tenet of Christmas, selfless service.

∙ And on top of all that Die Hard is littered with as many or more Christmas references than any other Christmas movies you'll see.

Last edited:
This is going to sound weird but Silence of The Lambs. I got the dvd for Christmas one year and watched it a lot so I’ve always had a weird association of that movie with the holiday season

Back