Elections Nominated for another Speaker term, Pelosi says it's her last

Do you support a forced retirement age in Congress? If yes, when?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I’d say 65 anything past that your out of touch with most of the population at that point.

There is something to be said for wisdom and that’s what people in their 60’s have tons.

Look at the Queen of England. There is a reason she’s consulted by every Prime Minister.

Last edited:
Term limits in Congress, nah. Forced retirement at a certain age from Congress, yea.

Edit- I’d be fine with it at 70 even. Some of these people just don’t want to let go.
I'm surprised you support such an idea. The bottom line is that Dems had the chance to replace her many times, most notably in 2016, and voted not to. Why should we force someone to retire when their own peers still elect them to leadership roles?

Her age doesn't affect her legacy. If Willie Mays dies tomorrow, and someone says, "what do you think of his career?" And someone says, "GOAT." Would you say, "(giggle) he's 89"? Doesn't have anything to do with it. I don't know who her ideal or most likely successor is.
That's fair to say

That's two empty posts in response. No intelligent disagreement. At the very least, I think it should be obvious that she's been the best in any of our lifetimes.

Ok, no issue with her losing house seats in a cycle they were favored to gain seats in?

No problem with hamstringing more stimulus? (In before it was the Republicans/Senate fault and there was nothing Nancy could have possibly done)

Also, re: the Willie Mayes analogy — who would have wanted Willie Mayes on their team if he was 80 years old? It was time to move on DECADES ago.

Term limits in Congress, nah. Forced retirement at a certain age from Congress, yea.

Edit- I’d be fine with it at 70 even. Some of these people just don’t want to let go.
Would be interesting to see how both sides played out if there weren't ancient leaders controlling everything for ages. I'm personally not a fan of limits/forced retirement, as I feel like as long as people vote for them, then it's legit. But I also feel like the old guard can hinder some things - while at the same thing, keep things afloat (as far as party politics go).

Ok, no issue with her losing house seats in a cycle they were favored to gain seats in?

No problem with hamstringing more stimulus? (In before it was the Republicans/Senate fault and there was nothing Nancy could have possibly done)

Also, re: the Willie Mayes analogy — who would have wanted Willie Mayes on their team if he was 80 years old? It was time to move on DECADES ago.

I don't think it's the speaker's job to manage the betting odds or generally that they have all that much control over election outcomes.

Meh. I think that she did what she could. If it's inherently wrong to point out that the Speaker of the House doesn't control the Senate, then what do you say? Strongly disagree that she hamstrung more stimulus (can't even fathom why anyone would think that--it's like asking me why Bonds decided not to hit more home runs).

The analogy is illustrating the point that her age has nothing to do with her legacy. What she's accomplished stands on its own. I hope she'll add to it, but that wasn't the question.

Her age doesn't affect her legacy. If Willie Mays dies tomorrow, and someone says, "what do you think of his career?" And someone says, "GOAT." Would you say, "(giggle) he's 89"? Doesn't have anything to do with it. I don't know who her ideal or most likely successor is.
Would you put Willie Mays in as a pinch hitter of The World Series when he was 80?

Do we have ant data on House seats won-lost over the last 12 years?

I'm surprised you support such an idea. The bottom line is that Dems had the chance to replace her many times, most notably in 2016, and voted not to. Why should we force someone to retire when their own peers still elect them to leadership roles?

I think there’s a point in time where representation and leadership should turn over. For the president, two terms is pretty good for a single person to control a whole branch. For Congress, I think it benefits to have people there for careers to get well craft good legislation and form bipartisan relationships to get them passed but that eventually should have turnover as well. The courts make the most sense to keep long with less frequent shifts.

Why would you be surprised Id say that? If I had to guess, it would be that I’m not necessarily for absolutes when it comes to democracy for some parts of our system. You can also see that at times with how I see referendums. I think there are only a few good situations where those should be on a ballot.

I’d say 65 anything past that your out of touch with most of the population at that point.
People are healthier at 65 than ever before and the political class especially since they don't do any actual work. I'd be ok with 75 or 80, as that's really when you should be handing the reigns over to the next generation and focusing on family, charity, whatever IMO of course. I'm sure there are many exceptions of octogenarians doing incredible things, having sharp minds etc. but time to move on Gramps.

apparently, to Jack, she wasn’t really responsible for anything so...

She was responsible for the things that the Speaker of the House is responsible for. I don't see how this is so hard to grasp. You literally were blaming her for the Senate's actions. The SotH has nothing to do with the Senate and doesn't control election results.

You think it's Pelosi's age that makes her out of touch with most of the population more than the 9 figure net worth?
Both. I’ve posted in a thread before when I ask my Democrats friends how she’s worth that much it’s usually an awkward silence after.

What I’m saying is she’s the Congress woman for SF the streets are covered in turds and needles and u gotta wear leather shoes in case of stepping on said needles. Why is she the speaker of anything?

Would you put Willie Mays in as a pinch hitter of The World Series when he was 80?

Do we have ant data on House seats won-lost over the last 12 years?

The point of the analogy is that you can evaluate someone's legacy without expressing anger that they're old. Hell, some people who were really good at things aren't even alive today!

Henry Clay says hello. ;)
(As GOAT lol not her successor, although I’m not sure who is younger)

Both. I’ve posted in a thread before when I ask my Democrats friends how she’s worth that much it’s usually an awkward silence after.

What I’m saying is she’s the Congress woman for SF the streets are covered in turds and needles and u gotta wear leather shoes in case of stepping on said needle. Why is she the speaker of anything?

The streets of SF are not covered with turds and needles, and even if that absurd claim were true, that's a job for the city gov't. How are American adults that clueless about federalism?

Politicians should have an 8 year lifetime term limit and their salary capped at 100K.

It should be a public service that way more people should participate in.

Back