Non bias reasons why Cody has a real chance to beat Cruz

lets be real about how these things go down on mindless places like sherdog:

-until cody actually wins (not saying he will), no one will respect him
-if he actually wins, the first fight will be all about cruz and his fluke loss and why it happened - this will set up a second fight
-if cody wins the second, everyone talks about how they knew all along he was better and that cruz was an injured bum who couldnt finish anyone etc.

He doesn't look to been evolving much. He has plateaued and wont be getting any better.

100% true. All fighters get to a point where they stop getting better and slowly start to get worse

Dom has been slowing down in the later rounds ever since his return to the UFC( See Dillashaw and Faber 3)

100% true. Re watch the fights. Cruz slowed down significantly

He never is really able to hold guys down for any lengthy period of time.

100% true. If you want to point me to a fight where he gets top position for more than a minute

The only category that Cruz actually has a significant advantage in. But Cody will use his speed to counter it and make it less effective

100% true. Cruz wins fights due to footwork. He doesn't have a good sub game and he doesn't finish fighters on a regular biases

Cody has to connect and cruz doesn't get hit.

You are obviously clueless when it comes to high school wrestling, especially when it comes to Ohio Wrestling.
Lol

Ok I'll feed your trolling

What are codys exact wrestling credentials?

Cody will Box the shit outta the air around cruz. Get tired and tool'd by cruz for 5 rounds. And he will still have a bad neck tat.

it could be anyones fight. i would like to see cody win, just so that it shakes things up a bit, but cruz is pretty amazing.

Power is such a game changer. I honestly would not be surprised if he can catch Cruz.

100% true. All fighters get to a point where they stop getting better and slowly start to get worse
He's getting more powerful & smarter due to good health & analyst work/experience.

100% true. Re watch the fights. Cruz slowed down significantly
In RD5 of the third Faber fight Dom had arguably his most out put. Threw the third most strikes per round but also hit two takedowns. RD4 was about the same strikes wise.

In RD4 & 5 vs TJ, Dom landed more strikes in those rounds than the first three.

100% true. If you want to point me to a fight where he gets top position for more than a minute
Jorgensen, Demousetrious, both Benavidez fights, Lopez, Faber 3.

100% true. Cruz wins fights due to footwork. He doesn't have a good sub game and he doesn't finish fighters on a regular biases
It's not soley footwork. Has out struck(or even) & out wrestled all his opponents. Just cause his sub game hasn't been seen in fights doesn't mean it isn't good. Hell, he almost got DJ with an RNC but the dude has shown he's hard to sub. & he trains his anaconda choke a lot. It's probably his favorite sub.

Kind of similar to Aldo for comparison.

<{Ray3}>

He's getting more powerful & smarter due to good health & analyst work/experience.

In RD5 of the third Faber fight Dom had arguably his most out put. Threw the third most strikes per round but also hit two takedowns. RD4 was about the same strikes wise.

In RD4 & 5 vs TJ, Dom landed more strikes in those rounds than the first three.

Jorgensen, Demousetrious, both Benavidez fights, Lopez, Faber 3.

It's not soley footwork. Has out struck(or even) & out wrestled all his opponents. Just cause his sub game hasn't been seen in fights doesn't mean it isn't good. Hell, he almost got DJ with an RNC but the dude has shown he's hard to sub. & he trains his anaconda choke a lot. It's probably his favorite sub.

Kind of similar to Aldo for comparison.

<{Ray3}>

I'm too tired to argue with you right now but I know for a fact that Cruz was not able to lay on faber for long in the third fight cause I just got done watching it

I would also like to mention when I say slow down I am mostly talking about his movement not necessarily how many punches he throws

I'm too tired to argue with you right now but I know for a fact that Cruz was not able to lay on faber for long in the third fight cause I just got done watching it
Lol, well not as long as the others I mentioned. Promise ya that :p
But he held him down more than in the second fight.

Dom not being able to hold guys down is a huge myth. Short term memory taking effect on these MMA fans.

1. Age/wear&tear
  • Cody is 25 and is just entering his prime. The difference from his first fight to his last in mind boggling.
  • Dom is 31 years old with years of injuries cutting down on his prime. He doesn't look to been evolving much. He has plateaued and wont be getting any better.
He has only had three fights since coming back though, two of them dominations, and a close one with the second best guy at BW. Of course he's been evolving, his ability to get out of trouble while striking has only gotten better and better.

Cody on the other hand hasn't shown much more than hooks in his last two fights. Yes, he showed great ability at closing the distance and shutting off the lights of Almeida and Mizugaki, but he's gonna need more than that against Cruz. We also don't know if his defense has gotten any better since the Briones fight, in which he got caught over and over with looping shots.

2. Athleticism/Explosiveness/Cardio
  • Cody is the most athletic fighter Cruz has ever faced. So far in his only fights that went 3 rounds Cody has not slowed down at all. He also trains at TAM one of the best gyms for cardio
  • Dom has been slowing down in the later rounds ever since his return to the UFC( See Dillashaw and Faber 3)
Are you serious here? The only times we've seen Cody get to third round were against low level guys in Brimage and Briones, he shouldn't be looking gassed against guys of that caliber.

He still managed to arguably win the 5th round against Dillashaw, and kept getting the better of Urijah despite having slowed down a bit. He's always pushing the pace in his fights, so it's no wonder that he's going to somewhat gassed late in the fight. He's going to make Cody work, so don't be surprised if Garbrandt's "masterful cardio" ends up failing him.

3. Striking
  • Cody is the best boxer Cruz has ever faced. Fastest hand speed and most KO power. Cody went 32-1 as a boxer before coming over to MMA. Cody has been training in boxing since the age of 15 by his uncle a former Olympic boxing alternate
  • Cruz is a very sloppy striker considering how much of a reach advantage he has over most fighters at BW. With the type of angles he creates on guys you would expect him to have more fights finished by strikes
Fast and heavy hands don't mean shit if you can't land on your opponent, which Cody could, if he didn't rely so much on getting in close and swinging hooks. That will make him very predictable, and, unless he catches Cruz early, I don't see him getting the better of Dominick as the fight goes on.

Cruz is only sloppy when he's on the offensive, but he's great at moving away from danger.

4. Wrestling
  • Here is where most people sleep on Garbrandt. He is a former All-American high school wrestler who got interest from Division 1 college schools before transitioning to boxing. He also trains at TAM one of the best wrestling gyms in MMA. He has been training wrestling with Chad Mendes and Faber for this fight.
  • Cruz uses wrestling for points. He never is really able to hold guys down for any lengthy period of time.
The takedown will still be useful to stop Cody from getting any momentum though, and it's definitely going to be there whenever he tries to close the distance against Cruz. And the reason why is simple, because Dominick has great timing with it.

Cody definitely has a chance, but I don't think it's likely that he wins. He has the speed and power to prove me wrong though, but not the skill.

Back