Non bias reasons why Cody has a real chance to beat Cruz

TheRuthlessOne

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
1. Age/wear&tear
  • Cody is 25 and is just entering his prime. The difference from his first fight to his last in mind boggling.
  • Dom is 31 years old with years of injuries cutting down on his prime. He doesn't look to been evolving much. He has plateaued and wont be getting any better.
2. Athleticism/Explosiveness/Cardio
  • Cody is the most athletic fighter Cruz has ever faced. So far in his only fights that went 3 rounds Cody has not slowed down at all. He also trains at TAM one of the best gyms for cardio
  • Dom has been slowing down in the later rounds ever since his return to the UFC( See Dillashaw and Faber 3)
3. Striking
  • Cody is the best boxer Cruz has ever faced. Fastest hand speed and most KO power. Cody went 32-1 as a boxer before coming over to MMA. Cody has been training in boxing since the age of 15 by his uncle a former Olympic boxing alternate
  • Cruz is a very sloppy striker considering how much of a reach advantage he has over most fighters at BW. With the type of angles he creates on guys you would expect him to have more fights finished by strikes
4. Wrestling
  • Here is where most people sleep on Garbrandt. He is a former All-American high school wrestler who got interest from Division 1 college schools before transitioning to boxing. He also trains at TAM one of the best wrestling gyms in MMA. He has been training wrestling with Chad Mendes and Faber for this fight.
  • Cruz uses wrestling for points. He never is really able to hold guys down for any lengthy period of time.
5. Footwork/movement
  • The only category that Cruz actually has a significant advantage in. But Cody will use his speed to counter it and make it less effective

inb4 didntread.gif

Last edited:
1. Age
  • Cody is 25 and is just entering his prime. The difference from his first fight to his last in mind boggling.
  • Dom is 31 years old with years of injuries cutting down on his prime. He doesn't look to been evolving much. He has plateaued and wont be getting any better.

Dominick's still pretty young and I think after Dillashaw and Faber III it is safe to say that he overcame his injuries.

• Cody is the most athletic fighter Cruz has ever faced. So far in his only fights that went 3 rounds Cody has not slowed down at all. He also trains at TAM one of the best gyms for cardio
  • Dom has been slowing down in the later rounds ever since his return to the UFC( See Dillashaw and Faber 3)

Cruz is a cardio monster. I don't think he faded at the last Faber fight unlike some people claim.

3. Striking
  • Cody is the best boxer Cruz has ever faced. Fastest hand speed and most KO power. Cody went 32-1 as a boxer before coming over to MMA. Cody has been training in boxing since the age of 15 by his uncle a former Olympic boxing alternate
  • Cruz is a very sloppy striker considering how much of a reach advantage he has over most fighters at BW. With the type of angles he creates on guys you would expect him to have more fights finished by strikes

Dominick Cruz is a "sloppy striker"? What the fuck, man?

4. Wrestling
  • Here is where most people sleep on Garbrandt. He is a former All-American high school wrestler who got interest from Division 1 college schools before transitioning to boxing. He also trains at TAM one of the best wrestling gyms in MMA. He has been training wrestling with Chad Mendes and Faber for this fight.
  • Cruz uses wrestling for points. He never is really able to hold guys down for any lengthy period of time.

Garbrandt's rassling is no better than Dillashaw's.

Cody obviously has a chance, he has crazy power, but I think you're massively underestimating one of the greatest fighters of all time in Dominick Cruz.

Cody is fast, hits hard and is unlikely to be hurt badly by Cruz' strikes. He can definitely win. I strongly favour Cruz on paper but I have this weird feeling like Cody is going to catch him suddenly and knock him out.

Big Cruz fan and have no love for No Love so I hope I am wrong.

Dominick's still pretty young and I think after Dillashaw and Faber III it is safe to say that he overcame his injuries.

Cruz is a cardio monster. I don't think he faded at the last Faber fight unlike some people claim.

Cody obviously has a chance, he has crazy power, but I think you're massively underestimating one of the greatest fighters of all time in Dominick Cruz.
can we stop saying he has crazy power until he KOs somebody worth a shit? His boxing is overrated too.

Rather than "age", it should be wear and tear. Age-wise Dom Cruz isn't so old that it'd be a huge factor.

Second, does Garbrandt really have fast hands? I admit I've never paid that close attention.

Cruz isn't a sloppy striker. He's a weird, unorthodox striker - mostly because he throws from weird angles and when he's dipping away and not planted in a regular fashion.

You're overvaluing what it means to be a high schoool all American .

Only way Cody wins is via power...but it's still a legit way to win

Cody has a punchers chance and Dom is aging (not old) with tons of injuries in his past.

Cody could make a big statement or more likely Dom will tool him for 4 out of 5 rounds.

Possible, definitely. Likely, no.

Cody is fast, hits hard and is unlikely to be hurt badly by Cruz' strikes. He can definitely win. I strongly favour Cruz on paper but I have this weird feeling like Cody is going to catch him suddenly and knock him out.

Big Cruz fan and have no love for No Love so I hope I am wrong.
I agree with this. Thankfully I feel Cruz isn't one to underestimate his opponent so I'd expect him to win this but I've been so wrong on predictions this year that I too get a feeling he may get clipped.

I could see Cody landing early but I just think Cruz weathers the storm and puts it on him either finishing him late or winning a lopsided decision.

You never know though.

I agree with you TS.

Cody has legit chances, he has good hand speed, good timing, he goes for the kill and if he gets Cruz in a good space to trade, he'll do it and he does carry power.

I do have a gut feeling he might take the upset, but i really hope this is another Cruz fight where we get worried about him being KO'd and he schools the guy to a decision.

Rather than "age", it should be wear and tear. Age-wise Dom Cruz isn't so old that it'd be a huge factor.

Second, does Garbrandt really have fast hands? I admit I've never paid that close attention.
Good call, Cruz definitely has some miles on him and his knees have obviously experienced plenty of strain.

I got Garbrandt by KO. That low hand style of fighting works against mediocre and slow fighters. Cody has better hands and is faster. I see Garbrandt clipping Cruz as he comes in with those loopy punches.

inb4 didntread.gif

I'd just like to point out that Dom is fighting 5 rounders not 3 so its pretty obvious that you can't compare the two in this scenario. Its apples and oranges. In fact in Doms last 4 fights he has spent more time in the cage than cody's entire pro career--- think about that. In his last ten fights he had 3x the amount of time in the cage and all of these but 2 have been title fights.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. Thankfully I feel Cruz isn't one to underestimate his opponent so I'd expect him to win this but I've been so wrong on predictions this year that I too get a feeling he may get clipped.
Yeah, my predictions have been awful this year too.

At least I'm 2/3 on McGregor!

He very well could beat Cruz. I disagree with him being the best athlete Dom has ever fought though. I don't even think he's top 5 most athletic out of all those guys.

Scary fight obviously but Cruz is just so smart. I think he will have this cocky kid figured out, and immensely frustrated by the end of round 2..

I think Cody has a chance and it isn't because of his skills. I will tell you why. I think his desire to win this one is so strong that he will hit is creative flow state. He will be at an optimal state of consciousness where he will be at his best to perform. He has the power to knock cruise out. I think he connects sooner than later. Cruz is one of the best to ever step in there, but I have a feeling it is Cody Garbrandt's time.

Back